TaylorMade RSi 1 Irons Review Thread

You heard that too huh? Half an inch mishit on an iron is darn near missing the iron

I'd imagine we're talking toe side, right? Otherwise we're in shank territory.

I'd imagine we're talking toe side, right? Otherwise we're in shank territory.

As close to the heel without shanking it as you can get. Think Fupresti's photo

How do the long irons compare to a hybrid in terms of forgiveness and launch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do the long irons compare to a hybrid in terms of forgiveness and launch?

I preferred the 3 iron to any hybrid I have ever hit. The shot I got from it was what I have always wanted from a hybrid.

You heard that too huh? Half an inch mishit on an iron is darn near missing the iron

Yea, teaching could be a thing of the pass if you can start getting away with Mishits that bad

Seriously? I measured it. Half an inch is the width of my pinky finger at the tip. You 2 and 3 handicap guys need to spend more time with us mid-cappers :)

Seriously? I measured it. Half an inch is the width of my pinky finger at the tip. You 2 and 3 handicap guys need to spend more time with us mid-cappers :)

Flog and I have seen each other swing. We're terrible.

I think the point they're trying to make (and certainly what I've experienced in just beginning testing) is that when you feel like you've missed way out on the grooveless part of the toe and you think, "oh man that's like 15yds short of what I wanted" turns out to be still on the green and very much playable. If you tried that same contact with a players cavity or worse, a muscle back iron, you might not even come close to hitting the green complex.

I think we are on the same page. Coming at this from the mid capper perspective, I felt kind of demoralized to realize just the width of my pinky = 5-7 yard loss...a "damn it, I'm screwed at this game" kind of feeling.

I recently moved away from more of a players iron to a more forgiving club and got a pretty stark reminder about how nice it is to have equipment that helps us. There's just no way I can justify another golf expense, but I have to admit the added distance and forgiveness of this set and another OEM's offering have my attention.

I preferred the 3 iron to any hybrid I have ever hit. The shot I got from it was what I have always wanted from a hybrid.

Love hearing this! I like the idea of hybrids and their forgiveness, but i can't seem to hit hybrids well. I'm gonna see if I can hit a long iron when they hit the stores.

I think we are on the same page. Coming at this from the mid capper perspective, I felt kind of demoralized to realize just the width of my pinky = 5-7 yard loss...a "damn it, I'm screwed at this game" kind of feeling.

I recently moved away from more of a players iron to a more forgiving club and got a pretty stark reminder about how nice it is to have equipment that helps us. There's just no way I can justify another golf expense, but I have to admit the added distance and forgiveness of this set and another OEM's offering have my attention.
Very true.
I used to played forged irons thinking they would help become a better ball striker. Now I'm ok with admitting that I don't have the time or talent to hit player's irons.

Does anyone know when these will be in stores to hit the demos? Do we have to wait until 11/15?

Does anyone know when these will be in stores to hit the demos? Do we have to wait until 11/15?

I saw these at my local Golfsmith last Friday. The sales guy unboxed them while we were talking and I was killing time in the simulator. I'm sure they were available today there to demo.

Demos are supposedly out today along with fitting carts, with orders being shipped 11/15. That being said, YMMV from store to store.

!!!! Excuse me, I need to visit the HHJJ thread.

Ok these have my full attention. They look really good too. I'm all about forgiveness and high ball flight when it comes to my irons.

I've got to be honest, I'm not loving the looks of the RSi1. That said, the tech seems really cool and I can't wait to try them. I really like that they're sticking to this slot business.

When are the slot-faced drivers due?

So the RSi2 7i is pretty good, in a simulator at least.

930d096e7288a5c255de31917f61e3ad.jpg

blugold, what club were you hitting there? Spin numbers seem really low if it's a 6 iron.

Were you hitting those pretty low?
20 yards or roll on a 7 iron seems kind of crazy right?

Blugold - angle of decent seems a bit low on a handful of those shots. In fact, for a 7 iron all of those decent angles are pretty low Any idea what peak height was?

Definitely need to see the max height. The 20yds of roll is just dumb, but that's usually the case with all simulators and/or launch monitors. The carry though on a 7i near 200, that's uh.. That's pretty good?

blugold, what club were you hitting there? Spin numbers seem really low if it's a 6 iron.

Were you hitting those pretty low?
20 yards or roll on a 7 iron seems kind of crazy right?

Blugold - angle of decent seems a bit low on a handful of those shots. In fact, for a 7 iron all of those decent angles are pretty low Any idea what peak height was?
Yeah it was a simulator that was set to "driver fitting" I learned that after I posted that picture. That is probably why those spin numbers are so low.

Definitely need to see the max height. The 20yds of roll is just dumb, but that's usually the case with all simulators and/or launch monitors. The carry though on a 7i near 200, that's uh.. That's pretty good?

Something is amiss though. Not on blugold of course, but look at the roll, and then look at the spin numbers.

Something is amiss though. Not on blugold of course, but look at the roll, and then look at the spin numbers.

Yeah that spin is like a knuckleball for a 7i if that's accurate. Maybe the 17 and 1700 is a goal on irons too?

Yeah that spin is like a knuckleball for a 7i if that's accurate. Maybe the 17 and 1700 is a goal on irons too?

Based on blugold's last post, it appears that none of it is accurate. Hopefully he gets a chance to test this on a monitor that is working. Similar thing happened previously to him with the SLDR, so hopefully this shop gets things working.

yeah. Something is definately amiss. The launch angle seems fine. The ball speed seems fine. The spin is crazy bad. My 7i usually don't release 20+ yards.

Back