TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Ok, so that does make sense to me a bit. But doesn't that change where the hands sit?

The hands stay the same. It changes the orientation of head slightly, assuming you address and swing the club the same way.

All the sole plate does is raise or lower the back of the club, effectively turning the club in your hand slightly.

Not sure if the weights are the same as was used in the R9, etc.

I didn't tighten them all the way in my test, but the weights seem to be the same as all the previous ones. I played around a bit between the R1 and SuperTri with weights and adapters to see what would and wouldn't fit.

As part of testing or just general consumer? Since it is a standard TM wrench I am sure they can be found all day on eBay. Not sure if the weights are the same as was used in the R9, etc.

In general really, I'd like to be able to play around with weights at some point

I don't even use the wrench that came with.........seems lighter and cheaper if that makes sense......previous model wrench performs much better. ...

In other news, I shorten my R1 by 3/4" and results have improved immensely!

I also found that teeing lower works better to gain center strikes.....

Time to do some testing
D7B18CC2-7023-4AAF-8606-CE432D0E5218-35167-00001C3287EE90AA.jpg

Care to clarify? Forgive my ignorance of shaft properties.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/bag_drop/shaft_spining_splining_and_pureing_black_art_or_the_ultimate_tweak

Depending on the adapter technology, the spine orientation may not change (Callaway and Titleist adapters for two). The TaylorMade adapter is fixed to the shaft, so you would be rotating the shaft orientation.

There is a ridge around the adapter that varies in thickness which when it connects to the club head in different alignments is in fact changing the loft and face angles. It is not based on shaft spine positioning.

Thanks for the clarification.

Spining shafts is essentially a waste of time anyways (very minimal effect), I don't see any real reason to put a lot of worry over that if the club is a good fit.

Ignorance is such a bliss. Carry on... :clapp:

Had the chance to take the R1 out for a round today. Initial impression is that you have to try really hard to not hit this driver straight. It builds an incredible amount of confidence.

I will add a detailed post tonight. Really impressed with the R1, but further testing needed.

That is correct war eagle.

That's the way i ordered mine. 44 3/4 d4 swing weight.

Very interesting cookie!

Got out today to play with the r1!one thing I will say for sure very very forgiving. My miss is on the toe,minimum loss of distance. I hit 11/14 fairways today. Last 4 holes I went to pot,hooking everything.i changed loft from 8 3/4 to 10.5 on same hole same kinda ball and they were within 5 yards of each other. One was real high hit soft and one was mid/ high launch lot of roll. My launch at 8 3/4 is 14 and 1700 to 1900 spin,don't have a clue what it is at 10.5. I was hitting this driver where I usually hit my drives in the summer months.i need help with why I start hitting everything on the toe with hooks? I was hitting on the tow 75% of the time at the start of the round but they were straight or a baby draw. Then last 4 holes I started hitting them lower and a hook. My r1 is set on 8 3/4 1* open weights in neutral position d4 swing weight 44 3/4 length.

o and by the way I want to thank jb and the rest of you guys and girls for all the help and great info over past couple of years.This is defiantly the best golf site on the web.jb you should be proud.

I think I will be heading to the driving range on sunday for a session with the R1. That will help me test this more so than playing on the course anyway. I will do a more detailed test of some different loft settings and try to see what seems to work best. If there's anything you'd like me to check out or any comparison with my R11s that you'd like to see, please let me know!

Just caught up on the thread again. Great stuff guys.

MSB- Looking forward to your findings on the range session. I'm curious what kind of distance difference you see between the R11S and the R1 on solid hits and off-center hits. Also interested in the difference (if any) in ball flight when the R11S and R1 are set to the same loft. Thanks MSB!

I finally went to the local shop and hit the R1 today. Color me impressed. That thing was so easy to hit and was getting pretty awesome SS and carry numbers! Really has me pondering switching out my RBZ TP that I just got last summer.

Forgive me for skimming, but do any of the testers know how compatible last years RBZ tip would be with the R1 head? I understand that at the very best I would get maybe half the loft settings, but that would be fine as long as I could set it at 8.5 or 9*.

I want to apologize for being absent for a few days. My faithful old truth gave up the ghost and left me in a pinch to find a new truck. We'll get back to testing this week

Just caught up on the thread again. Great stuff guys.

MSB- Looking forward to your findings on the range session. I'm curious what kind of distance difference you see between the R11S and the R1 on solid hits and off-center hits. Also interested in the difference (if any) in ball flight when the R11S and R1 are set to the same loft. Thanks MSB!

Got ya Stan. Will try to get some answers for you tomorrow.

Well, pulled the trigger today and purchased the R1. Spent some time at GolfSmith tonight, (actually about 2 hours) and shot after shot after shot was 300 - 318. Had two 329 yarders and then this doozy....

pe5ysa2y.jpg

Still not a fan of the NASCAR graphics, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Great stick TM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I finally went to the local shop and hit the R1 today. Color me impressed. That thing was so easy to hit and was getting pretty awesome SS and carry numbers! Really has me pondering switching out my RBZ TP that I just got last summer.

Forgive me for skimming, but do any of the testers know how compatible last years RBZ tip would be with the R1 head? I understand that at the very best I would get maybe half the loft settings, but that would be fine as long as I could set it at 8.5 or 9*.
The rbz/r11/r11s/r9 tip is non-compatible with the r1 head.

Well, pulled the trigger today and purchased the R1. Spent some time at GolfSmith tonight, (actually about 2 hours) and shot after shot after shot was 300 - 318. Had two 329 yarders and then this doozy....

pe5ysa2y.jpg

Still not a fan of the NASCAR graphics, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Great stick TM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What shaft did you go with?? Did you go with the TP VERSION?

What shaft did you go with?? Did you go with the TP VERSION?

Yes, went with the TP version. Huge difference for me. The regular stiff was nice, but the TP made a world of difference.

Yes, went with the TP version. Huge difference for me. The regular stiff was nice, but the TP made a world of difference.
Is that an up charge? How much? How does that shaft differ from the regular shaft?

What loft were you using?

To my understanding the TP version of the Phenom is 10 grams heavier and the real deal. Not a 'made for' shaft like the regular R1. So, that being said, it's $500, not $400.

I was playing the loft at 8.5 degrees. Heavy weight in the toe. Light on the heal. Sole plate at neutral.

To my understanding the TP version of the Phenom is 10 grams heavier and the real deal. Not a 'made for' shaft like the regular R1. So, that being said, it's $500, not $400.

I was playing the loft at 8.5 degrees. Heavy weight in the toe. Light on the heal. Sole plate at neutral.
Its still a made-for, it still has the graphics

Back