Teeing it Up in the Cold

OMG....you guys are being serious! :shock:

Sometime you need to come up to KS and we can play some chilly golf!!! If temp is about 40 and minimal wind its good to go. Smarter play would be for me to come south for a weekend though.

OMG....you guys are being serious! :shock:

Big Time doesn't mess with that noise... :D It's a thing. You know it's cold when you try to fix a pitch mark and it's like sticking a fork in a frozen turkey.

deck it with a 3 wood

Sometime you need to come up to KS and we can play some chilly golf!!! If temp is about 40 and minimal wind its good to go. Smarter play would be for me to come south for a weekend though.

Sounds miserable! I leave all the cold playing golf to Cookie down here. But I hear ya, it's the wind that can be brutal.

Wooden tees for sure. I've tried plastic as well and they just bend and are useless generally.

25* and sunshine Will. Let's play some golf.:bulgy-eyes:

You guys are nuts. lol

Sometimes the ground is so hard and dry even in the summer, especially during extended dry periods that it becomes difficult to get a tee in the ground. But as MPlefty previous stated, carry a hammer in your bag, or possibly a battery operated drill and bit

What tees do you use when playing when the ground is frozen?

Living in the Northeast I’ll golf till the green turns to white. However, one of the issues I’ve had when it is frozen is getting the tee into the ground.

Plastic tees are the worst usually can’t get them in, i’ve tried those other rubber/plastic ones that you set on the ground and tee it up but if the tee isn’t flat I’ve had some issues.

I’ve gone back to wooden tees and they seem to work the best maybe break one or two but for the most part they work.

What do you use THP?

I like to play the forward tee through the winter. I allows me to keep good form without trying to push my clubs to go further than they should in the freezing cold with many layers of clothes on. If I can't tee it up I just play the 2i or 3 wood off the deck.

@JohnSinVA and I played forward tees and it was more fun, we didn't use a tee of most of the holes. You also want to be close enough to the greens on your approach to play full wedges in since, once the greens freeze, you'll need to come in with a lot of spin.

I like to play the forward tee through the winter. I allows me to keep good form without trying to push my clubs to go further than they should in the freezing cold with many layers of clothes on. If I can't tee it up I just play the 2i or 3 wood off the deck.

@JohnSinVA and I played forward tees and it was more fun, we didn't use a tee of most of the holes. You also want to be close enough to the greens on your approach to play full wedges in since, once the greens freeze, you'll need to come in with a lot of spin.
You can't spin into a frozen green!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can't spin into a frozen green!

It’s easier to roll it up on the frozen ones but it’s way more fun to hit the high hopping spinner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sounds like you're skipping rocks across a pond... and it almost sounds fun... almost :act-up:

sounds like you're skipping rocks across a pond... and it almost sounds fun... almost :act-up:
No comments from the warm weather golfing peanut gallery!

No comments from the warm weather golfing peanut gallery!

Yeah, it was tough today... Was only able to play 9 holes because of work (damn) and it was a frigid 65 degrees out.... I thought I was going to have to put on a long sleeve.... but I didn't :bananadance:

If the ground is literally frozen, I’m more shocked the superintendent would allow the course to be open.

If the ground is literally frozen, I’m more shocked the superintendent would allow the course to be open.

It's a North East thing. Grass is dormant so you don't really hurt it too much. It's really the permafrost that gets the ball bouncing later in the winter.

I hold ball in palm of hand. Put wooden tee between middle and fore finger. Press tee against ball as if setting on tee. Close the fist and push tee into ground using the ball as a back stop.

It's a North East thing. Grass is dormant so you don't really hurt it too much. It's really the permafrost that gets the ball bouncing later in the winter.

Ahh ok. See I'd be afraid frozen ground would just wreck that piece of turf if you could even take a divot, and how much is that gonna hurt when you literally break the ground lol

The muni courses here close when it gets close to freezing. November 1 is the end of season unless it stays warm.

Dave

Back