TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Interesting, so you'd say most of what is impressing everyone is purely in the heads? I read that the new shafts have quite a bit of tech in them as well.

I have been really impressed with the shafts on the Speedblades. Coming from S300 True Temper shafts, I was concerned that I might have some issues with the 85g stiff shafts. I can honestly say unless I really try to dial it up, the shafts on these irons have been fantastic.

If anything they have been really good at reminding me not to dial it up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been dealing with a bit of a stomach bug since I got home on Sunday, so I haven't been able to organize any more thoughts on these, but one thing I wanted to point out from my weekend out in Western NY before I forget.

On Saturday, amsmith61 and I were joined up with a single for our round. On one tricky par 4, we noticed he pulled an iron and layed up perfectly short of some fairway bunkers. We asked what club he used and he indicated a 7 iron. I then handed him my SpeedBlade 7 iron and asked him to hit another one. After briefly explaining what the club was, and where it came from, he put a nervous swing on it and caught it really thin. I asked a second after impact if he mis-hit it, and he responded with yes. The ball came down in the fairway, on the same line as his original, and 10 yards further.

So on a mis-hit, the ball was in the fairway 10 yards further than his flushed shot with his iron (he was playing a Burner Plus). He stated that it felt lighter and "really good" when he swung it.

I'm kicking myself for not having him try them some more.

I believe we got him to hit a couple more iron shots but you are - we should gotten him to hit more.

Each time he hit one of your irons compared to his Burners, he was longer. I remember the last time he hit one of the Speedblades he mentioned something about God and this irons feeling really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, for the multiple responses. Just as a follow up, I was over at my favorite local mom and pop (Dukes Golf in Annapolis, MD - an awesome shop) and asked them about getting fitted. They said that if I buy a set of irons, they don't charge extra for full fitting. And they do have a current TM fit kit/set. I asked them about their advice/experience with steel vs graphite, based on what I think I want in my next set of clubs. Without me prompting them, they offered to loan me both a steel and graphite Speedblade 7 iron to take out for the day to the range and/or a course so I can try them out. In the Washington/Baltimore Metro area we have every big box golf store you can think of, and I bet NONE of them would openly offer to loan me demo clubs for the day. Chalk one up for the mom and pop shop.

That is awesome!! They sound like they own a great shop!! Hit the clubs and go through the full fitting. I totally get you wanting to buy from a mom and pop shop, but some just can't provide the support that this one apparently can. Do they have a trackman or flightscope that you can hit with inside at a net?
Let us know how things work out and what you decide to go with.

Went and played a round this afternoon. Had several awesome shots with these and the guys that I'm playing with said that they have noticed how much better I'm hitting these irons than I was playing before. They're long, forgiving, and most of all confidence building clubs. If TM says the technological lifespan of irons is roughly 5 years, the set they come out with then must play themselves. I honestly can't see how you can improve on these clubs.

Just custom ordered 4-PW today!. I got them 3 degree flat as these irons are 1.5-2.0 degree upright to begin with and I need 1 flat. Also got them 1/2 in short to get them to standard length. I play reg shaft but ordered in stiff as 85 gram shaft will feel pretty light to me and I should be able to swing these abit harder I would think. Kept the lofts stock as I am used to stronger lofted irons.

Should have them in a week!. I ordered them without hitting them. I have hit the RocketBladez but not these irons.

Just custom ordered 4-PW today!. I got them 3 degree flat as these irons are 1.5-2.0 degree upright to begin with and I need 1 flat. Also got them 1/2 in short to get them to standard length. I play reg shaft but ordered in stiff as 85 gram shaft will feel pretty light to me and I should be able to swing these abit harder I would think. Kept the lofts stock as I am used to stronger lofted irons.

Should have them in a week!. I ordered them without hitting them. I have hit the RocketBladez but not these irons.

Awesome, waiting to hear your thoughts!

It has been non-stop rain here for the last week and it looks like it will just keep raining :banghead:

Hopefully the sun will be out on a weekend soon so I can get these on course again. Been to the range a few times and nothing too much to add on to previous thoughts. Still hitting them high and far!

I think with more and more hybrids in peoples bags a good distance iron could really help people close the distance gap between where the hybrids end and the iron begin. Hope you guys enjoy these they sound great.

