Barry, let me know if you're ever up here in Boston. We'll do the Sam Adams Brewery Tour. Free tastings at the end of it!

I'd be all over that! Are you coming down to Atlanta for the bowl game? Sweetwater Brewing has a nice tour down here

So tasty.
91D0B9AA-7FF3-4264-BF22-68E9F0F1F9EB_zpsy9evzwnk.jpg

I'd be all over that! Are you coming down to Atlanta for the bowl game? Sweetwater Brewing has a nice tour down here

Dont tease me with Sweetwater. Love me some Terapin too!

Our local brewery was out of all their dark beers so we got stuck with this pumpkin beer, it was nasty!

upu3a8as.jpg

A few I've had in the last week.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA - Meh. Not bad, but it's no Stone. Not one I'll buy again.
Bells Christmas Ale - Too malty. Not buying again. Better after 4-5 other beers.
Sammy's Juniper IPA or something like that - Blah. Pass.
Sammy's Winter Lager - Felt like I should be wearing pantyhose while drinking. Blah.
Stone IPA - Yay. GOAT.
Founders Dry Hopped - Yum. My go-to when I want something on the lighter side.
Two Brothers North-Wind Russian Imperial Stout - Eh, drinkable at 9+% ABV, but still not my favorite. A little molassess-y. Would pass on it a second time.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA - Meh. Not bad, but it's no Stone. Not one I'll buy again.
Bells Christmas Ale - Too malty. Not buying again. Better after 4-5 other beers.
Sammy's Winter Lager - Felt like I should be wearing pantyhose while drinking. Blah.
Stone IPA - Yay. GOAT.
Two Brothers North-Wind Russian Imperial Stout - Eh, drinkable at 9+% ABV, but still not my favorite. A little molassess-y. Would pass on it a second time.

Thanks for the run down, the Stone IPA is the only one I've tried in that list. I had a Myrcenary Double IPA this week and really like it, need to add to my fridge this week. Also more TommyKnocker. The Butt Head Bock was pretty tasty.

A lot of times the Double IPA's are too heavy for me in texture. I like them a little crisp if that makes sense?

A nice IPA is Ballast Point Sculpin. Very drinkable and plenty of flavor. They sell it in a can too!

Heading to Hooker Brewery in Bloomfield, CT this afternoon for happy hour. They do a $10 charity event from 5-8pm every 3rd friday of the month where you get 10 samples and a free pint glass at the end of the night. It used to be unlimited samples but I'm guessing that led to a few too many for some people. I'm a big fan of their Nor'Easter and Irish Red, and I think they just introduced a new limited release called "Old Marley Barleywine". Cant wait!

Enjoying a Speakeasy Brewery Betrayal Imperial Red Ale. Really tasty, a very sweet malt body, with a great bitter/grapefruit hop finish. Results in a strong, sweet amber taste, but it cleans up so nicely and leaves a great refreshing mouth feel. Just have the one bomber, but I can recommend it if you come across the beer.

Stone IPA - Yay. GOAT.

I went to Founders over summer and tried most of their beers! It was a neat place, they were doing a huge renovation though, so I didn't get the tour.

A friend came over the other day and gave me a bottle of Trader Joes 2013 Vintage Ale. It's a dark beer, about 2 glasses worth in the bottle. So good I went and got another one today. My wife doesn't even like beer and she keeps sipping it. Love it.

Has anyone tried the Sam Adams Fat Jack?

Just picked up a Widmer Bros variety 12 pack. STOKED

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Odell 90 Shilling Ale tonight. Pretty light for my tastes and only 5.3 but not bad at all.

16 Mile Amber Sun Ale

ugemape9.jpg

Having a couple of more from my Sam Adams Winter Sampler.

Both get a thumbs up.
First was - White Christmas
Second was : Old Fezziwig Ale.

Both really nice. Fezziwig is a bit more complex using cinnamon, ginger and orange peel in brewing.

ubynaneb.jpg

Very very good!

Has anyone tried the Sam Adams Fat Jack?

I did a Sam Adams tasting back in October - the Fat Jack was awesome! Unfortunately I can't get it in bottles around here & it's gone from the taps. But I'd keep that around for Thanksgiving & Christmas - it was like liquid pumpkin pie - but in a good way. The distributor was telling us that the pumkins come from an employee contest - Sam Adams gives them seeds from last year's winner & they see who can grow the largest pumkin.

Hoppin' Frog has a Double Pumkin seasonal ale that's just as good - I think. Never got to compare them head-to-head:
FrogsHollow-PumpkinAle-justFront.jpg

I am so stoked about this: Fat Tire is now available in Ohio! I saw lots of love here for this brew, & finally had a chance to try it Wed.

Now I have two new favorites:

beer_ft_prod.png
beer_ra_prod.png

If you haven't tried this before, give it a go! I'm not a big IPA guy, but I might actually prefer the Ranger to the Fat Tire. But I think I need to do more research on this over the holidays.

ubynaneb.jpg

Very very good!

None of that around me, unfortunately, I'd have to drive into Boston just to pick some up. I like beer, and I love The Chive, but that's a bit much for me :)

I've heard it's very similar to the Sam Adams Black Lager, would you say so as well?

None of that around me, unfortunately, I'd have to drive into Boston just to pick some up. I like beer, and I love The Chive, but that's a bit much for me :)

I've heard it's very similar to the Sam Adams Black Lager, would you say so as well?
its very similar yes.

Back