TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

TaylorMade R11 Testing/Review
Date: October 17, 2011
Course: Back Creek GC, Middletown DE
Climate: 70* or so and windy
Testing Clubs: TaylorMade R11 Irons w/Graphite
Previous Clubs: Callaway Razr X Tour
Ball: Bridgestone B330RX

Yesterday I finally got out for a round of golf after taking more then a week off to get a kinked up neck "straightened" out. I knew it might not be my best ball striking round after a week with no range but I went anyway. I started with some range balls and immediately I saw why I like the R11's so much. I was hitting them very very good. Actually I was getting nervous because I was hitting them so well. Usually if I hit the ball good before my round I struggle out on the course. Not sure why that happens. Then I moved to the woods and it became clear it was going to be a rough day off the tee. Again. So this meant Id get lots of work with the longer irons and plenty of looks from the rough.

My tee game didn't disappoint. I decided to play the forward tees to hopefully ease the pain a bit but still faced a lot of long iron shots. And most of the time from the rough. The times I was in the FW it was a long way away. So I decided to hit the 4 and 5 irons for most of my approach shots even though they wouldn't go 230 yards. Did I ever come away impressed yet again. I struggled a few times with the 4 iron yesterday but the 5 was my friend. Probably my best shot of the day came with the 5 iron. It was hole #17. It usually plays around 160 ish across a pond. With the wind we figure its closer to 180. One guy hits his 4 and hits the green. I grab the 5 iron and caught it clean. It went high but more then held its own in the wind landing in the middle of the other guys ball and hole. He was impressed and after telling me that he has a set of TM TP CB's or MB's on order, I think he might have had second thoughts. We talked about fat shots a bit and I saw virtually none yesterday. This tells me Im becoming quite comfortable with the R11's as Im hitting them better and better.

I had lots of shots from the rough so this was something I wanted to talk about. I found them to cut through the rough with ease yesterday. I think this was the first time Ive been in rough like this much and this thick. A few weeks ago at Rock Manor was close. It seemed almost every shot was from it yesterday though and I came away impressed. Did I have to alter my swing a bit, yes. Did I have to club up? Yes. Did I see a club that worked from the rough as advertised? Yes.

Ball flight. Another positive. High, straight and with good distance. Even in the wind I really didnt see too much ballooning. Just once actually from the AW out of the rough. I caught that one a hair too thick and came up short. I saw a ball flight that would land soft which is always a good thing from bad lies. Overall though, the ball flight was excellent.

One other thing I wanted to hit one was using the PW for a toe down chip shot from about 10 yards off the green. I had to deal with three different elevations with the last one coming right before the hole. Set up like Tadashi talked about in his chipping lesson with the toe down. Hit it perfect with the ball rolling up the last little shelf leaving me a makable par putt. Worked to perfection.

I really came away from a day that saw bad score with even more love for the R11 irons. Shafts included. I continue to be impressed with the graphite. No issues with ballooning at all and Ive become used to the extra length too. Up to this point Im seeing forgiveness, an iron as long as any Ive played and great looks. I think they really are a complete package.

How many of the testers have the 3 iron? I have been pondering these irons and wonder if I should go 3-PW or 4-AW. I have a 52* wedge that could be bent to make up for the AW. I have been really loving my 3 iron in the R9 TP set I have. Life's choices are so hard.

Id say stick with whats working and go with 3-PW. Now, having said that I really really like the AW in the R11 set. But I also dont hit a 3 iron so for me the choice would be easier.

How many of the testers have the 3 iron? I have been pondering these irons and wonder if I should go 3-PW or 4-AW. I have a 52* wedge that could be bent to make up for the AW. I have been really loving my 3 iron in the R9 TP set I have. Life's choices are so hard.

Just an FYI, the loft on the R9TP 3 iron is 21.5* and the loft on the R11 4 iron is 21*. not much difference, I say go 4-AW

Same here as Tadashi 4i - 9i PW, AW with graphites. I carry a hybrid 3, but have contemplated the 3i because I love the 4i.

Good thoughts, OEM. Nothing like a bad day off the tee for giving you a chance to work on those long approach shots.

Do you see any noticeable gaps between your hybrid and 4 iron?

get the stock AW.

I am really pondering these. I mean really. I want them. You guys testing these and guys gaming these have sold me. I dont admit to that often

great update Kev....do you think these will stay in your bag for a bit?

get the stock AW.

I am really pondering these. I mean really. I want them. You guys testing these and guys gaming these have sold me. I dont admit to that often

I am in the same ponder boat. I think I going to wait till around Christmas, when the golf deals come into play. Maybe if I go 4-AW and pick up a 17* 3w that would work. hhhhhmmmmm

I am in the same ponder boat. I think I going to wait till around Christmas, when the golf deals come into play. Maybe if I go 4-AW and pick up a 17* 3w that would work. hhhhhmmmmm

I wonder if we can find a place that would give us a 2 set deal.

