The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

This club did a lot of work my last outing. It is probably the 2nd best change to the bag this year (putter being first). I could never find a fairway wood I was able to hit halfway decently or consistently in the past. The hy-wood is secure in its spot behind the driver until my game improves.

Mine is out of the bag for now, I’m killing the G425 17*5* 5W.

Hi, Hywood update. I had my fitting at the Srixon Centre of Excellence today which was very informative. Nic was really helpful and demonstrated using the gcquad what I suspected. That basically I get the same distance out of my Ping G30, Ping G410 3 an four hybrids and 5 iron. He spent a good deal of time gapping out a solution and whilst the 3 Hywood was a top club ultimately my gapping, spin and trajectory were served much better with the Cleveland halo five wood, seven wood and five hybrid.
Ultimately, replacing four clubs that do the same with three clubs That are really well gapped. For me they were amazing straight,easy to hit and launch. I held back from the 3 wood but am tempted. Would like to try it out more. Ended up with stiff shafts and ordered the three straight away. Price much lower than the big boy brands too. Glad I didn’t take a punt on the Hywood as my set up suits me better. However I did hit the Hywood and agree it’s a very good club. I just got better results for me from the five wood.

Hi, Hywood update. I had my fitting at the Srixon Centre of Excellence today which was very informative. Nic was really helpful and demonstrated using the gcquad what I suspected. That basically I get the same distance out of my Ping G30, Ping G410 3 an four hybrids and 5 iron. He spent a good deal of time gapping out a solution and whilst the 3 Hywood was a top club ultimately my gapping, spin and trajectory were served much better with the Cleveland halo five wood, seven wood and five hybrid.
Ultimately, replacing four clubs that do the same with three clubs That are really well gapped. For me they were amazing straight,easy to hit and launch. I held back from the 3 wood but am tempted. Would like to try it out more. Ended up with stiff shafts and ordered the three straight away. Price much lower than the big boy brands too. Glad I didn’t take a punt on the Hywood as my set up suits me better. However I did hit the Hywood and agree it’s a very good club. I just got better results for me from the five wood.

Good move to get fit and figure out what's the right thing from a gapping perspective.

I should have done the same thing. I had a fantastic fitting with PXG for a driver. Afterward I talked to the fitter about my recent problems at the top of the bag and he suggested I do another fitting for a FW/hybrid and figure out what works best after my 4H...and if my swing was more conducive to a hybrid or FW wood at that shaft length.

The driver I bought went on sale for $50 the next week. So when I called to get a credit for it, I just applied it to a 5-wood to match my driver. <sigh>. Would have been much smarter to actually look at the numbers and see what was a good fit.

Honestly, I think most people would agree with you with the 5w and Hy-wood.

I really, really need to get the top of my bag settled and forget about it.
The G425 3w is safe. Surprisingly, my trusted G425 Max might be losing out to the Rogue ST Max driver. The G425 5w has just about beat the Hy-wood and the LauncherXL/Epic Super 21* hybrid is too close too call right now.

Last edited:
I also was torn between the Halo 5 wood and hy-wood. Demo'd them side by side. The 5 wood was hit further. But, the Hy-wood is easier to hit and is the best club I've had for the 2nd shot on a par 5. It goes far enough and it's really hard to mess up the shot.

I also was torn between the Halo 5 wood and hy-wood. Demo'd them side by side. The 5 wood was hit further. But, the Hy-wood is easier to hit and is the best club I've had for the 2nd shot on a par 5. It goes far enough and it's really hard to mess up the shot.
I figured out a way how to do it… 😂

Honestly, I think most people would agree with you with the 5w and Hy-wood.

I really, really need to get the top of my bag settled and forget about it.
The G425 3w is safe. Surprisingly, my trusted G425 Max might be losing out to the Rogue ST Max driver. The G425 5w has just about beat the Hy-wood and the LauncherXL/Epic Super 21* hybrid is too close too call right now.
I think it’s just down to personal choice or what works for the individual. The dispersion I got on the five wood was very close to the Hywood it’s just that the five wood gapped better with the seven and then then five hybrid for me. They all launched really easily and straight. I probably should consider the 3 wood too but it all adds up Money wise. I think Cleveland clubs appear to be underrated.
The fitter also had a quick look at driver and for me the Cleveland Launcher couldn‘t get near my Rogue Max ST.
I was fit for the Rogue Max ST and it came down to a choice between the Rogue Max ST vs Ping G425 SFT and it was so close. Only went for the Max in the end because it didn’t lock me into a draw driver. The standard G425 wasn’t doing it for me. Saying that, there wasn’t much in it from the driver heads, it was the shaft that made the difference.
It’s so hard finding the right advice to fit properly, I think I have got lucky but have had to pay for it..

