The Evolution Of Tiger's Swing

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
The Evolution Of Tiger's Swing
April 2011
A Work In Progress: Watch a video progression of Tiger's swing from four stages of his career -- the early 1990s to the present (2011). See how his technique has changed with the influence of his different teachers: Rudy Duran, John Anselmo, Butch Harmon, Hank Haney and Sean Foley.

COMING UP IN THE APRIL ISSUE OF GOLF DIGEST: Jaime Diaz analyzes the current state of Tiger's swing evolution and looks back at the tweaks and the major overhauls with five different teachers.
Credits: Early 1990s: Rudy Duran and John Anselmo (Photos: Golf Digest Resource Center): 2000: Butch Harmon (Photos by Stephen Szurlej): 2009: Hank Haney (Photos by J.D. Cuban; 2011: Sean Foley (Photos by J.D. Cuban)

http://www.golfdigest.com/services/...21001&defaultPath=/video?videoID=806643721001

I see a different swing, but I see too a different body, I wonder how much aging has to do with the swing change no matter who the coach?

Regardless of his body type (bulked up or not), I don't see why he needs to re-invent his swing??? Look at Jack Nicklaus. Early in his career he carried more weight then he did later in his PGA days. He utilized the same swing throughout his career. "His one true swing." I will never understand why he changes his swing/coach as if it were just another hair style. I think he would get more out of re-discovering his original natural swing. Just my thoughts for what its worth.:confused2:

Sick video lefty. Personally I like Tigers swing with Haney the most. I really like the mini-dip he does on the down swing to really get under and compress that ball. Just looks great.

It's amazing to see how much hes bulked up.

Sick video lefty. Personally I like Tigers swing with Haney the most. I really like the mini-dip he does on the down swing to really get under and compress that ball. Just looks great.

That dip creates more issues then good.He was and still is too extreme.We all should compress but not to that extreme .1-3 inches is all that is needed.

That dip creates more issues then good.He was and still is too extreme.We all should compress but not to that extreme .1-3 inches is all that is needed.

I agree. Something about me just likes the look of it. It might be just me but it looks like in 1990-2000 he had a ton of sway on the backswing.

I agree. Something about me just likes the look of it. It might be just me but it looks like in 1990-2000 he had a ton of sway on the backswing.

That sway was normal for that time period.Today's swings are becoming more centered like hogan was during his backswing. Tigers one serious flaw is his downswing is out of sequence.He starts with his hips and not his knee/feet. When we start with our hips ,it's gets out of sync and the hips end up stalling till the upper half catchs up..Watch his Haney swing and you will see what I'm saying

That sway was normal for that time period.Today's swings are becoming more centered like hogan was during his backswing. Tigers one serious flaw is his downswing is out of sequence.He starts with his hips and not his knee/feet. When we start with our hips ,it's gets out of sync and the hips end up stalling till the upper half catchs up..Watch his Haney swing and you will see what I'm saying

Totally see it, looks like as if the dip causes that?

He needs to get back to the swing he was making when he won his first Masters.

He needs to get back to the swing he was making when he won his first Masters.

That would be the same one that caused his knee to go bad due to "pop out". That is the major impetus for the swing he is undertaking now.

Im not a Tiger fan and watching him struggle is nice.

2000, Tiger needs to get back to this swing, he has the new surgically repaired knee so why not go back to the Tiger Slam swing?

i would love to see tiger go back to butch harmon, never should've left him in the first place

Back