The Car Shopping Thread

I've got about 75K on my 2012 Chevy Sonic turbo with the 6-speed manual. I get 39.2 per gallon overall.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I did for the MKZ. Stop asking me what I need my monthly bill at. I only want to know 2 things.
1. Car Price
2. Trade In Value

Exactly this! And in that order, too.

I bought my current car 9 years ago at Saturn because I didn't want to deal with the sales BS (and I say this as someone who's been in sales for 18 years now) and I am NOT looking forward to dealing with the headaches in a few weeks. I had a couple or three doozies when it came to buying cars for myself & my wife, and don't want a rehash of those experiences. My plan is to test drive the 3 models I want to consider, then decide from there which I liked the best and try and deal with the Internet sales manager instead of the crap payment games they always want to play.

So it finally happened..my 95 M3 w 137k on it said it had enough today and went out with a giant cloud of bluish tinted smoke... in the near future an unexciting 08 SRX will be its replacement for now.

No idea what to get. Something fast, fun, sharp looking, reliable with enough room for kid seats in the back.

Any suggestions?

Forward, or rear-facing car seats? Temporary situation but makes a big difference.

The Ford Fusion/Lincoln MKZ hybrids are rumored to be quick with great mileage and are the same price as non-hybrid versions. That's very uncommon. Roomy inside.

The current Mazda 6 is the bargain of sedans these days-inexpensive, great driver, drop-dead gorgeous.

If you lease, the M-B C-class, CLA and infinity Q50(old G), BMW 320i lease at very good rates. M-b is advertising the C with AWD for $349/month for instance.

So many options...

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up with an Infiniti M35h. It's a hybrid with the premium package and at 362 hp, got the power and size I was looking for. It's CPO so all the warranties are still good and they extended the power train as well.

While it has everything I was basically looking for, the trunk is on the small side since the batteries are placed back there. I was fine with compromising on that though since we can use my wife's car for family trips, etc. And as long as the golf clubs fit, I'm good!

7641b301b396e6378eeb77e0f921ddab.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up with an Infiniti M35h. It's a hybrid with the premium package and at 362 hp, got the power and size I was looking for. It's CPO so all the warranties are still good and they extended the power train as well.

While it has everything I was basically looking for, the trunk is on the small side since the batteries are placed back there. I was fine with compromising on that though since we can use my wife's car for family trips, etc. And as long as the golf clubs fit, I'm good!

7641b301b396e6378eeb77e0f921ddab.jpg
Looks great, always like those cars

Nice ride Chris!

I got a call from ford asking if I wanted to sell my truck back to them because used F150's are always in demand. They said they could get me in a new truck for around the same payment with no more money down. Based off Kelley blue book my truck is worth 14K and I probably owe close to the same amount. Is this even a possibility or are they just trying to get me in the door to sell me a new truck with a large payment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a call from ford asking if I wanted to sell my truck back to them because used F150's are always in demand. They said they could get me in a new truck for around the same payment with no more money down. Based off Kelley blue book my truck is worth 14K and I probably owe close to the same amount. Is this even a possibility or are they just trying to get me in the door to sell me a new truck with a large payment?

My local Chevy/GMC dealer keeps trying to buy my truck back but its always a joke.
Them: "We want your truck and will pay top dollar!"
Me: " OK. I assume top dollar is within 15% of what a comparable truck is listed for on your lot?"
Them: "Eeerrrrrr, uhhhhh, geeeee, hmmm."
Me: "thanks but no thanks. "

Absolutely. You just start over on your payments. If you never want to own a vehicle it's very possible.

My local Chevy/GMC dealer keeps trying to buy my truck back but its always a joke.
Them: "We want your truck and will pay top dollar!"
Me: " OK. I assume top dollar is within 15% of what a comparable truck is listed for on your lot?"
Them: "Eeerrrrrr, uhhhhh, geeeee, hmmm."
Me: "thanks but no thanks. "

Absolutely. You just start over on your payments. If you never want to own a vehicle it's very possible.

If all I have to do is extend my payment another 4 years or so and it basically stays the same then I would definitely consider it. My current truck is going to need brakes and tires fairly soon so I would be saving money in the short term. At least that's how I justify it to myself.

I had a family friend who traded in their car every two years. I never understood why they didn't lease, same deal with a much lower payment.

Always a favorite. One of the nicest interiors out there.
Congrats and good luck with it.

If all I have to do is extend my payment another 4 years or so and it basically stays the same then I would definitely consider it. My current truck is going to need brakes and tires fairly soon so I would be saving money in the short term. At least that's how I justify it to myself.

If that's what you do, you should look into leasing. No point in tying that money up in a vehicle just to renew the loan regularly. Leasing would free that $14k to be invested and work for you instead of depreciating in your driveway.

If that's what you do, you should look into leasing. No point in tying that money up in a vehicle just to renew the loan regularly. Leasing would free that $14k to be invested and work for you instead of depreciating in your driveway.

I've never heard good things about leasing. Everyone always told me to stay away from it. By the time I lay off my current loan I will probably need a new truck anyways based off of the mileage I drive a year. I figure if I get something new I'll still be able to drive it for a few years once the loan is paid off.

I've never heard good things about leasing. Everyone always told me to stay away from it. By the time I lay off my current loan I will probably need a new truck anyways based off of the mileage I drive a year. I figure if I get something new I'll still be able to drive it for a few years once the loan is paid off.

Are you planning on doing a shorter loan period?

Are you planning on doing a shorter loan period?

No probably 6 years to keep the payment lower.

Leases are fine you just need to understand the language .

Like anything it's a complicated process and they lure you in with low payments .

Do the research and leasing is much more economical unless you drive a ton .

If you plan on turning over your vehicles every 3-5 years leasing is the only way to go IMO.
Buying only makes sense for long term ownership and actually intending to own it at some point.

Leases are fine you just need to understand the language .

Like anything it's a complicated process and they lure you in with low payments .

Do the research and leasing is much more economical unless you drive a ton .

I drive 25-30,000 a year. I always thought that was to much.

No probably 6 years to keep the payment lower.

I would definitely look into leasing, if you like to replace frequently it will typically save you money. With a 6 year loan you can frequently end up upside down in the loan, and unless you have a great rate will pay a lot if interest since it's such a long loan. It's not for everyone but it's worth looking into.

I am weighting purchase vs lease for the replacement for my wife's Jetta.

I would definitely look into leasing, if you like to replace frequently it will typically save you money. With a 6 year loan you can frequently end up upside down in the loan, and unless you have a great rate will pay a lot if interest since it's such a long loan. It's not for everyone but it's worth looking into.

I am weighting purchase vs lease for the replacement for my wife's Jetta.

I just drive a lot of miles per year. I will definitely look into it though.

I just drive a lot of miles per year. I will definitely look into it though.

Yah 25k is way too much.

Your payment would be astronomical.

Back