The best shot of the round

Yesterday: 6iron from 155, severely uphill, usually more than a full club up, to the center of the green, about 20ft from the back pin and right on line. Burned the edge with my birdie putt ( Recently pushed greens not helping)

Crushed this drive through a heavy downpour
3b21709df415bc8cd08f975e196a3b58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week I hit an 8i tee shot to within 18" and was pretty happy about that. Today, it was a 165 yard 6i out of the rough to a little over 2'. I was just hoping to make good contact and get it close to the green, TBH.

Hitting irons well sure makes this game a little easier and a lot more enjoyable.

6i165.jpg

Crushed a drive on the par 5 17th but missed the right side position. Didn't want to layup and hit another wedge, so the only shot was to wrap a big 7i draw up and around the trees.

191y later

20210629_160219.jpg

A crime against an eagle happened after that, which I think is a felony..

Screenshot_20210629-210307_Video Player.jpg

but it was still a really good shot to even give myself a chance from that position. The flight window was real small.

When you are out of position, what is better than making a recovery shot to save par? Making a recovery shot to set up birdie. That's what happened on the first hole today. I had a funky lie after my tee shot (in the fairway) and flew my second shot into the right rough. I got a clean strike on an iffy lie and the shot landed 15 feet from the cup leaving an uphill putt with about a 3-inch break that I poured in for birdie.

Last night I had a drive where I almost missed the ball and it ended up only going 159 yards to the right rough. I had a blind shot over a hill and put one of my best swings of the night with a 6 iron and it never left the flag. We drove up and it was a foot from the hole for a tap in birdie

Hit a bunch of good wedges again today, but this one was right after a 3 putt bogey on #9. Pounded the drive on 10, and told everyone I was gonna stick this wedge and get that stroke back.

20210630_135319.jpg

And I did. Felt better. Lol

Apple Mountain #11, par-4, 335 yd from the whites, need to hit less than driver for the downhill tee shot, either hitting to somewhere around the 150 yd marker, or going longer and risking a potentially severe downhill lie. I hit my 4-hybrid off the tee, got a little lucky with the roll, ending up with a pretty level lie (a few yards shorter or longer would have left a tough downhill lie), leaving 105 yds to the hole. Shot of the day was the full 55* wedge from there, pin high and just a little left of the hole.

Second shot was from here (club head is in my divot):

Apple 11th 01.jpg

and ended up here (yes, I made the putt):

Apple 11th 02.jpg

Had a greenside bunker shot lip out for eagle. I’ve been in bunker hell lately so this was a huge shot! And I’ve never holed out from the sand before.

Had a really good round ball striking with some bombs off the tee but my best shot was out of the sand. I have been terrible out of green side bunkers (maybe 1 out of 5 shots gets out and no where near the hole) but my dad gave me a lesson and I have been feeling more comfortable lately. I put 4/5 bunker shots on the green today and all in good position but had a real beauty on 18. After a crushed drive I left my approach short in a bunker. Needed a decent score on 18 to keep the round together and hit an awesome sand shot, left it to about 8 feet from 50 ft away. The shot felt great and that is an awesome result for me.

Had to be the bunker shot on 18. It is one of those deep bunkers and my ball was pin high. The hole was a front position that anything above it runs off the green. The bunker is to the left of the pin. My ball almost plugged into the lip, but just popped I up a bit. I couldn't play a normal bunker shot since I am a righty. The only way to play the shot was to stand outside the bunker and bend a lot the knees a lot. I opened the face a lot and took a controlled, but mighty lash at it and popped it out landing it on the fringe. The ball released down just past the hole and settled just off the green. I burned the edge for par, but was very happy with a bogey from that lie and angle.

Three of my best shots after a poor one. First drive was lost in knee high rough past the last tree on the left.

Hit a provisional to the middle of the fairway. A low draw that rolled out 30 yards. The pitch stopped at about 6' after the hole; pitch mark was inches away. Simple uphill putt to save par.

I wish there was a way to put errant shots into Arccos. My first drive was very similar to the perfect provisional except it didn't draw.
Screenshot_20210703-133533.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Interesting situation yesterday. I came out as a single and waiting 2 hours as every spot was filled. Then there were three groups playing a scramble. A bunch of guys from the referee's association (mostly football and basketball refs). They had one no show. So they put me in the last group. They gave me the option to play with them or on my own and informed me they got permission for me to play. I left it up to them, but told them that if I played with them I could help the team. So they said, you're on the team!

I was the only low HC out there, so not surprisingly our group won and the guys in my group were ecstatic! But for me, the best thing is they were all great guys to be with...and we finished in 4 hours, which with a packed course was great!

This format always gives lots of opportunities for hero shots. I'll go with this one for BSOTR. 60 yards out on a par 5 I hit a partial wedge high and dropped it 1 foot from the pin for a kick in birdie.

I hit an incredibly small window today. I was playing terrible and decided to go for this tremendously stupid shot. It ended up trickling into a hazard, but I hit that window like a freaking boss.

Last edited:
Played a short 9 hole course in Carlton, MN this morning. All of the par 3s were 150 - 180 yards. A few holes were in the 250 - 300 yard range. No par 5s. I hit a lot of good iron shots onto the greens today. I'm loving my new Apex DCB irons!

This may be the only time I post a drive as my best shot ever...

Par 5 with a narrow landing zone. I would typically lay up due to a wild driver, but the driver was behaving so I went for it. The needle was thread, and I found the middle of the fairway off the tee after a drive well above average.

1625350816933.png

Hole #3 stuck a 4i from 225 to 7' and got an eagle to start me on a heck of a run.

20210704_114608.jpg

This is a 233y par 3 with the pin at 243y today.

20210704_115119.jpg

That's where I smoked 5i to with a breeze from the right.

Screenshot_20210704-115332_TheGrint.jpg20210704_115230.jpg

And that's where I made birdie from on a very long par 3. :giggle:.

I really liked that 5i.

Back