The 2021 MLB Thread

I was hearing the 300 mil number thrown around before. This should change that. Personally I think 10 yr deals are stupid

I think so too.

Once they get their career contract, they are oft injured, under perform, etc... Long term deals are nuts.

truth. Which is why I said earlier today that you can make a case that Sherzer was amongst the best at living up to his big contract he got with the Nats.

Once they get their career contract, they are oft injured, under perform, etc... Long term deals are nuts.
Agree it happens more often than not. They should all be incentive laden if you ask me

Man remember when Kevin brown signed that 100 million dollar contract and it was crazy to see that number?

Agree it happens more often than not. They should all be incentive laden if you ask me
Or like a lot of NFL contracts with only part of the money guaranteed. If they underperform, injured long term, teams cut them and take the shorter term loss. Now let's see if Tigers outbid Yanks for Correa

Seager is not that good. They will regret this contract soon enough.

Call me crazy but the conspiracy theorist part of me can’t help but wonder if this crazy spending is somehow tied to an underlying goal of winning the collective bargaining agreement battle by spending to undermine the player’s core complaints.

It’s a great time to be a free agent. 10 year plus contracts are the new norm.

Very surprised at that number for Corey seager. Gets injured on occasion and seems a bit old for a 10 year deal for a league more willing to let teenagers on no money play in then majors.

As for the rangers, it seems like every 5 years they go absolutely nuclear in the free agent market (cliff lee, Josh Hamilton)

Interesting to see how that plays out for them, as I don’t think they are one or two stars away from competing lol.

Or like a lot of NFL contracts with only part of the money guaranteed. If they underperform, injured long term, teams cut them and take the shorter term loss. Now let's see if Tigers outbid Yanks for Correa
I don’t see it happening. Ever since Illitch passed they just don’t spend that kind of $$ and I’m not sure I’d want them too.

I don’t see it happening. Ever since Illitch passed they just don’t spend that kind of $$ and I’m not sure I’d want them too.
I agree. Chance is gone now. I thought they'd have a good chance to get him with the Yanks going after Seager. But with him off the market, the Yanks will outbid anyone for Correa now.

Rangers throwing around money. They are just like the angels. Som much salary so few wins.

In one day my Dodgers lose Seager and Scherzer. I’m mostly okay with it, though Scherzer is going to hurt short term. But big picture…there are going to be some expensive underperforming years on the back end of both deals. I have no idea what they are going to do to beef up their rotation but they’ve got a lot of money to play with, they are smart and they have a track record of mostly making the right decisions. It’ll be okay.

In one day my Dodgers lose Seager and Scherzer. I’m mostly okay with it, though Scherzer is going to hurt short term. But big picture…there are going to be some expensive underperforming years on the back end of both deals. I have no idea what they are going to do to beef up their rotation but they’ve got a lot of money to play with, they are smart and they have a track record of mostly making the right decisions. It’ll be okay.
I hate the Dodgers but they have a great farm system and scouts. They are poised to keep the NL West on lock down for awhile. They also should be the favorite in the NL for a few years still. They still suck tho. :LOL:

Thought he was going to be in pinstripes in NY. That’s a great contract for him. Significantly more than what was expected. Knew that 10 years was likely just not that far above 300 million.

I'm obviously glad he is not. Although I guess I could have laughed at them for the gross overpay if they would have given him that same contract. :ROFLMAO:

I'm obviously glad he is not. Although I guess I could have laughed at them for the gross overpay if they would have given him that same contract. :ROFLMAO:
They'll do it for Correa. Just waiting on it.

Javier Baez to Tigers for 6 years, $140 million.

Door keeps opening wider for Correa to sign with the Yanks.

Every team is spending cash and the Phillies have done nothing. Now they can correct this with signing bryant.

Every team is spending cash and the Phillies have done nothing. Now they can correct this with signing bryant.
If we knew the NL was going to have a DH I’d really expect the Dodgers to be in on Bryant.

It's virtually a done deal in my mind. He's already in pinstripes.

Question is going to be what the Yankees offer. The Rangers seriously overpaid for Seager. I'm not certain the Yankees offer the 10/325 for Correa. And it's not like the Yankees are bidding against any other team. Plus this Steinbrenner isn't like the father.

Correa probably wants and, arguably, should get more money than Seager. There may be no team willing to give him > 10/325.

Question is going to be what the Yankees offer. The Rangers seriously overpaid for Seager. I'm not certain the Yankees offer the 10/325 for Correa. And it's not like the Yankees are bidding against any other team. Plus this Steinbrenner isn't like the father.

Correa probably wants and, arguably, should get more money than Seager. There may be no team willing to give him > 10/325.
IF not the Yanks, which I don't buy, another team will pony up. The way they will get around it is opt out clauses or a high AAV over a shorter period, like 250 over 7 yrs. But Correa will get his money.

I agree that Seager was a gross overpay. If the Rangers would have given that same contract to Correa instead, that sentiment would not have been nearly as strong.

I wouldn't say every team...I think Cleveland has shed some payroll in fact

I wouldn't say every team...I think Cleveland has shed some payroll in fact
Yeah, but think about this, the Rangers just dropped half a billion dollars on their middle infielders and they are still going to finish last in their own division. Even if they shed some payroll they’ll do better.

I hope they offer zero.

Yeah, but think about this, the Rangers just dropped half a billion dollars on their middle infielders and they are still going to finish last in their own division. Even if they shed some payroll they’ll do better.
What the Rangers did was unreal. I'm ok with what they are doing, because we have a lot of question marks. I know they aren't going to jump into FA and spend a ton, so it's not what I expect. Just want them to be able to compete in a division where it's possible, although not as easy since the rise of the White Sox. They usually play it conservative, and rely on pitching, which has been a strength for a while now.

Back