War, Philly and O'carroll great stuff fellas!

War and Philly I'm not surprised by you guys seeing better results with a controlled/smoother swing with the lighter shafts.

O'carroll great stuff about the random guy hitting these and seeing better results even on miss hits.

Gents, I pre-ordered a set of these through GG earlier in September and boy did I have a surprise waiting for me when I got home. Can't wait to add some thoughts once I can get them on the course/range. I ordered the 4-AW + the SW & LW all with KBS Tour. Hope to see similar results as everyone else.

Gents, I pre-ordered a set of these through GG earlier in September and boy did I have a surprise waiting for me when I got home. Can't wait to add some thoughts once I can get them on the course/range. I ordered the 4-AW + the SW & LW all with KBS Tour. Hope to see similar results as everyone else.

That's a nice little set up you have gotten there! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and results.

Got out for another round today. After having them adjusted 2* up and a round underneath my belt, I can honestly say it is still mind blowing how well they perform. Hitting greens that I would have never been able to with club choices and execution I dreamed of. Exhibit A from today: a horribly designed par 4 playing about 445, trouble starting at 260 effectively taking me down to the 4 iron. Put a great swing on it and left myself about 205 out in the fairway. In perfect position, I ended up pulling 6 iron and hitting the green within 10 feet of the hole. First time I have EVER hit this green in regulation, and I have played the course a dozen times. This is just one of the many examples of how they're performing for me. Being able to club down, effectively increasing accuracy at the same time, has just been awesome to me and my psychology. Having been terrified of long irons in the past, these slotted irons have already instilled confidence that won't easily be broken, they have revolutionized the way I am able to visualize and play a course.

On a side note: I am also glad that so many people have searched through the thread, read, and ask questions. Being that this is my first testing experience, this has gone WAY better than I could have ever imagined. Seeing people say they are trying these out or even pulling the trigger on these based off of our findings is awesome. Thank you for making this experience one to never forget and THP for making this all happen.

@tpluff- I love your post. It reminds me of my experiences on course with the RocketBladez, as well as the satisfaction I got seeing new people try the clubs based on feedback given during that test effort. Great stuff! Keep up the good work!

Nice work Tyler.

Congratulations on your new irons guys!! I hope you stick around the thread and share your thoughts on them!

Reading this makes me excited. I ordered mine this past Saturday and nothing too crazy just a 1/4 inch longer shaft. Golfsmith are going to bend them for me in the store. They said maybe 2 degrees flat. But this is getting my hopes up. I'm hoping Taylormade has some sitting with longer shafts already set up to ship out.

Truth. They offered more forgiveness than I expected which is the key attribute I seek in an iron.
I could even hit the 4i, shocking I know.
reading what everyone has written I decided to order the 4i in the VeloxT 65-R. I have a fairly new set of Coverts (which I really like) but wanted to give this iron a try. WOW, I've NEVER been able to hit a 4-iron this consistently! Add to the fact that they launched high and landed softly was just a thing of beauty. Speaking of beauty, these are the most aesthetically looking irons I have had a chance to use. Just a wonderful looking topline, face and color on these irons. The VELOXT shaft has a very comfortable feeling to them. And I knew when I hit the center of the face on these clubs as they give you a hard to describe feel & sound. Almost muted but quite pleasing. Even with a less than perfect strike the ball still moved in the right direction. Now I'm wondering if I should trade in my Coverts for a complete set of these SpeedBlades!!!! Ugh

Picture of the new irons I got yesterday...I hope to get out this afternoon to hit them.

Speedblade 4-AW KBS Tour 2* upright

Speedblade SW & LW KBS Tour 2* upright

IMG_0217.jpg

Picture of the new irons I got yesterday...I hope to get out this afternoon to hit them.

View attachment 11430

Those irons look great in your bag! I look forward to hearing your feedback after you hit them this afternoon.

View attachment 11430

Want to trade???? Haha that would be my ideal set up if I had the cash to drop on the shafts and install. That being said, I would try many different but I've been fit for the tours online.

Feel free red to provide any feedback, I know I will definitely be listening!

How do the wedges in this set compare to the ATV wedges? From pictures I have seen I can't tell if the new wedges have the same texture on the face. Is there much difference in spin?

