The Forgotten Hole in One.

Mardin

Reaction score
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there does it make a sound?

I posed this famous question to myself today on the course regarding a shot I had. It was a small 125yd downhill par 3. I hit a high PW shot that hit the green and rolled about 6 inches from the cup.

Since I was golfing by myself and the course was not busy today the first thing that went through my mind as the ball was rolling towards the cup was..."if this ball goes into the cup, I'm the only one that's going to see it." Since I was by myself and the closest group was easily 5 holes back my hypothetical celebration would have gone unnoticed.

So if you hit a hole in one and you are the only one that sees it, did it really happen?

Yep. I wouldn't lie about something like that anyway. If somebody didn't believe me I wouldn't care a bit.

It would be a hole in one for sure, the same as a par is par, a birdie is birdie etc when you play alone. You just would not be able to turn it in to a OEM for a award without a witness.

OR you could have my luck, last summer a group of 24 of us took a road trip to play a nice course about 2 hours away.....6 foursomes, and I am in the first group. Third hole 165 yd par 3 over water and I 2 hopped it into the cup!

Great shot, lots of fun to celebrate with a big group of friends...".............my bar bill........$428.00!

OR you could have my luck, last summer a group of 24 of us took a road trip to play a nice course about 2 hours away.....6 foursomes, and I am in the first group. Third hole 165 yd par 3 over water and I 2 hopped it into the cup!

Great shot, lots of fun to celebrate with a big group of friends...".............my bar bill........$428.00!

I know it's a hole in one and I would never lie about that, but I don't know what I would have done if it went in. Maybe a quick fist pump and move on to the next hole, compared to celebrating with my friends like you did TBT.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Of course it happened. You know you made it. That's all that really matters.

I lipped out a hole in one today, and I was playing by myself. 17th hole, par 3, 8 iron. Not really sure how I wouldve felt if it dropped.

Ive never made a hole in one before but Ive made a hole in three. Pulled the first shot O.B., re-teed hit 15 feet past and spun er back into the cup. Best par I've ever had.

I hit my first eagle alone.....was bitter sweet :)

As long as I knew I would be happy. Having others would mean buying lots of drinks.:D

definitely still happened, but it's just not the same as having others to celebrate with.

According to my golfing buddies, if there's no one to see it and verify, then it didn't happen.

But in my opinion, that's a hole in one to me. I'd count it.

I know it's a hole in one and I would never lie about that, but I don't know what I would have done if it went in. Maybe a quick fist pump and move on to the next hole, compared to celebrating with my friends like you did TBT.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I know if it happens to me, I will be letting out the biggest holler I can! Sorry I messed up your swing dude, but the ace trumps that! I don't think I would settle for a fist pump on that.

Why lie about something that sacred? I personally am looking forward to my 1st hole in one so much that I don't think I could lie about actually making one. My time will come one day :D

I know if it happens to me, I will be letting out the biggest holler I can! Sorry I messed up your swing dude, but the ace trumps that! I don't think I would settle for a fist pump on that.

agreed,hell I finally made the green in 2 on a par 5 and was yelling like I won a championship,kinda hard to make the green in 2 on a 500 yard par 5 with a 255 yard drive

It is honestly really low to lie about a hole in one and I don't think many would do that as it's such a special occasion.

Agree with just about everyone in here. It definitely still counts and I'd be quite proud of it! A hole-in-one is far too sacred to lie about. But, yeah, I'd definitely prefer to have my first ace with some friends around.

The closest I've ever come to a hole in one came while I was playing alone. Of course that was a 1 hop, hit the flag stick and then redirected and bounced/rolled down the hill 15ft from the cup which ended as a par. Needless to say, I've had several teasers playing with my dad over the years where the ball will be within 6".

As far as it counting, of course it counts but some might give you the old "sure you did!" because no one saw it happen.

Yep. I wouldn't lie about something like that anyway. If somebody didn't believe me I wouldn't care a bit.

+1 Couldn't agree more.

I've gone through that conversation in my head many times...

Would I wait for the next closest group to get to the hole? Would I run to the next closest group and drag someone over? Take a picture? Jump up and down and scream like a teenage girl at a Justin Beeber concert?

All of the above... and if the course was completely empty, I would still brag that I had a hole in one... not something I would lie about...

I suppose that I'm qualified to answer since my only hole in one came on a course that was completely empty. Sure, some people think witnesses are needed, but I know that I hit the ball off the tee and it went in the hole, so it's a hole in one to me, no matter what anyone else thinks.

If I hit one with no one around, I would just sit down, and not move til a group caught me....hahaha.

If I hit one with no one around, I would just sit down, and not move til a group caught me....hahaha.

I like that plan. I have always wondered if that happened to me what I would do.

I like that plan. I have always wondered if that happened to me what I would do.

I mean...if I pulled up to a hole and a guy was sitting there, I would believe him. How bad would it suck if you did sit there only to find out the ball wasnt in the hole....haha. Hidden behind the pin or something

I mean...if I pulled up to a hole and a guy was sitting there, I would believe him. How bad would it suck if you did sit there only to find out the ball wasnt in the hole....haha. Hidden behind the pin or something

Or you where playing at 6 o'clock or something. That would be a long night.

Back