The GHIN Soft Cap

Just got soft capped 2 weeks ago. After playing for nearly 60 years it’s like I forgot how to play. Lesson scheduled for Wednesday. I have kept between 11 and 15 for 20 years but now am at 18. know age is a significant part of it but golf is my only outlet from being a caregiver for my wife of 51 years. On the plus side it is a lot easier to win money in my club :) .

I was soft-capped the beginning of 2023 and then had the low in October. I think most that play golf aren’t going to be on a consistent downward trajectory and will have peaks and valleys.

I have the soft cap applied. Low index was 2.8. Currently, 6.5

I found this handicap calculator and added my last 20 rounds

Which is more accurate for me?

IMG_4332.jpegIMG_4333.jpeg

I found this handicap calculator and added my last 20 rounds

Which is more accurate for me?

View attachment 9240424View attachment 9240425
The index you calculated is probably more realistic because it doesn't use artificial limitations to influence the outcome. I understand what they're trying to accomplish with the soft/hard caps, but like most things the USGA does, it's a shotgun approach that negatively affects far more golfers than it benefits.

Now I'm soft capped just before the Goat Cup. I think JB is behind it to benefit Team Finley. ;)

Now I'm soft capped just before the Goat Cup. I think JB is behind it to benefit Team Finley. ;)
Im asking genuinely, at a 17.8, how are you being soft capped?

Im asking genuinely, at a 17.8, how are you being soft capped?
I dunno. This is what it says. I don’t think it is capping much. Maybe 0.5 strokes from my math. It’s just amusing more than anything.

IMG_4348.png

My cap is showing .7 lower than it was at the end of last season. I can't post a score until March 1st. That's all I understand about it.

I dunno. This is what it says. I don’t think it is capping much. Maybe 0.5 strokes from my math. It’s just amusing more than anything.

View attachment 9245024
So the handicap has risen 3 points in a short amount of time?
That would explain the soft cap. 3 points is a LOT.

My cap is showing .7 lower than it was at the end of last season. I can't post a score until March 1st. That's all I understand about it.
GHIN tracks your lowest cap over the last 12 months (on a rolling basis). If at any time your current cap rises 3 strokes above your lowest cap for the last 12 months, you're soft capped. Upward movement from there will be suppressed by 50% until you reach 5 strokes above your lowest cap for the last 12 months, at which point you're hard capped - no more upward movement is possible.

Since it's on a continuous/rolling basis, the soft cap can come and go. If your lowest cap was close to 12 months ago, it'll change as that lowest cap fades beyond 12 months. If your lowest cap was 4 weeks ago, enjoy being soft capped because you'll be there for a while unless/until your current cap falls below that 3 strokes level.

GHIN tracks your lowest cap over the last 12 months (on a rolling basis). If at any time your current cap rises 3 strokes above your lowest cap for the last 12 months, you're soft capped. Upward movement from there will be suppressed by 50% until you reach 5 strokes above your lowest cap for the last 12 months, at which point you're hard capped - no more upward movement is possible.

Since it's on a continuous/rolling basis, the soft cap can come and go. If your lowest cap was close to 12 months ago, it'll change as that lowest cap fades beyond 12 months. If your lowest cap was 4 weeks ago, enjoy being soft capped because you'll be there for a while unless/until your current cap falls below that 3 strokes level.
So the soft cap pets put in place essentially to prevent sandbagging?

So the soft cap pets put in place essentially to prevent sandbagging?
Yep. It keeps the sandbagger from posting up a bunch of high scores right before a competition and jacking his handicap up 5 or 6 strokes.

I was soft capped in the first half of 2023. Some very poor off-season winter rounds in some warm weather states really jacked up my scores. It came back down to “normal” un-capped range by mid year.

Yep. It keeps the sandbagger from posting up a bunch of high scores right before a competition and jacking his handicap up 5 or 6 strokes.
Even going up 3 strokes in a brief period is not all that easy.

It's not, and if somebody looks up your handicap and reviews the scores/differentials, it's pretty obvious what's going on. Handicaps don't go up nearly as fast as they go down.

It's not, and if somebody looks up your handicap and reviews the scores/differentials, it's pretty obvious what's going on. Handicaps don't go up nearly as fast as they go down.
Do we need to be concerned about @PiratePenguin here :)

The soft cap is designed to nerf the dbag sandbagger.
If all golfers were honest, the soft cap would be idiotic by design.

Sadly, these systems tend to focus far more on those who cheat than those who are honest. And I say that knowing what the implications of it being the other way around would be.

The soft cap is designed to nerf the dbag sandbagger.
If all golfers were honest, the soft cap would be idiotic by design.

Sadly, these systems tend to focus far more on those who cheat than those who are honest. And I say that knowing what the implications of it being the other way around would be.
What do you think reasonable movement is on a handicap in say 6 months with normal playing? Asking genuinely here, because it seems like 3 would be really hard, but I know you were there. I also think it penalizes the better golfer a bit more since the game is hard.

In season, I agree that this shift would be significant, especially considering the shift in the score counting.

A fresh season for a golfer who has an off-season, I think it's quite a lot easier. Still not incredibly common, but certainly easier.

What do you think reasonable movement is on a handicap in say 6 months with normal playing? Asking genuinely here, because it seems like 3 would be really hard, but I know you were there. I also think it penalizes the better golfer a bit more since the game is hard.
I sort of addressed it in my last post (while you posted this), but;

1- There has to be some sort of shift in the 3 value for all handicaps. Going from a +3 to 0 vs going from a 19 to a 22 is nowhere close to the same conversation.
2- I mostly support an in season soft cap if all scores are from the same calendar year that are being applied.
3- Course consideration should be worth exploring. A 20 cap with a wild driver playing water lined or tree lined vs open is going to be notably different score to score.

In season, I agree that this shift would be significant, especially considering the shift in the score counting.

A fresh season for a golfer who has an off-season, I think it's quite a lot easier. Still not incredibly common, but certainly easier.
Thanks. I was speaking to a friend of mine today that swears with the new system in place, its nearly impossible to get soft capped if you have year round golf. I explained that a few THPers were seeing that. It has not happened to me, but I saw it with you previously, someone else on here and now @PiratePenguin so obviously its possible as I dont think anybody would sandbag for an Experience. At least we hope not, although it has happened in the past, it is so rare.

I know Pirate said injury and swing change will do it, I would imagine it would rather easily under the old system, but the new one makes that harder, right?

Back