The Disney World Thread

With so many transportations off site places I'm not sure we will ever stay on site again at least until they redo the Swan and dolphin. Disney resorts...By far the most overpriced hotel rooms in the world.

For my wife and I, we have decided the same. But for those with kids there is something special about Disney itself. You certainly pay a premium for it though.

Just spent a few days at Food and Wine festival.
Some thoughts. I love seeing my wife at Disney. Its special.
We all ate just about everything. I got one thing by myself, it tasted funky and I got miserably sick. Fine a few hours later, but that was rough.
Never had so many ride issues as we did this trip.
Space Mountain...Closed
Test Track...Closed
Splash Mountain...Closed after being stuck on the ride for 30 minutes
Pirates...Closed
And more. They got them running, but it was freaking nightmare. Weather does that at times however.

Still wont stop me from loving the place.
Swan and Dolphin...We left after a night and stayed at the Hyatt Regency. Rooms need updating badly.
Dinner at France was simply awesome. Request Lidio as a server if you frequent.
House of Blues had really good food too.

What did you eat that didn't agree with you?

Also Swan and Dolphin aren't actually part of Disney they kinda suck.

What did you eat that didn't agree with you?

Also Swan and Dolphin aren't actually part of Disney they kinda suck.
Lobster Alfredo from america.
Yeah I know they are starwood properties however based on how they are done they are the closest thing to it without being Disney. Location/ferry while earning rewards and not getting preyed on for subpar lodging (in my opinion).

To think you can stay at Gaylord and or Hyatt Regency for the same cost as the bargain Disney hotels half the time is downright robbery.

The way Starwood obtained the ability to do this hotel, shows how both companies were involved.

Lobster Alfredo from america.
Yeah I know they are starwood properties however based on how they are done they are the closest thing to it without being Disney. Location/ferry while earning rewards and not getting preyed on for subpar lodging (in my opinion).

To think you can stay at Gaylord and or Hyatt Regency for the same cost as the bargain Disney hotels half the time is downright robbery.
Depends on how you view it. I get your point where a hotel room is more or less a function of need. Some would argue that the Disney hotels are an extension of a theme, an escape from the realities of daily life. I can stay at a Starwood anytime. At Disney, I pay to be immersed in the experience. Are the rooms as nice, no. But the giraffes outside my room at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Magical Express make up for it.

Depends on how you view it. I get your point where a hotel room is more or less a function of need. Some would argue that the Disney hotels are an extension of a theme, an escape from the realities of daily life. I can stay at a Starwood anytime. At Disney, I pay to be immersed in the experience. Are the rooms as nice, no. But the giraffes outside my room at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Magical Express make up for it.

Without a doubt and people can choose to spend their money how they see fit.
For what they are charging for the rooms, you should have that giraffe bring you food to your room.

Keep in mind that the cost is higher than just about every high end hotel in the US at the high end and at the low end, they get trounced by features vs value. If someone needs/wants that extension for sleep time, all the power to them. Their money of course.

Without a doubt and people can choose to spend their money how they see fit.
For what they are charging for the rooms, you should have that giraffe bring you food to your room.

Keep in mind that the cost is higher than just about every high end hotel in the US at the high end and at the low end, they get trounced by features vs value. If someone needs/wants that extension for sleep time, all the power to them. Their money of course.
I think our perception of value may be skewed being we don't have kids. I wonder if parents might view the cost differently?

I think our perception of value may be skewed being we don't have kids. I wonder if parents might view the cost differently?

Based on the fact that we are both on polar sides of the spectrum, I dont think it really does matter.

EDIT: I would also argue that Dolphin & Swan bring something unique outside of "staying at a Starwood". They are in Disney. They have the ferry attached. They have quite a bit that keeps them similar at half the cost. And FWIW, after checking out after only 24 hours there to go elsewhere, clearly they are not my favorite place.

Based on the fact that we are both on polar sides of the spectrum, I dont think it really does matter.

EDIT: I would also argue that Dolphin & Swan bring something unique outside of "staying at a Starwood". They are in Disney. They have the ferry attached. They have quite a bit that keeps them similar at half the cost. And FWIW, after checking out after only 24 hours there to go elsewhere, clearly they are not my favorite place.
Awesome location, sub par hotels.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412210859.292365.jpg

Here's a pic of my view this evening for work for all of my Disney THP'ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always figured you were the one throwing her out not catching her

I always figured you were the one throwing her out not catching her

Mostly I do hook her up and throw her out, every now and then I have a catch shift to just stay current.

Mostly I do hook her up and throw her out, every now and then I have a catch shift to just stay current.

I still picture her putting out a cigarette or something before she takes her leap. Makes me laugh every time I see her

I still picture her putting out a cigarette or something before she takes her leap. Makes me laugh every time I see her

That would be more Krustyland. Although every now and then we get the blood curdling scream as they get on the ledge to go and a roach or spider walks by in front of them. Very hysterical when that happens.

I am sitting in my hotel in Anaheim waiting to head to LAX for the red eye back to Tampa. I can see World of Color outside my window.

Might as well bump this thread. Leaving on the 18th for Orlando, every couple years we go on vacation with my parents, my brother, and his wife and kids. I think I am more pumped than any of my nieces and nephew to go to Disney again. Partially because I love it, but also because I am taking my little girl for the first time. She will not remember it when she gets older, but she is at that age (17 months) that she will be laughing and smiling the whole time we are there. We are doing Hollywood Studios/Magic Kingdom on the 20th and then going back on the 23rd for Mickey's Not-so-scary Halloween. My wife, daughter, and myself are dressing as superheroes. Watch out!

Have fun IN.

Look what just came in the mail

huvyra3e.jpg

Would some one please tell me that I am not the only person living on the east coast that has never been to Disney World. Sometimes, it seems that way to me.

We are also heading in on the 18th. We will be staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and will be the first time in 5 years since we attended the Food and Wine Festival. Fastpass+ is booked and we are ready to rock!

Stay away from the Lobster Alfredo at America.

its been a few years since I've been there in October. My bad memory thinks the crowds weren't so bad. Is it usually busy this time of year?

Just bought our tickets for next Tuesday and Wednesday. Baby girls turning 2! Breakfast is booked at Hollywood and vine. I am so pumped for her to see Sophia the first and doc mcstuffins. She's going to freak!

its been a few years since I've been there in October. My bad memory thinks the crowds weren't so bad. Is it usually busy this time of year?

Its busy. Not crazy like a few other times, but Food & Wine bring a lot of people.

It's gotten busier in the last few years. I think everyone caught wind a few years back that early to mid-October and early December were slower so people started adapting. The parks are back up to pre-9/11 attendance so there really is no more slower periods.

Stay away from the Lobster Alfredo at America.
I went the other day and purposely avoided it cause of what you said. The lamb chops and pork belly however were amazing.

Back