The best shot of the round

Hit a couple nice draws with my driver today. I can call up a draw even though my natural shot is a fade.
Hit two draws in a row, then hit a slice. All as intended! Nice to be able to be able to reliably work the driver!
The slice goes around the trees. I've hit that slice all the time.

The draw on the 7th hole was the shot of the day, as I've never been so close to the green with driver.

**I think the reason I can do either is that I'm cross dominant. I can write neatly with either hand.

Last edited:
Going with this approach shot as BSOTR primarily because of the difficulty. Long 420 yard par 4 over water to a diagonal fairway. I had a good drive, though further right than I wanted which took the ball to the long side leaving me a 4 hybrid to the pin. The problem is this green is well protected with bunkers front right and left as well as long. The only way to get it on the green is to land it just short of the 20 foot wide and 5 foot high burn between the front two bunkers. If you land it on the green with that club and distance the ball will run through the green and into the bunker behind the green. I executed the shot as described, the ball started right on the flag, landed just short of the burn, climbed it and rolled out to 6 feet from the pin. Made the putt for birdie on this long and difficult par 4.

Drove the green. Absolute bomb as this plays uphill to an elevated green as well.

1fd729f4f719ef4cfd610f26dff827d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday it was this one

5i 227y to 10' for an eagle chance that I drained.

Today it was a a chip in from about 25y in the thick rough to halve a match.

The 15th Hole.....

I was grouped with a man, his wife and daughter. Finally two people to play the 5600 yd tees with me. After our little competition on the 13th hole, my little blowup on the 14th, it was "on" on the 15th hole. The man's wife and daughter had duffed their tee shots, while the two of us were in the fairway about 150 yds from the green. This shot plays as 180. I tried to warn him, but he didn't take enough club and ended up behind the greenside bunker. Then my shot was only 140 but plays as 147 to a forward pin. So I went 8i - I had a different angle and elevation. I duffed the hell out of that shot and ended up in the same place. Here's where it begins.

We're both 40 yds out. Forward pin location. He hit his pitch that landed short of the hole but it rolled about 15 feet past the hole. And he said, "the pressure is on." Well, his shot was within PGA tour average from that distance. I pulled my 58 and set up for a flop shot, dropped it about 8 feet short and it settled 4 feet from the hole. "Now the pressure is on," I said. <<< this is the best shot of the round.

Well, he drained the 15 foot putt and gave me that look. I hate 4' putts with a passion. I don't mind 3' putts, but I detest 4' putts. It lipped out. :banghead: It was the putter, right?

I made the toughest shot for an amateur on a busy Sunday afternoon!
8th hole, middle of the fairway after a great drive. 55 yards from the pin of an elevated green.
Long wait for the green to clear.

Lands in the middle of the green, 8 feet from the pin!
Two putt for a four on a long Par 3.

Last edited:
196 into the wind, second shot long par 4 where the wind ate my drive alive. Hit 5i, tight draw landed stone dead pin high 3 feet. 🔥

Best shot of the round yesterday was a real difficult little chip.
Greenside rough, ball was down in a dip with one foot in the bunker.
Very little green to work with and the total distance was only about 18 feet.
I squared the club face and chipped it in for a bird on a difficult par 5.

18th hole, par 4 which plays slightly uphill and is now a risk/reward hole where longer hitters can be tempted to go for the green from the new tee

I hit 4i off the tee which didn't fade and left myself with a 90yd second shot from the rough where I could only see the top of the flag due to the bushes in my line of sight
Pulled my 54° wedge and aimed it just right of the pin and struck it well, so was hoping for the ball to be in the middle of the green, or if it released from the rough it could have rolled to the back of the green

Jen was walking up the fairway and she said she was sure she had seen it drop, and sure enough, when we got to the green my ball was nowhere to be seen, so when I checked the hole it was sat in there for an eagle hole out (and also helped me shoot a PB for 9 holes by being -1 for the back 9)

Had to be my tee shot on #3 Par 3 playing 178yds. This is a hole I struggle hitting the green on as it is guarded by bunkers in front and left of the green. Green is very large running left to right and narrow front to back. Pin is typically tucked behind front bunker.
Yesterdaybi pulled 6i and took a nice and easy tempo swing. Stuck it to 10’.

