I think the near 3 million viewers who tuned into to the final round of the first playoff event, which was the most since 2017 would disagree.
You might want to check your sources. 3 years ago there were 3.15 million viewers.

I want to be excited. I'm hopeful. And then I think of the matches brought to us by tiger and the tour and I'm less so. It also makes me think that some of the guys just don't have the personality to make this compelling. The need to produce the hell out of it. And if its even a little bit flat or out of touch, it's going to get evicerated.
The problem with producing the hell out of it is that it leaves little room for golf - producing the hell out of it turns into carpool karaoke or whatever the hell Jimmy Fallon calls his show these days ..... 1 second attention span kind of ****

The problem with producing the hell out of it is that it leaves little room for golf - producing the hell out of it turns into carpool karaoke or whatever the hell Jimmy Fallon calls his show these days ..... 1 second attention span kind of ****
I hear ya. The format is going to be important, but how it's delivered too. And I'm just not sure how many of these guys can entertain. I mean prime time is a broader audience right? Not just die hard golf fans. Homes still have people wanting to watch the same thing at the same time some.

I hear ya. The format is going to be important, but how it's delivered too. And I'm just not sure how many of these guys can entertain. I mean prime time is a broader audience right? Not just die hard golf fans. Homes still have people wanting to watch the same thing at the same time some.
Monday night football was relegated to cable. This, if for some reason makes it to network, won't last long. ESPN 8 after 1 season or less.

You might want to check your sources. 3 years ago there were 3.15 million viewers.

Sources are fine. That’s the BMW, the second playoff event. My post said first playoff event which was st. Jude.

This is where they lose me. I want no part of tour pros playing virtual golf in primetime

• Tech-Infused Venu: A first-of-its-kind experience for golf enabled by a data-rich, virtual course complete with a tech-infused, short-game complex;
  • Tech-Enabled Fan Experience: High-energy, greenside fan experience with every shot live within a 2-hour, primetime televised match;

Did Rory and the tour just steal the “green-side fan experience” from the guy who had the remote control ball on the 15th hole of last weeks event?

First Rory throws his ball in the water, now he steals(allegedly) his idea, wonder what’s next?:)

SIMULATED GOLF...LOLOLOLOLOL
They're joking, right?

Let's face it - outside of hardcore Tiger adorers who cream themselves over every word he utters, he's not a very entertaining person. He sucked at The Match with Phil, Brady and Manning, he was easily the least entertaining person there. Rory isn't exactly a dynamic personality either, unless you just get off on hearing somebody slobber over Monahan and slag the LIV over and over. Who else? Maybe they'll get some real wild and crazy guys like Jordan Spieth, Webb Simpson, Patrick Cantlay, Sam Burns and Cam Young?

I predict this will be even more agonizing to watch than regular PGA Tour golf, with all their puff pieces and incessant advertising.

Let's face it - outside of hardcore Tiger adorers who cream themselves over every word he utters, he's not a very entertaining person. He sucked at The Match with Phil, Brady and Manning, he was easily the least entertaining person there. Rory isn't exactly a dynamic personality either, unless you just get off on hearing somebody slobber over Monahan and slag the LIV over and over. Who else? Maybe they'll get some real wild and crazy guys like Jordan Spieth, Webb Simpson, Patrick Cantlay, Sam Burns and Cam Young?

I predict this will be even more agonizing to watch than regular PGA Tour golf, with all their puff pieces and incessant advertising.
The whole thing is just a little weird to me. Is an indoor virtual competition something anyone was asking for. I don't think I even understand the potential demographic. My brain is just swimming and most of what it's coming up with is pretty horrific in one way or another. :LOL:

The whole thing is just a little weird to me. Is an indoor virtual competition something anyone was asking for. I don't think I even understand the potential demographic. My brain is just swimming and most of what it's coming up with is pretty horrific in one way or another. :LOL:
I'm guessing the target demographic is younger people who are more attuned to video games and reality shows, and attention spans just long enough for 30 second Instagram/TikTok posts. It sounds like it kinda combines all those things.

And yeah, I'm visualizing it as pretty horrific too, cheese factor off the charts. Maybe they can throw in some Ninja Warrior stuff where they have to climb cargo nets and go hand over hand across water hazards before hitting their shots. Or maybe pugil stick battles to break ties.

I'm guessing the target demographic is younger people who are more attuned to video games and reality shows, and attention spans just long enough for 30 second Instagram/TikTok posts. It sounds like it kinda combines all those things.