Shoot a PM to Patty and tell her what you guys want.

TaylorMade R11 Testing/Review
Date: October 17, 2011
Course: Back Creek GC, Middletown DE
Climate: 70* or so and windy
Testing Clubs: TaylorMade R11 Irons w/Graphite
Previous Clubs: Callaway Razr X Tour
Ball: Bridgestone B330RX

I really came away from a day that saw bad score with even more love for the R11 irons. Shafts included. I continue to be impressed with the graphite. No issues with ballooning at all and Ive become used to the extra length too. Up to this point Im seeing forgiveness, an iron as long as any Ive played and great looks. I think they really are a complete package.
Thanks for the info OEM. I left my round Sunday with the EXACT same feeling. Worst scoring I've seen since and NBA final :D, but felt it was the most successful round of golf I've played in forever. I have found a comfort zone over the ball and have continued to see confidence build with each shot.

Sunday I went for it on almost every shot (as I was behind early) and these clubs didn't fail me. Only 2 times did I lay up during my round. I played more aggressively than ever before and really didn't feel I "missed" anything. If I putt well, I win my match by 9..instead lose by 1. Amazing.

great update Kev....do you think these will stay in your bag for a bit?

I sure do. I really hit them well and am loving the graphite.

Good thoughts, OEM. Nothing like a bad day off the tee for giving you a chance to work on those long approach shots.

Do you see any noticeable gaps between your hybrid and 4 iron?

Actually I think they might be a little too close. I couldnt find a hybrid in the * I wanted and went with the one I did because I liked the 21* so much. Plus I can adjust it.

Thanks for the info OEM. I left my round Sunday with the EXACT same feeling. Worst scoring I've seen since and NBA final :D, but felt it was the most successful round of golf I've played in forever. I have found a comfort zone over the ball and have continued to see confidence build with each shot.

Sunday I went for it on almost every shot (as I was behind early) and these clubs didn't fail me. Only 2 times did I lay up during my round. I played more aggressively than ever before and really didn't feel I "missed" anything. If I putt well, I win my match by 9..instead lose by 1. Amazing.

Maybe it's time to ponder a new putter so it doesn't hold back those awesome R11 shots? But that's for another thread.

Thank you TC, your review of the Programs definitely helped make the decision. I will try post more pics definitely later today.

I wonder if we can find a place that would give us a 2 set deal.

They always do those deals were they give you $150 more than the PGA value around Christmas.

Let's see what patty would do

Tapatalkin

Kevdog I really like your latest and greatest. The more I read about these graphites the more I want the 3i in graphite for pinpoint tee shots. Glad the chipping tip worked out for you. I really enjoy chipping with these clubs. Everything about the release, check and feel. Very positive experience.
Hope your neck feels better!!

great write up Kev im going nuts at work not being able to hit i should make the range on thursday and then the fall get together is this weekend i can't wait. i just wanna hit these and get them more and more dialed it. i havn't hit that many shots from the rough with these irons yet but the ones i have had been nice. my driver has been really great lately. been hitting more fairways which has improved my iron play also.

Per TGW.com, they have a $10/club upcharge listed on the Nippon 950 shafts in the R11 irons. Your best bet would be to contact a golf shop around you that could order the irons as a custom order for you, they will be able to tell you if that is accurate.

thanks for the help will check with my local pro to see what they say

This thread is so tempting. I'm really thinking that these irons could be perfect for me. I have a fairly low ball flight and struggle to stop the ball on the greens. These seem perfect, but I'm gonna have to save up! I'm between updating my irons or replacing my rusted up wedges....... Hm........

This thread is so tempting. I'm really thinking that these irons could be perfect for me. I have a fairly low ball flight and struggle to stop the ball on the greens. These seem perfect, but I'm gonna have to save up! I'm between updating my irons or replacing my rusted up wedges....... Hm........

Glad to see you reading through all the reviews NB. The testers and MC are really enjoying our irons

I got a chance to hit the 7 iron today with a launch monitor. I normally hit my 7 iron 160, but I was consistently hitting the R11 175. Needless to say, im blown away.

I got a chance to hit the 7 iron today with a launch monitor. I normally hit my 7 iron 160, but I was consistently hitting the R11 175. Needless to say, im blown away.

Those are some serious numbers, they do fly..... Did you get any other numbers?

Honestly that doesn't surprise me. The R11's are pretty long when struck well. I'm not that long but I'm not a long knocker either.

Nice distance for a 7 iron. I'm still way more impressed with the accuracy you get with these irons but they are def not slouching in the distance category.

I only had about 5 minutes, and I grabbed the 7 iron, knowing I have that distance dialed on my current set. I caught one off the toe that went 160, but that's still a long way for a 7 iron. I hit it about 10 times, and I really crushed one that went 181. (That's a normal 5 iron on my current set).

Back