TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

Is anyone seeing positives with the club.
I mean does my one like it, the entire package. The length seems to an issue, the shaft is an issue, the groove on the bottom is an issue. Any positive take aways?

I like that is it lighter than my gamer. I am also starting to enjoy the graphics on the head of the club.

Overall as far as performance goes I need more time with this club off the deck and the tee.

I mean does my one like it, the entire package. The length seems to an issue, the shaft is an issue, the groove on the bottom is an issue. Any positive take aways?

There have been quite a few positive thoughts posted in the testing. More raves than rants, which they really aren't even rants. Even in my initial write up, I believe I had 3 pros to only 1 con. Are we only supposed to talk about the positives?

I like that is it lighter than my gamer. I am also starting to enjoy the graphics on the head of the club.

Overall as far as performance goes I need more time with this club off the deck and the tee.

I will say, first thing I noticed next to the Classic is just how light this one feels, kinda took me aback at first. Not in a bad way though.

I think the overall performance with the Stage 2 is great. Like I said in an earlier post, I think the Stage 2 will end up in my bag. My confidence with it is growing each time I use it. The shaft is lighter than what I used to, so it's an adjustment for me.

The truth is I really like the club Freddie. The control and this distance has actually been outstanding for me. I could definitely enjoy a stiffer shaft, but the stock offerings is actually quite good. I just can't go full tilt with it, and that is ok. I don't have an issue with that. The contol of the ball is paramount with a 3W for me and this club has delivered it. The distance is a bonus. I like this club enough that I am looking into the hybrid now. Very curious about the results that this club can offer to me. If these both have similar results long run, I may have a new top end to my bag soon.

I will say, first thing I noticed next to the Classic is just how light this one feels, kinda took me aback at first. Not in a bad way though.

I agree not a bad thing but I feel for me It may be affecting me mentally,I feel so comfortable with my Nike but this club I haven't had the same results. Just a little frustrating if nothing

The truth is I really like the club Freddie. The control and this distance has actually been outstanding for me. I could definitely enjoy a stiffer shaft, but the stock offerings is actually quite good. I just can't go full tilt with it, and that is ok. I don't have an issue with that. The contol of the ball is paramount with a 3W for me and this club has delivered it. The distance is a bonus. I like this club enough that I am looking into the hybrid now. Very curious about the results that this club can offer to me. If these both have similar results long run, I may have a new top end to my bag soon.

Well said. I will add that there is usually an adjustment period to new equipment for me (I am still getting used to the feel of the Stage 2) and I struggle with new stuff initially, but I have had no "getting to know you" issues with the Stage 2. Literally, from the first shot I took with the Stage 2, it's been really good results.

There have been quite a few positive thoughts posted in the testing. More raves than rants, which they really aren't even rants. Even in my initial write up, I believe I had 3 pros to only 1 con. Are we only supposed to talk about the positives?

Nope not at all, I asked questions I wanted answers to.

Nope not at all, I asked questions I wanted answers to.

No problem. I know it wasn't your intentions and with all due respect, the tone of that seemed a little out of left field, as if we were going out of our way to criticize the club. I was just wondering, because I and others have commented positively in the thread on many of the things you asked there.

I actually see a lot of positives with this club. As with most every tool we use, opinions vary across the board but there seems to be a common census with the shaft. I have noticed from the very beginning, the shaft not feeling "comfortable to me".

Whether it be the swing weight difference, or recently noted...the flex coming in almost borderline X on the Stiff (Going to take a measurement this week as well to see if my is the same). I still haven't put my head around what it is for me yet, need more action time with it. The groove, shaft length, or crown are of a non issue for me personally. This club just puts it out there and when I give it a chance, it is very accurate as well.

Really looking forward to the duels that are possibly coming up and getting more input from others.

I actually see a lot of positives with this club. As with most every tool we use, opinions vary across the board but there seems to be a common census with the shaft. I have noticed from the very beginning, the shaft not feeling "comfortable to me".

Whether it be the swing weight difference, or recently noted...the flex coming in almost borderline X on the Stiff (Going to take a measurement this week as well to see if my is the same). I still haven't put my head around what it is for me yet, need more action time with it. The groove, shaft length, or crown are of a non issue for me personally. This club just puts it out there and when I give it a chance, it is very accurate as well.

