Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This one always intrigues me, it’s the weapon of choice for most Pro’s in their bags, yet most amateurs opt for hybrids and such in that spot. I myself am just about to commit to the rest of the season with a 5w to give it a go and see the pros and cons for my game.

What’s your take on the 5-Wood? Love it? Leave it? Why do you feel the way you do? If you don’t play one, what do you play in that slot?

I played one last season for the first time in a long time. I loved that club but I never felt comfortable hitting it off the tee. Something about seeing loft with a wood messes with my brain. This year I have 2h in that spot and while i don't hit it as high as I did the 5w off the deck I am able to hit it off a tee with good results

I struggle with a 3w but love my 5, 195+ off the tee and 180+ off the grass. Not a big fan of my current hybrid but searching for new.

Love it - over the last year it’s been my favourite swing club in the bag.

I gave hybrids an honest try and kept finding the ball flight inconsistent; both in trajectory and distance. I tried different length shafts, different loft hybrids and even lofting each up/down but I couldn’t get things dialed in.

Middle of last year I was out and a buddy had a 5W. He was hitting these beautiful shots and I had an “aha” moment.

I’m currently playing the 5W about an inch shorter than stock and it’s my consistent 200 yard club. Depending on wind, I’ll use it off the tee, fairway and rough.

As I've gotten older I've had trouble getting the ball in the air off the fairway woods. Don't even have them in the bag anymore, the hybrids work much better for me nowadays.

I play a weak 5w as my 7w/heavenwood replacement. Basically, I wanted a subzero 7w and since no one actually really needs that, I made my own haha.

Love it. Tee, fairway, doesn't matter. Give me something that'll work on shorter par 4's, long par 3's, or par 5's that I can attack :love:

I love it. When I need a high towering shot or when I must hit a small fairway. Hybrid I can’t get a little quick and hook into trouble.

I carry a 5W, but it's least used club in my 14 club bag. There's nothing wrong with it, and I hit it as well as my other clubs.

The "of little use" issue for me is that in my game, I don't usually see the yardage my 5W would provide me with. For me its either 3W, or 7W yardages I need to deal with most of the time.

My 5W is my "patience club" in as much as it just sits there, while waiting it's turn.

I love my 5w. I have it dialed to 17* and pulled my 3w out for the last few rounds and quite happy i did. Solid off the deck, no issues getting it up in the air, and off the tee its pretty much an easy automatic 190 club for me.

Love it! Have always, and very likely will always, have one in my bag. If gets a lot of use (probably an average of 6 times per round) off tee and deck and is one of the 3 (along with my 54 and 58 degree wedges) most reliable clubs in my bag.

I enjoy a 5 wood. Easy off the deck, consistent, gets up high and holds greens.

If thick rough, I may sub a 19 HY for it.

I have a 5w but love my 19 BB 3H too much to take it out of the bag. I hit a poor tee shot (go figure) 210 yesterday and my 3H bailed me out with a 230yd cut...i should probably try the 5w at some point again, tho.

I played a 5 wood for a long time. With so so results . My only down side is it tended to ballon on me

I have a Heavenwood right now which I love but I have been thinking about trying a 5 wood.

I put a 5 wood in the bag this year. Never tried one. It’s not bad when hit well. Goes high and far, but like @jdtox said it looks funny to me. I have since ordered the King utility to try and see if that will be a replacement for the 5 wood. I hit the 4 iron Forged Tec fine so I don’t see a problem with the utility. I think I just may be more comfortable with a utility or hybrid in that spot instead of the 5 wood.

This one always intrigues me, it’s the weapon of choice for most Pro’s in their bags, yet most amateurs opt for hybrids and such in that spot. I myself am just about to commit to the rest of the season with a 5w to give it a go and see the pros and cons for my game.

What’s your take on the 5-Wood? Love it? Leave it? Why do you feel the way you do? If you don’t play one, what do you play in that slot?
Love it. In fact, I'll bring my Tommy Armour Persimmon along from time to time. Beautiful club, small head, vintage sound.

I'm so much more accurate with my hybrid it's an easy decision for me. From 210 yards, I can hit more greens with the hybrid than the 5 wood...

The 5 wood was one of my favorite clubs last year but I couldn't get it to gap properly. I would hit it 235ish and need to hit around 220 in that position. No matter what I tried I just couldn't get it to work so I went back to the hybrid. I do miss that club though.

I love my 5W. Easy to hit off the deck and works well for me off the tee. I'm currently not even carrying a 3W because I had trouble hitting my last one off the fairway and it gave me problems off the tee also.

I actually have an M3 5 wood head that I scored as new on ebay yesterday,, so ill be able to better reflect on this next week.
I have not gamed a 5 wood in well over a decade.
Not sure there is any reason other than the rise in popularity of the hybrid. I used to really enjoy a 5 wood.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have had a long love affair with my old Taylormade Supersteel 5-wood with the graphite bubbleshaft. I still have the full set, and every once in a while I still pull the 5-wood out of the bag in the garage and park my 3-wood for a round or two, or even remove my new Titleist TS3 hybrid. Some days I can hit it. Some days not. Part of my affection for it is based on the fact that I shot my best round ever on our local course (over a decade ago) during a Men's Club day when we only played four clubs. I took the 5-wood rather than my driver, along with a 9-iron, 5-iron, and putter, and racked up a smooth 75. (There must a lesson there somewhere.) Maybe I'll dust off the 5-wood this week. But those were the days when I could still hit that 5-wood 240 or carve a faded 220 that would hold the green even in the summer. Those days are gone as I age.

Right now my favorite old club is a Cleveland HB3 3-iron (a hybrid-looking game improvement thing) that I have blended with my Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metals (GP to 5-iron) and the TS3 hybrid. I have been hitting the Cleveland right in the 185 to 190 yard zone, which slots it between the 5-iron and the hybrid. I can shape shots with it and go high or low as needed. Maybe the 5-wood would do the same, but I have to say the old Cleveland is so consistent right now I am reluctant to take it out of the bag.

I put Mavrik 5&7 this recently and these are my goto club ever since.
I’ve had better success rate with it than any combo wood I’ve has for longest time.
As I am getting older and swing speed slows down higher loft woods gets me results I want. 3 wood might get me 10y more when hit it solid but much lower success rate. 18* loft is almost like strong 5 wood. From tee all I see is difference of 20yd from my driver so I think it’s good for me. Modern 5 wood is so hot it’s like a 3wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my 200 yard club and I use it for that distance and long shots out of the rough

I've had a 5 wood in the bag since my first set of clubs as a 9 year old. It's a mainstay for me as it's always super dependable and far more versatile than the 4 iron it replaces.
The extra loft makes it much easier to step into it a bit and hit a draw, which is really useful off the tee as I struggle with that shape with the 3 wood and driver.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

i LOVE 5w. give me so extra launch and spin and i can get a lot of distance out of it relative to my speed. i will probably pull my 3w out of my bag, because the 5w is more forgiving and on good strikes goes just as far for me.

Back