3rd hole. My draw lands on the left side of the fairway. They moved to an alternate green and back so I don't trust the GPS.
100+ yards with a tree right in the middle. I pull the 7 iron and hit it right over the tree. Lands on the green and ends up pin high, 15 feet from the hole!

This BSOTR is going to be a little unusual. It was a 12 foot left to right breaking putt on the 1st hole. It's not that long of a putt. But the fact is that putt was so pure, so well struck that it allowed me to replicate one high quality putt after another all round. I 1-putted the first 5 holes and none were short putts. I had 28 putts on the round and didn't have a particularly sharp day on my approach shots. So, the driving and the putting held everything together today.

Was playing from the tips today. Only reason is I was paired up with a guy that wanted too. He absolutely smashes the ball!🌋

Said he was a +3 after I told him when he asked me what mine was. I think he may have been better than that!

I was doing good not trying to keep up with him and keeping in my own world.

Par 3 Hole 16 from back there was showing 230yds! It lazered at 210 with slope and had a breeze behind us.

He pulls out his PW🤪 and leaves it just short of the green. Holy **** as I've been saying that all day.

I pull my 7, put it out to the right and drew it in. We both were getting excited...
20220831_130942.jpg
Screenshot_20220831-151738_Shot Scope.jpg
Sorry so long winded, but I was pretty excited! Closest I've been to a hole in one.

I'll post a video of this guy's driver swing later in another thread. What a joy to watch this guy put the ball out there!

Said he was a +3 after I told him when he asked me what mine was. I think he may have been better than that!

I was doing good not trying to keep up with him and keeping in my own world.
The comment above seems to contradict your stated handicap. Good for you!

The comment above seems to contradict your stated handicap. Good for you!
My handicap is mental, it doubles or worse during competition 🤪. Working on that and its paying off as today almost felt like competing...haha. I almost feel like I'm more excited about watching his level of golf!

Thank you!

E42189E9-6693-485B-8BBC-0F35243C9950.png
The trees were in between my ball and the green. I could hit a punch or pitch to the center of the fairway which would be the safe play or I could cut a ball sitting above my feet in a hook lie to carve it around the trouble right while avoiding the pond left. There was room right so I could overcook it to be safe. I considered clubbing up since I was choking down to the graphite but I am confident with my 6i and I didn’t account for the distance loss from hitting a fade. Plus I was hitting a stupid shot and I knew it. The ball flight was almost exactly what I saw in my mind. I started it a little left but it started turning right halfway there and left me in a good position which I didn’t capitalize. 3 rounds in a row with a shot that played out the way I wanted.

Just barely hit a fairway bunker with my drive, had 147 into a slight breeze. Took an extra club 8i and picked it clean right onto the dance floor. 15 feet left for birdie. I did miss that (like 6 other birdie putts) but was happy with that bunker shot.

I make one of my longest drives on the 7th hole, a nice draw with plenty of roll. Maybe 5 yards short of being hole high.
But, it is behind a stand of mature trees! Now that my driver works I have hazards that were never in play before!
I have ten feet between the tree branches and the ground to work with.

The lie is packed dirt, going uphill. I pull my 48* AW and hit a low shot, bouncing it up the hill below the tree branches.
It lands on a good lie five feet from the green, missing the bunkers! I finish it out with a short high pitch shot and one putt.

Big 8i from 186 to 6" for a tap in eagle and a $1200 win. Closest I've been to an albatross in a bit. Missed the jar by about 3"

Got insanely close yet again to a HIO. Was 190 yards uphill. Ball hit around 5 yards in front of the flag and rolled to here. One day I’ll get one
9c1b8f4cf606c3e413b27abf02bfd1af.jpg

. But not today

Best shot last round was probably not one most people would call best shot. I have a 12 degree driver cut 1 inch short for my tree club because it won't get higher than 3 feet hitting off the deck. I was in the trees on a par 5 after hitting the cart path and seeing the ball bounce another 50 yards forward into the trees. I whacked it hard and it went through cleanly only two feet off the ground and kept rolling towards the green. Ended up about 30 yards in front. Easy chip and two putt par. I estimated the rollout along was over 150 yards.

Got insanely close yet again to a HIO. Was 190 yards uphill. Ball hit around 5 yards in front of the flag and rolled to here. One day I’ll get one
9c1b8f4cf606c3e413b27abf02bfd1af.jpg

. But not today

Maybe a day or two more recovery from punching the greens and it would have been a HIO?

Back