All we received from Taylormade is the Attack (Awesome) Wedge. I cannot accurately compare the two face textures as I have no lengthy knowledge of the ATV wedge. Sorry, maybe someone else can chime in.

How do the wedges in this set compare to the ATV wedges? From pictures I have seen I can't tell if the new wedges have the same texture on the face. Is there much difference in spin?
The wedges just have the same smooth face as the rest of the set and don't have the textured face of the ATV wedges.
However I have ATV wedges and also have the wedges from the rocketbladez and to be honest I don't see much difference in spin between the wedges.

On a side note I just ordered my speed blades today after a fitting I was fitted for 6-AW 1/2 inch shorter and 2* flat. I prefer my 4 & 5 RBZ hybrids over 4 & 5 irons.

My initial impressions after getting out on the range and the course with these clubs:

First, I like everyone else am seeing at least a club longer in distances especially in the 7-4 iron. My distances are a little closer in the scoring irons 8-AW but still longer. My range session was only a large bucket but it was enough to get some idea how far I hit each club before heading to the course. I use a ES12 on the range.

Second, the sound at impact is like everyone else has described it has a players iron type sound when struck cleanly...very solid sound and feeling at impact. The look of these irons are not as bulky as you would imagine being GI (I was playing and still have the Rocketblades Tour 4-AW) irons. I think this has something to do with the two-tone colors playing a little trick on the mind. Either way I was more than comfortable looking at them at address.

Third, I did not see a huge difference in ball trajectory the one noticeable change in trajectory was in my long irons 5 & 4. I was able to use these irons on holes that I needed extra height in the trajectory and they performed. One example is taking the 5 iron into a par 5 in two which I have not been able to reach since playing here and actually blew the green long (I was 190 yds out on a downhill lie). Felt like butter coming off the face. I was still having trouble dialing in the distances but I am only a round or two away from getting them figured out. I walked off the course this afternoon with confidence that these will have a place in the bag for awhile.

The crazy thing I figured out was that Taylormade got the GG order wrong in my two wedges and sent me stiff flex versus regular flex in the KBS Tours...guess I'll get that process started tomorrow. The wedges are awesome and will easily replace the ATVs that I have been hitting for sometime now.

I will post more after I get them out again.

Those are my quick notes from the few hours that I spent with them this afternoon. Overall very impressed with the product and look forward to getting them out again on Saturday morning.

My initial impressions after getting out on the range and the course with these clubs:

First, I like everyone else am seeing at least a club longer in distances especially in the 7-4 iron. My distances are a little closer in the scoring irons 8-AW but still longer. My range session was only a large bucket but it was enough to get some idea how far I hit each club before heading to the course. I use a ES12 on the range.

Second, the sound at impact is like everyone else has described it has a players iron type sound when struck cleanly...very solid sound and feeling at impact. The look of these irons are not as bulky as you would imagine being GI (I was playing and still have the Rocketblades Tour 4-AW) irons. I think this has something to do with the two-tone colors playing a little trick on the mind. Either way I was more than comfortable looking at them at address.

Third, I did not see a huge difference in ball trajectory the one noticeable change in trajectory was in my long irons 5 & 4. I was able to use these irons on holes that I needed extra height in the trajectory and they performed. One example is taking the 5 iron into a par 5 in two which I have not been able to reach since playing here and actually blew the green long (I was 190 yds out on a downhill lie). Felt like butter coming off the face. I was still having trouble dialing in the distances but I am only a round or two away from getting them figured out. I walked off the course this afternoon with confidence that these will have a place in the bag for awhile.

The crazy thing I figured out was that Taylormade got the GG order wrong in my two wedges and sent me stiff flex versus regular flex in the KBS Tours...guess I'll get that process started tomorrow. The wedges are awesome and will easily replace the ATVs that I have been hitting for sometime now.

Those are my quick notes from the few hours that I spent with them this afternoon. Overall very impressed with the product and look forward to getting them out again on Saturday morning.

Awesome, good to see others getting similar results. How did you like the forgiveness in the SpeedBlades compared to your previous irons?

Very nice! Awesome write up man. Are you seeing a good distance gap between the 7 and 8? That was a major concern of mine but I haven't seen a huge difference thus far.

Back