TaylorMade skipping 2019 PGA show

I'm indifferent here. If not for THPs coverage I wouldn't even know this show existed.
I am a bit surprised that Taylormade would skip it, but maybe in their case this is a signal of some positive change from a marketing perspective.

Overall, I think the show is a good opportunity for smaller brands and niche products. For the bigger brands of seems to lack buzz because we've already read and heard all about the products they are showing off. Theres nothing exclusive there.

The issue is, most of the EOMs have already launched their new product by the time the show rolls around. The PGA Show is mostly east coast PGA pros escaping the cold and hassling OEMs for free ****.

I absolutely loved going to the PGA Show but its hard to hype when its a recap of products we already know about.

Just as a outsider, the PGA show seems like it’s much more important to the smaller companies so they get their products seen and maybe get some connections. All the big OEM’s handle their own releases outside of the show, so I can see skipping it as being pretty inconsequential to their bottom line.

These are my thoughts as well. People aren't exactly going to forget about TaylorMade just because they skipped the show. A smaller brand has more to gain, which is why I think its an important show fwiw.

Do you think it might have a little bit to do with their new owners? A lot of the commitments for last years show were probably already in place, so this would be the first show fully under new management?

The question becomes is it important to go to a trade show and spend money when major companies aren’t there. I assume a stores open to buy dollars are allocated to just a handful of equipment, apparel and footwear companies. A show is for looking and comparing not for buying.Demo day looks awesome but just bring key buyers to your HQ and have them demo to their hearts content.

The question becomes is it important to go to a trade show and spend money when major companies aren’t there. I assume a stores open to buy dollars are allocated to just a handful of equipment, apparel and footwear companies. A show is for looking and comparing not for buying.Demo day looks awesome but just bring key buyers to your HQ and have them demo to their hearts content.

I honestly view that as an old model. I think when done right, a show for larger companies can be about making a presence and portraying that through digital messaging.
I also think there are a lot of variables when you move past clubs and balls and start talking about accessories and how much impact the green grass world can have on that.

For companies like shaft companies, I get it. Their core model is B2B. However with larger golf companies, the PGA Show can offer something that is different and a way to send a message to a large audience of influencers all at once.

Seriously what is the roi on the pga show? Besides connecting with your fans what else happens. So I get it but I also see TM making a come back so building on that is key. It’ll be interesting to see what direction they go.

First I’ve heard of this, but I’m not surprised. Cost savings should be substantial, and leaner is better in every instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it make any difference to have an "open to the public" day?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Would it make any difference to have an "open to the public" day?

Possibly for traffic, but it would still be hard because outside of some select instances, it would be hard to sell to consumers based on how licenses and taxes work I believe. @Ddec and I learned this at the NAB show last year.

Possibly for traffic, but it would still be hard because outside of some select instances, it would be hard to sell to consumers based on how licenses and taxes work I believe. @Ddec and I learned this at the NAB show last year.
Gotcha, never really thought of the sales aspect. I do wonder regarding education and product awareness at least. A lot of media coverage does provide that, but one on one consumer education is never a bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

An interesting side note to this as TaylorMade is stepping away from the show floor, Bridgestone and Mizuno are stepping back to it.

I would imagine the show is extremely important if you want to break into the industry or if you want to show off something that is totally new and revolutionary. For Taylor Made this is not a big deal.

An interesting side note to this as TaylorMade is stepping away from the show floor, Bridgestone and Mizuno are stepping back to it.

I think it makes some sense for them, at least as far as reaching a traditional audience. They both appear to be making a push back into the US market, this seems like a solid way to go.

A thought I hadn’t considered is that during the time TM was a part of Adidas I’m sure the booth and degree of entertainment was tremendous. As constructed now they probably aren’t able to match that spend and be good Stewart’s of the marketing budget. PErhaps it is a good time to reach the audience in new and different ways.

It’s a complete non issue for me. With modern technology and social media the PGA show is somewhat archaic.

I want the show to be a staple of the industry again. Not sure how they'll accomplish it, or whether it's even worth it - but I love the idea of the show.

Sucks that TM won't be there, but they are clearly going about things in their own way.

Definitely going to be nice to see B'Stone back there, and GOOD for Mizuno, they have some pretty solid momentum heading into this year IMO.

Whatever, I just want to see Wardy get laid out again.

Whatever, I just want to see Wardy get laid out again.

Just keep him away from the Kentwool booth. I will never have that image of his lustful gaze upon that sheep out of my nightmares.

I can't attend the PGA show so I don't really care if they show up. I don't think Taylormade really needs to worry about the industry insiders which is what this event targets anyway, its the general public they need to be more concerned with.

We just hardcore downsized for the industry tradeshow we go to but I couldn't imagine not having a presence there.

And from what understand filling the exact space that TM had prior to backing out and with a nice big close out discount price.

I do not know much about the show but from what I have seen/heard it seems a bit of an archaic set up. I had never even heard of this show until I started browsing THP. I also think that anyone should be able to attend, in a social media age information is quickly available to anyone and fewer people rely on getting that information from those who go to the show. I also think it would be cool to do something like the big gaming trade shows do where there are live product launches where lots of people get first looks at clubs and technology from different brands at the same time.
The way the show is set up currently I do not believe it matters as much if Taylormade is there or not because the information they used to rely on insiders to distribute can now be easily distributed through social media.

I can imagine that TM looked at a yearly line item list (probably a little too simplistic but you get the point) and sees the huge amount spent on the PGA show and that isn’t returning much on their investment.

Frees up a lot of cash, makes perfect sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannot complain if same amount of money is put to R&D.

Back