Tell Me About Your Iron Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you play graphite or steel? What brand, model and weight? What drew you to them or why do you play them? And what do you like or dislike about them?

Nippon Modus 120 Stiff steel. I play them because I was fit into them at the 2019 Grandaddy. I like the feel but wonder if I could find some better dispersion with a different shaft.

Steelfiber i95 stiff. I love these shafts for the stability they offer. I know people either love or hate them.

Project X Catalyst 80 in 6.0 flex

I picked these for my Morgan Cup set. I really wanted to try graphite and get a lighter weight shaft. I also wanted a stiff profile to feel as stable as steel. These fit the bill perfectly. I must say they are also very stylish looking. The matte black with the silver and red branding is sharp.

Graphite, PX Catalyst 100’s. I like them, but I also don’t. I’ve had a couple issues with the graphite that I just wouldn’t have to worry about with steel, and it’s been frustrating.

Likely won’t go graphite again in all honesty, which kinda sucks

Steel True Temper Dynamic Gold R300
I wanted to go back to the DG shafts to see if it would help lower my ball flight. I wanted the S300s, but they were on backorder, so I went with the R300. They lowered my trajectory, but Nippon Modus feel so much better overall.

UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap F4 graphite shafts. 86 grams. Switched to graphite for health reasons 7 years ago. Play this particular model of Recoil because it is the only graphite option available from Ben Hogan.

KBS $taper stiff in one set. Lot of research into what would be like my prior Shafts that I was fitted to nippon nspro 1050gh.

Ust mamiya recoil 110 xstiff in another set. Bought iron used on here so not much choice.

Both feel very similar actually, don't have a problem with either. Can "feel" the ground a bit more with the $taper when I get deep but that's about it.

Elevate tour x flex at the moment.
They are pretty awesome, not super heavy and perform well.

Used graphite for previous 4 years and would do it again for sure.

Due for a new fitting

Dynamic Gold X100's! I never knew graphite x shafts were an option until very recently and when i was fitting 10+ years ago it was basically this or an upcharge for premium shafts.

Going from a random combo of graphite shafts: exsar is2 tour spec, stiff 102g and another one I can’t remember the name of 😅 to S300s (thanks @Joshnoble01 )

excited to have some consistency through my irons, and hoping it will make my game more consistent as it really needs it

Graphite MMT 80 stiff, soft stepped 2 times. I wanted the weight but needed the softer flex. Overall very happy with both the weight and feel.

Mitsu MMT 105 TX.
My club fitter was able to fit me in and let me demo some Aerotech Steelfiber shafts, most of the constant weight variety. At the 115g level, the shafts felt like typical graphite shafts of old—boardy. No loading and no tip flex. The club also seemed just a touch to heavy. The 95g Steelfiber was too flexible. I tried a 100g Accra shaft, which felt better, but also was a touch to flexible and light, leading to shots that ballooned with too much spin and fell out of the sky early with a tad bit of draw. I knew I was somewhere between 105 and 110 on the scale. I heard about the loading of the Recoil Darts and their profile having been designed for stability and replicating the feel of steel iron shafts. With the ongoing component shortage in the United States, however, nearly every fitter or store I tried was out of the Recoils. I saw Callaway and several other manufacturers including Mitsubishi MMT shafts in their offerings.

The MMT offered a better tip for me than Aerotech, promoting a greater clubhead feel and “loading.” This was exactly what I was looking for in my new iron shafts. The MMT shafts came in a 105 TX, which turns out was the perfect combination for my swing. The irons are just light enough to not bother my elbow while being stiff enough to resist the torque of my swing. Most importantly, the slightly softer tip replicates the loading feel of my stepped, Dynamic Gold steel shafts.

Steel. Been playing KBS $tapers for about 3 years now, but planning to go back to Ctapers.

KBS Tour-V 120 Extra Stiff. Closest shaft during the online fitting with Ben Hogan.

They work nice but am leaning towards combo weighting Xcaliber Rapid Tapers.

Right now it's a set of ACCRA iSeries Tour 100i TiMesh and I absolutely love them. They feel smooth, but stable. I also appreciate the weight since it keeps me steady through my swing. The TiMesh tip is meant to reduce twisting and add stability to that section; plus it really looks good - nice visible tech! I was able to trim mine to Stiff+ flex since they're a parallel tip shaft. I feel that flex really suits my game and desired ball flight characteristics.