And yeah, I'm visualizing it as pretty horrific too, cheese factor off the charts. Maybe they can throw in some Ninja Warrior stuff where they have to climb cargo nets and go hand over hand across water hazards before hitting their shots. Or maybe pugil stick battles to break ties.
No joke, one of the things I imagined when I first heard it poorly described was an American PGA Warrior thing with tricky shots on like a timed virtual course. Stay out of my head dude. :LOL:

Giving this a bit more thought and it has all of the potential to be a real disaster. PGA Tour players, in general, are boring as F. They've lost many of the guys with some personality who have done "the match" and other interpersonal events to the LIV (Phil, Bryson, Brooks, DJ, Wolff). Tiger and Rory are tremendous golfers, but not very engaging personalities.

It's just not the format for professional golfers. And because they are affiliated, it could actually harm the PGA Tour brand, not enhance it. People will get bored real quick. The reason people go to Top Golf is because it's about them. See friends and family, hit a little ball and act silly, have some food and drinks and for many not think about golf for another year or until they go back to Top Golf. This TGL stadium video golf concept is extremely fringe at best. Talk about "mickey mouse" events Mr. Monahan!

What PGA Tour fans really want is the "inside the ropes" viewing experience. Mic the players and their caddies (those who are willing), throw them a few extra $$$'s and give the fans the insight into what the player is thinking real time in terms of club selection, shot selection, pressure, etc. I bet most here really enjoy it when the mics do catch a player/caddie conversation coming in on the final nine of a close tournament.

What PGA Tour fans really want is the "inside the ropes" viewing experience. Mic the players and their caddies (those who are willing), throw them a few extra $$$'s and give the fans the insight into what the player is thinking real time in terms of club selection, shot selection, pressure, etc. I bet most here really enjoy it when the mics do catch a player/caddie conversation coming in on the final nine of a close tournament.
It worked out really well for Justin Thomas last year, I'm sure the other players would be all over the idea. :ROFLMAO:

Tiger was famous for F-bombs off the tee, good family entertainment!

I am thinking it is like Supercross was to Motorcross. A closed in course where the fans can watch all the action up close. I use to go every year with my son and I loved every minute of it. I am hoping it has the same fan vibe.

This is so true, but the flip side of it is that it takes away from the amount of golf actually being broadcast. Do I want to watch Jordan Spieth talk with Michael G for 5 minutes whilst they wait for a green, or do I want see people playing golf?

It worked out really well for Justin Thomas last year, I'm sure the other players would be all over the idea. :ROFLMAO:

It's easy enough to catch those kinds of things during the broadcast delay. I don't think golf is set up to do it the way other live TV does it, but they can be.

I think this is what TGL will need to succeed at to have any chance at catching on. Have the players mic up so we can hear the back and forth banter between players and teams and the thought process of their shots, etc. Integrate the fans and viewers into that somehow too. If it is simply just the players hitting into the sim and hosts chatting away, I won't be interested.

I think this is what TGL will need to succeed at to have any chance at catching on. Have the players mic up so we can hear the back and forth banter between players and teams and the thought process of their shots, etc. Integrate the fans and viewers into that somehow too. If it is simply just the players hitting into the sim and hosts chatting away, I won't be interested.
I have no idea what it will really be, but I envision a sort of lax environment with dull player personalities chatting, whilst commentators attempt to make it interesting. It's really hard for me to envision any player taking it too seriously especially if they're playing real golf the following weekend.

I'd love to see what kind of on air talent deals will be made. I'm sure they've got ideas in their heads, if they can get a broadcast deal. Mo' money.

I have no idea what it will really be, but I envision a sort of lax environment with dull player personalities chatting, whilst commentators attempt to make it interesting. It's really hard for me to envision any player taking it too seriously especially if they're playing real golf the following weekend.

I'd love to see what kind of on air talent deals will be made. I'm sure they've got ideas in their heads, if they can get a broadcast deal. Mo' money.
There is no if. If Tiger is involved and they want a tv deal they get a TV deal.

Ya someone down near the action rather than traditional commentators would probably be solid. Feherty may have been the perfect man for the job.

There is no if. If Tiger is involved and they want a tv deal they get a TV deal.
Probably true, but it's going to take a lot to get a network deal. Cable? Maybe ESPN will try it out for a minute. Great thing about those contracts is you can be relegated to ESPN 2-12(or +) after one show. I can envision this after 5 weeks where most of the ad sales are from male enhancement supplements :D

That's fair. TV and other media today are just not the same platform.

Let's say I pay a small fee to tune into the "inside the ropes" broadcast, just like sirius radio and other platforms currently. I know spicy language comes with the package, so I know what I'm paying for. It would sell.

There can still be "kiddie" friendly versions...

Call me a skimmer, but PGA players only? Nobody from LIV allowed?

Back