Good move to get fit and figure out what's the right thing from a gapping perspective.

I should have done the same thing. I had a fantastic fitting with PXG for a driver. Afterward I talked to the fitter about my recent problems at the top of the bag and he suggested I do another fitting for a FW/hybrid and figure out what works best after my 4H...and if my swing was more conducive to a hybrid or FW wood at that shaft length.

The driver I bought went on sale for $50 the next week. So when I called to get a credit for it, I just applied it to a 5-wood to match my driver. <sigh>. Would have been much smarter to actually look at the numbers and see what was a good fit.
I know what you mean. I’m replacing clubs that number wise are meant to go a certain distance. My 5 wood, 3 rescue, 4 rescue and five iron all go the same distance and I purchased the woods based on the number on the clubs not on a gapping session. Some of that is down to ability but the shafts play a big role. The Cleveland fitting I hope has addressed this I hope. Been a costly lesson though.

I’m still loving the Hy-Wood. One of the rockstars of my bag.

215 Yards out, over water and into wind. Eagle putt (made Birdie). 72CBF4EA-B2C3-4FCC-9F75-5EDB88535BCB.jpeg

Man, I’m in a funk with my Hy-wood…

Do you prefer the Cleveland hywood vs the cleveland 3 hybrid?
The Hywood and the 3 hybrid are the exact same club except the shaft of the Hywood is 1" longer. But it costs $20 more and you can't customize with different shafts. Doesn't really make sense to me. Just get the 3 hybrid and order it with a 1" longer shaft(for free). Plus you can order it with any other shaft that may fit you better.

I don’t really know why I have a 3 Wood. This club literally makes it obsolete for me.

The Hywood and the 3 hybrid are the exact same club except the shaft of the Hywood is 1" longer. But it costs $20 more and you can't customize with different shafts. Doesn't really make sense to me. Just get the 3 hybrid and order it with a 1" longer shaft(for free). Plus you can order it with any other shaft that may fit you better.
Yep, I got the 3 hybrid which is basically 1-inch shorter, and I am much more consistent with the shorter 3 hybrid. When I absolutely need to hit a fairway, need a dead straight shot or I'm fighting wind I pull the 3 hybrid.

I don’t really know why I have a 3 Wood. This club literally makes it obsolete for me.
You can hit it as far as a 3 wood?

You can hit it as far as a 3 wood?
I hit it 215-230. No real need for a 3 wood. I hardly ever hit a 3 wood off the deck and I hit my driver so consistently that I rarely use a 3w off the tee.

Hy-wood and Launcher 3 wood are two completely different clubs for me.

Played my first round yesterday with the fitted Cleveland clubs. Fitted away from the Hywood into a five wood, seven wood and five hybrid. Have to admit. These clubs are great and so user friendly. Didn’t hit the seven wood so much as the five hybrid is amazing. Should have picked seven over it a few times as I came up short but the five hybrid is so easy to hit.
five wood was great and all three were easy to launch and get down there. Only slight concern is if they perform in the wind as they are easy to launch.
Id recommend trying out the range options before settling on the Hywood as I nearly got it straight off the shelf but after the fitting found that I’d be better suited to a five wood against it.
Which ever way you go, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Cleveland woods if you’re looking for reasonable distance with strong forgiveness.
Round two with them today so will post observations but wary I’m staring from the Hywood conversation now.

The 5 wood goes further, the hy-wood is easier to launch off the fairway. I wished, I went with the 4 and 5 hybrid instead of the XL halo irons. Then Halo's 6-W, that would make a great set.

Two shots today that is the reason why I love this club. I did hit my 3w today off the tee and it does have about 15-20 more yards which were helpful today. The Hy-Wood and 3W can coexist in my bag.

593EB87B-1DA5-412B-A82F-2499E55279D8.png

Back