Graphics on the ACCRA iSeries is nice. Some might find it a little busy, but I like it. Allows for a uniform look if you're having your shafts pured. I've mentioned it before, but I like to build my clubs with the labels up... so keep this in mind.

Being that they're a Canadian company, I've always had an interest in playing ACCRA products. And the acquisition by True Temper just made the brand even more appealing to me - probably a result of my participation in the 2019 Project X Experience.

I'm a big proponent of playing graphite shafts. I tried to play a steel option last season for a little while and immediately felt the difference in my joints - I'll stick with graphite from here on.

Steel. Project X IO 6.5 (115g) hard stepped once. I came across the IO right when they came out, in testing the X Forged CB. The 6.0 was the stock pairing for them at the time. Really liked the combo. Enough to buy that set, and order the IO 6.5 in a set of '21 Apex MB without testing that combo. Love those MB's, and have been sticking the IO 6.5 in just about every set since. It feels more stout and holds up better to my move than anything else I've ever found in that weight range, and has been a little unicorn-y for me in the sense of trying to save some weight. They're definitely not the smoothest feeling shaft, and aren't well loved, but they've accomplished some pretty amazing things for me.

Graphite. UST Recoil 460 ESX. I wanted graphite and given my lack of knowledge as to shafts, I chose these as they seem to best fit what I was looking for.

I play steel True Temper Elevate 95's. I was drawn to them because of the VSS, as well as a strong recommendation from @Jman. I enjoy the feel, height and distance I get from them. Wish I could get my dispersion a bit tighter, especially in the 8i-PW.

I have been playing $-tapers, and while I have liked them for the most part, there are times when they don't work for me. I tried a set of irons in Modus 105s thinking they would be better for me, and I couldn't have been more wrong. I've since sought out professional help, and have been fit into Steelfiber i110. We will have to see what happens once those are ready, but I thoroughly enjoyed them in the fitting, and the numbers appeared to back that up.

I'm definitely finding that I gravitate towards mid-weight iron shafts -- anything lighter and my tempo becomes hard to keep in check.

I'm playing graphite Mitsubishi OTi 110 shafts. They are 115g and X flex.

I have struggled with golfers and tennis elbow and wanted graphite in my irons to help with the injury. I'm planning to get fit for new irons but in the interim wanted a used graphite option to see if it helped the injury. I was playing stiff 100g steel shafts which felt way too loose and had a huge dispersion. Based on my swing speed I was pretty confident I needed something heavier and stiffer. I was talking to the club builder at a local shop I like when I was in buying golf balls. He mentioned he had just pulled an almost new set of OTi's which were the same model Ancer was playing on tour. He offered them (5-P) for 100$ total with install included which was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I came across them randomly but I love them. I was not fit for them but it was still an instant improvement. They felt so much more controlled and I noticed an immediate improvement in dispersion. I used to hit really high shots with the old shafts and these were a little lower and still held greens. I am not experienced enough to really say how well the fit is but I can say I really like these shafts and they were much better than the previous ones I had.

True Temper AMT White Tour.

Love them. Lighter long irons allow me to really go for the long shots. Heavier short irons to rein in my swing for the more controlled shots.

They are the best shafts I have played. I have played them 4 of the past 5 seasons.

I play steel True Temper Elevate 95's. I was drawn to them because of the VSS, as well as a strong recommendation from @Jman. I enjoy the feel, height and distance I get from them. Wish I could get my dispersion a bit tighter, especially in the 8i-PW.
Fantastic iron shafts!

MMT 95 stiff. Been playing graphite for number of years due to shoulder tears, tennis elbow, torn bicep tendon, etc….getting old. Graphite has just made playing significantly less painful.

I have played both Recoil & Aerotech over the years but when the MMT came as the stock graphite option at a slight up charge in the 2021 Apex Pros, I just had to give them ago. The reviews were very very good and we’re getting some play on the PGA Tour etc. What I really like about them is the stiff tip I can really go out it and the accuracy is awesome. I was playing regular graphite shaft in my last ‘19 Apex Pros and was pulling everything left when I went after it and the MMT in stiff flex has virtually eliminated that miss. End result it is critical to get fit it into the right shaft flex in graphite.

Back