Really looking forward to the duels that are possibly coming up and getting more input from others.

Well said. The Stage 2 has been a cannon for me. Accurate too. I'm gonna be bagging it this weekend and can't wait to for the opportunity to use it.

Went to the range today and really enjoyed my time with the RBZS2! I got to the range around 9:30 and by 10:30 it was absolutely packed and people were waiting for baskets to fill with range balls! Was getting a mid penetrating ball flight, both off the Tee and the Deck. Was targeting a flag at 253 out and was seeing the same "get it out there" results I have seen from the beginning.

Just for a different viewpoint:

Spoiler
A guy I played with on one of the courses last fall showed up and he was using the original RBZ 3W. I asked if he wanted to try out the new model, and of course he was more than happy to. I didn't say anything to him about my experience to this point and he also had a Stiff in his club. We switched clubs and I hit his original RBZ (Stock Stiff), I immediately noticed a difference in the feel of the shaft feeling more responsive. I hit a couple with his club and waited for him to give me his thoughts. The first comment after handing it back to me was how the shaft felt stronger than a stiff flex to him, but then a smile came on. He couldn't say enough about how good the component felt and how the ball just took off. He was hitting off the deck and striping it down the center of the range.

I had a better feel with the shaft today knowing what to expect and didn't even take my other FW out of the bag. Was a big difference with not going back and forth between different shafts and could get a little more comfortable with it. So was a better day with the RBZS2 with getting to know the feel. It feels more on the borderline of an X flex to be honest.

I know there are several factors that make up a shaft rating and especially between different OEM's. I took it to GS and had them put it on their frequency analyzer and it came back at 6.6. I know from the specs that the tourque is rated at 4.5 and from what I understand as a GENERAL viewpoint...6.0 is the average starting point for a Stiff classification:
FrequencyGraph_Irons_Large.png

I would appreciate anyone that is more knowledgeable with these types of numbers to chime in and see what else to look at. Am I seeing that the stock shaft is built a little stronger? I will probably go back sometime this week and have them run the Regular Flex just for kicks.

Another great day with the RBZS2 and with the warm weather having it's way with the snow, hope to get out to a course later this week.

Glad you are starting to get a good feel for the club J4U. Like that you had someone playing the original RBZ give this a swing. Interesting that the shaft is almost an X. Does it effect how you are playing it?

Glad you are starting to get a good feel for the club J4U. Like that you had someone playing the original RBZ give this a swing. Interesting that the shaft is almost an X. Does it effect how you are playing it?

I don't think it affects how I am playing it, but I also understand that there are more variables in play that I do not have the answer for with the shaft. I'm getting the distance I like out of it and the dispersion is really good, so I have no complaints in those areas. Seeing those frequency numbers aids in understanding that "feeling" I've been trying to get my head around.

J4U, great write up, dude. Awesome that your buddy showed up and y'all could compare the Stage 2 and the original RBZ side by side. I'll admit, this whole shaft thing is a bit perplexing to me. It's just weird that thoughts on the stock offering are all over the board like they are.

I don't think it affects how I am playing it, but I also understand that there are more variables in play that I do not have the answer for with the shaft. I'm getting the distance I like out of it and the dispersion is really good, so I have no complaints in those areas. Seeing those frequency numbers aids in understanding that "feeling" I've been trying to get my head around.

All I'm hearing is good results. I was curious because I have the regular an it feels a little on the stiff side. To be honest, I think I would like it just a bit more stiff. I have enjoy the results that I am seeing though. I hope to get this in a few more THPers hands tomorrow and see how they like it. I think we will be having a few more folks commenting on the Stage 2 tomorrow night.

I'll admit, this whole shaft thing is a bit perplexing to me. It's just weird that thoughts on the stock offering are all over the board like they are.
My perplexing is starting to come into some light, but more time is needed me thinks.

All I'm hearing is good results. I was curious because I have the regular an it feels a little on the stiff side. To be honest, I think I would like it just a bit more stiff. I have enjoy the results that I am seeing though. I hope to get this in a few more THPers hands tomorrow and see how they like it. I think we will be having a few more folks commenting on the Stage 2 tomorrow night.
This would be some great input, especially with the feedback that's been given throughout the thread for comparison. I think I'm going to go and put the Regular head to head with the Stiff this week along with frequency check on the Regular. Look forward to the experiences tomorrow.

