The best shot of the round

Driving a 285 yard drive on a par 4 which landed me on the green. Many key chips as well to save par

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give you luckiest hole of the year for me..

Par 3: Tried to hit a low draw directly into gale force wind yesterday, instead hung it out to the right. The ball bounces off a bridge O'Carroll style and lands 25 feet from the cup.

I drained the birdie putt, which I suppose would have been my best 'shot' of the day, but that was a funny hole. I don't generally find myself getting good breaks on course, so it felt good to get a ridiculously good one for a change.

I'm just starting to have more confidence in hitting certain shaped shots. I was on a cart path about 200 yards out stuck behind some junk on the right side of the hole on a Par 5 for my third shot. Took relief, and had to hit a big cut with to get the ball anywhere near the green. Hit a great high cut hybrid probably about 185 in the air and it bounced into a greenside bunker, but it was more about having to hit the shaped shot to get it kinda close.

Last night, par 5 #1 on Shawnee white course ... nice drive, then bombed the 2h, left me with an approach shot that seemed 30-40 yards closer than I've ever been before. I must have somehow hit that 2h close to 230 yds with little rollout due to the wet fairways, medium trajectory, slight draw - it was ridiculous. Took care of the easy approach & made the birdie putt.

Par 3, 148 yards. Hit a 9 iron that never left the flag. There was a group of 4 waiting for me to hit so they could get to one of their balls and when I heard them shout OH! when it hopped and stopped I knew it was close. It was kind of hard to see, but it's by far the best shot I've ever hit on that hole. They've shortened that hole and given us a better angle while they re-sod the normal tee box.

Oh, and I made the putt.

11173380_817326126716_5295964779613544228_n.jpg

I actually had two great shots today. This one was the short par 4 10th. It used to be a par 5, but they cut it down to a short par 4 so they could build some condos, so now it plays at 309 and down the hill. It was also playing downwind today, so I decided to go more at the green than normal. You can play conservative and hit it to the right in the fairway and leave yourself a tricky 30-60 yard wedge shot to a green that runs away from you. I took a more aggressive line right at the hole and smoked my drive. I knew it would be close, but I thought I'd be in the front bunker that guards the green. We get up there and I obviously one-hopped into the bunker and rolled out just past the flag and into the fringe on the other side of the green! A little bit of luck, but I really hit it online and struck it well.

So now I'm left with about a 10-12 foot putt for eagle. There's not a straight putt on this green so I aim about 2 cups to the left and struck a great putt and buried the eagle! First eagle of year and first eagle in a very long time.

Here's where my drive ended up:

11039248_817315632746_2910280196160744750_n.jpg

I rattled the flag stick from 100 yards today. Unfortunately it kicked off the sick and left me an 8 footer for bird which I missed! It was still pretty cool to see though.

Last round I played was a couple of weeks ago @ Caledonia. I had parred 4 straight going into 18 and knew I needed a par to break 90. Things weren't going as planned as I put my tee ball in the water. I dropped about 155 out and hit an 8 iron with a little draw, I got a good kick first bounch and ended up about 15 below the hole. It was very cool hitting on to that green with people sitting above watching your approach, and it made it even better when I made that putt to close out a 39 on the back. That 50 on the front sure hurt a lot though. There's always next time :).

Sank a 25 footer for a par save and got my round back on track after a horrific start. 2nd best shot was sticking a 7 iron to 10 feet 2 holes later on a par 3. Missed that putt but 2 pars in 3 holes, and a duffed chip away from 3 pars on the last 4 holes, was just what I needed to end the tough round on a positive note.

I had a number of good shots today, but the best would have to be a nice out from a bunker. The bunker was very flat, but the ball was 6 inches away from the lip furthest from the hole. I had to make a pretty steep swing to get behind the ball. I popped the ball out and onto the fringe and th ball released down to leave 6 feet for birdie. Sank the putt!

On my last hole of the day, I accidentally hit an awesome drive with a draw, on a hole that actually calls for a draw. It was marvelous and made me forget about the two horrid pulled drives that preceded that one.

I had 2 today that are worth writing about:

Par 3 12th hole was playing 141, hit a smooth 8 iron with a little baby draw to about 5 feet and drained the birdie putt.

Par 5 9th hole I hit a good drive and a nice 7 iron to lay up to 95 yards......hit a nice 54* that took one hop and stopped pin high about 8 feet from the cup (don't ask about the putt)

Topped my drive on par 4 16 sending into a fairway bunker. Could see the flag and knew I could get a 9I over the lip. 157 out and just focused like a fairway shot...ball first. Landed 5ft past the pin. Missed stupid birdie putt but got the come back par.

Had 149 yards into a strong breeze. I hit a mid trajectory draw 9i 8 feet below the hole and made the putt for birdie.

Mini driver 260 off the tee on a short par 4, ending up in the fairway bunker I wanted to avoid.

It was awesome though.

I had 2 in my 9 hole evening round Monday, and both were on the same hole and right after a horrible shot. I am not good enough to play the tips regularly, but did for fun because my driver has been really on and long for me lately. It was the #3 hole, 522 yard par 5. I hit my first tee shot hooked into water that runs the entire length of the left side of the hole. I re-hit from the tee and landed in the right side of the fairway with 234 to the pin. I decided to try the 3 wood since I expected the hole to be shot after the penalty. However, I hit the shot dead straight to the front of the green and rolled to about 4 feet from the pin and made the put to save par.

It is the best hole I've ever played. My 8 year old was there to witness. And before you think I'm an Internet golfer, I drove a 336 yard par 4 at the UST Event with witnesses present. I just really struggle with consistency but it's finally seeming to come around for me.

I had 2 really good ones today.

First was on #12, an 8 iron from 164 yards

6a51c6f61e3734c530ba73b7300cc8ab.jpg

The second was on #16, a 127 yard 48° wedge

f0a756e1d00137ebbeb1b95e832e1dbc.jpg

I hit a 3h out of the woods...beautifully drew it around the last tree...it was running right down the middle of the fairway and hit the 150 stick only to shoot left back to the edge of the woods

19th hole, the scotch was perfect!!

I had 2 great recovery shots today after duffing 50 yard drives on 2 par 5s. They both gave me birdie looks. Ended up with pars but after those tee shots i was ecstatic.

Last edited:
I'd have to say the best of my round was probably the last iron I hit (and I hit many well today). 18 has a 20" or so elevated green. Was 142 out into a slight breeze. 8 iron never left the stick and ended up about 8 feet past because I flighted it lower (C Tapers huzzah!) Twas validation that they are a great pairing with the Apex

At bear dance gc, 410 yd par 4 playing down hill and dog leg left. Hit 4 iron over the corner leaving 118 to pin tucked left on elevated green and on small top tier of the green. Short and right would roll way down the green leaving difficult 2 putt. Stuck the wedge on the correct tier to about 7 ft. Missed the putt...

At bear dance gc, 410 yd par 4 playing down hill and dog leg left. Hit 4 iron over the corner leaving 118 to pin tucked left on elevated green and on small top tier of the green. Short and right would roll way down the green leaving difficult 2 putt. Stuck the wedge on the correct tier to about 7 ft. Missed the putt...
That was hammered...90% air. Actually I think I saw the trees duck to get out of the way...#cornercuttingbeast

Back