20210528_174704.jpg
Very blueberry. Kawartha Dairy ice cream is kick a**, but not in a beer. At least not for this guy.

Fantastic juicy IPA

8E65CFBF-E468-473E-80C1-1465E8A20982.jpeg

A live look at a bachelors fridge. I haven’t ate today. I had a 2 hour probably 1500 calorie burning workout.
What shall I drink? Leaning cake stout. Dinner and dessert all in one.

4D7A759D-E1CF-4339-9072-6A49909B41DD.jpeg

@OITW knows I love stouts and hooked me up with some from his local breweries. This one was amazing. Very smooth and rich without being too sweet. Excellent stout and a reminder that I'm overdo for a mini vacation up that way!!20210528_225004.jpg

Update: I really like this beer. Surprisingly fruity, but not in a bad way. Yum!

Reminds me of when a buddy of mine fell head over heels for Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, which is basically lemonade blended with beer. But it's surprisingly refreshing on a hot, humid day!

This is my new favorite. Oh my is it tasty. Awesome dessert beer. Or in my case it I have one that is dinner and dessert all in one. View attachment 9009337

Reminds me of when I had my first can of Young's "Double Chocolate" Stout from England! Tasted like a big old slice of chocolate cake in a can! Delicious!

I see the name Ommegang on that label. If they are making it, it's bound to be good!

@OITW go to Edward Teach brewery and try Teach’s Peaches

I don't know if it's prevalent in other regions, but up here it still seems like the Craft Beer Industry is fully on the "maximum ABV" trend now that the "maximum IBU" trend has passed. It is impossible to get a non-macro brewery beer that is 3.5-4.5% that is interesting. There have been a few craft breweries that have made absolutely wicked 3.8-4.2% beers but they just appear for a few select weeks and then go poof.

Interestingly, all the macro light beer is always sold out in stores, so it's not like there isn't a market.

I don't know if it's prevalent in other regions, but up here it still seems like the Craft Beer Industry is fully on the "maximum ABV" trend now that the "maximum IBU" trend has passed. It is impossible to get a non-macro brewery beer that is 3.5-4.5% that is interesting. There have been a few craft breweries that have made absolutely wicked 3.8-4.2% beers but they just appear for a few select weeks and then go poof.

Interestingly, all the macro light beer is always sold out in stores, so it's not like there isn't a market.

It's interesting seeing the trends come and go. I am patiently waiting for the stout and porter trend to happen, as outside of the staples, there aren't many options around where I am. Hazy IPAs, IPAs, etc are a dime a dozen though.

It's interesting seeing the trends come and go. I am patiently waiting for the stout and porter trend to happen, as outside of the staples, there aren't many options around where I am. Hazy IPAs, IPAs, etc are a dime a dozen though.
I've found the stout/porter trend to be particularly seasonal. Back in the depths of our winter up here, every brewery on the shelves probably had 2-3 on offer and special edition barrel-aged ones were being released in 750mls every other week. Again, they were mostly in the realm of 7-12% which was silly but maybe fitting for -20F, vs my desire to have a 4% beer in +85F.
I have a buddy who makes his own beer and he continues to prove that you can make full bodied low abv beers so I just don't know why the trends are for the biggest beers that put you axles up in the rhubarb after 2 pints.

This one was very smooth yet not quite as thick as an imperial. Another great choice from @OITW !!20210530_212218.jpg

Yes, I was also distressed at the trend where every over hopped craft brew was labeled an IPA! Some of those things were nearly undrinkable. I don't mind the alcohol as long as it's not overt, and you know about it so you can regulate your intake. But you're right. The ABV levels you quoted can make some very nice beers.

I am reminded of a beer I used to sell called Reissdorf Kolsch. It was kind of the Budweiser of Germany, and also known as a "session" beer. It's for when you and your buds clock out at the plant, and head to your favorite tavern for a "session" of beer drinking! No food, you go home for dinner. This is just for chewing the fat and enjoying your friends. But it was no lightweight. Most American mega-brews come in well below those numbers.

Yea I would say a Kolsch sits right in that "session beer" range of 4.4-5.2% according to the BJCP styles guide. Not sparkling water with a hint of barley! It's one of my favourite beer styles that my friend will make.

Back