My perplexing is starting to come into some light, but more time is needed me thinks.

This would be some great input, especially with the feedback that's been given throughout the thread for comparison. I think I'm going to go and put the Regular head to head with the Stiff this week along with frequency check on the Regular. Look forward to the experiences tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing the results.

I've been enjoying following along and am lad y'all are getting some good numbers. Keep it up!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say about it. When I did the frequency test, it measured 6.9--well into the x stiff range but a good fit for me and my swing.

I will have an update posted tonight. I got out for 27 today and plenty of opportunity to hit the Stage 2.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say about it. When I did the frequency test, it measured 6.9--well into the x stiff range but a good fit for me and my swing.

I will have an update posted tonight. I got out for 27 today and plenty of opportunity to hit the Stage 2.

When you had it measured, what did they set the length in the clamp too ? I had mine clamped at 43"...or 1/2" from the butt.

Looking forward to your thoughts and I hope afw gets it out and about with others today!

When you had it measured, what did they set the length in the clamp too ? I had mine clamped at 43"...or 1/2" from the butt.

Looking forward to your thoughts and I hope afw gets it out and about with others today!

Sorry, man I have no idea. I had it measured twice and both times it was 6.9.

Edit: For clarification, I had it measured at two different shops.

Last edited:
I got out yesterday and played my local 9 hole executive course near my house and got some quality testing with the TBZ Stage 2.

35 degrees, some wind only about 10-12 mph and cloudy.

For this round I decided to only take the RBZ and left my Nike gamer at home, I thought this might help me get some much needed comfort with this club. I also used my Garmin S1 approach watch to get some actual real on course distances with this club. I really feel that this will be beneficial for me and my game and also for testing purposes.

I really started to feel comfortable with this club today and it started to show in some of the distances I was seeing. My first couple of swings with this club I just tried to swing easy and really let the club do the work and I began to really make some solid contact with the RBZ. This was great for my confidence.

On the 4th hole( Which is why I am Crest4 here, I used to live on this hole) which is a shorter par five with a dog leg right. I first hit driver then took the RBZ and actually thought I hit it pretty well and had my typical left to right ball flight with a pretty high ball flight, at bit more than I am used to so I was surprised to see the flight. This shot only went 175 yards but I began to feel my confidence building. On a side note, I love the sounds this club makes when you really catch one.

On the 5th hole which is a short par 4 that dog legs right and quite a bit down hill. Took driver first and hit it and caught the downhill perfectly rolled and I would up with a 257 yard drive. Feeling pretty good I took the RBZ and crushed one! Right in the center of the club.

IMG_20130302_113227_zpsa9a31d04.jpg

This one went a bit left due to my own poor aim but was about 216 yards! This hit felt absolutely great and again the sounds this club makes when you hit one well is unforgettable.

I then used the RBZ 3 times that I measured and got distances of 208, 208 and 205. These strikes didnt feel as pure as the one mentioned above but were decent hits and wound up finding the fair way. I also had 2 others that I sliced so badly that it was worth going in to much detail about, I consider those the outliers and being a high handicapper these things happen.

My last hit with the RBZ was the absolute best strike I have put on a ball with this club and man did it feel great! I also did not choke up on the club as I had previously been doing with all of the RBZ shots thus far in the round. Perfect ball flight my usual left to right and in great position in the fairway.

IMG_20130302_133823_zps31885900.jpg

This last strike had me seriously pumped and I walked off the course feeling pretty good. I still need more time with this club but after yesterday I have so much more confidence in myself with this club in my hands. I believe this last part will help me see increased numbers with the RBZ and I cant wait for it!

Nice update and glad you are starting to get more comfortable! Some nice contact marks on that club sir. What is that blue sphere in the first pic?

Nice update and glad you are starting to get more comfortable! Some nice contact marks on that club sir. What is that blue sphere in the first pic?

Thanks, it really is making a difference for me with this club.

It is the marker they use for the different tees, it is a nice cheap muni and about 2 minutes from my house.

Back