TEASER The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf will Return in 2024

Maybe. I would say half the team this year for Callaway hadn’t played the Hideaway.

Handicaps are often made by playing the same course over and over for THPers. It nearly never holds up that way.
It’s so hard to build a handicap that travels when you play the same course all the time. You know every little nuance of your home course. At a new course even the grass can make huge differences

I agree. I was just suggesting possibly a shorter time between. That's all.
I completely understand.
I know you took place in an event this year that had pre release equipment and golf ball by quite a while. When you finally added thoughts (if you have) i’m sure it was a cool feeling knowing how early you were involved.

You are correct. I think I'm not expressing myself well. What I'm saying is I follow the Grandaddy and I get pumped for the new driver and things the Grandaddy players get to see and play. But then after the event it slows until the actual release. I'm just wishing I could keep my excitement up as high as it is during and just after the Grandaddy. It's there later, just not as high as it is during the event. Then it gets high again right before the release. Hope that makes sense.
I think it makes sense. But I also think it's a lot to ask of Callaway to move this event closer to the release of equipment. They are already insanely busy at the time it is and would be even more swamped the closer to release it got. That wouldn't be fair to ask of them.

I think it makes sense. But I also think it's a lot to ask of Callaway to move this event closer to the release of equipment. They are already insanely busy at the time it is and would be even more swamped the closer to release it got. That wouldn't be fair to ask of them.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

As an avid follower of the GD, I'm always blown away by how much access THP'ers get to seeing the inner workings of a major OEM, getting treated like the pro staffers and talking with the people who design the clubs is always crazy to think about.

Then you get to go play an exclusive course & everything that goes with.

I don't think any changes would diminish the actual experience.

Callaway does a great job with THP for this event and others. I would never want to jeopardize that in any way. We were just commenting on things that might happen...not what needs to happen or should happen.

I'm curious if past participants think the unfamiliar course or the new to you clubs is the harder obstacle to overcome.

What percentage of Team Callaway's bag is typically the new lineups?
As a past participant I don’t subscribe to the new clubs or new course excuse. I’m not saying it’s not a factor, but for me it’s really low on the list of why I may or may not have performed well. Others might be more sensitive to those elements but for me it was calming myself down and trying to bring my emotions in check because it was a life experience that simply blows any other golf experience away.

I think the pre-release equipment and underdog nature of Team THP are a lot of the charm of the Grandaddy. I know this thing isn’t getting worse so I am not worried about that. I am keenly interested in seeing how it gets better though. I’ve seen so many THP’ers blessed with this trip I hope it never stops.

I'd simply just love it if the grandaddy was closer to actual release dates if at all possible. Bottom line is that I love a lot of Callaway stuff. Specifically drivers, woods, the uw's are my absolute favorite. Then wedges, putters and the older Apex irons. I follow along with the grandaddy and then just wish I knew what specific clubs everyone is talking about. I'm curious and even anxious for the new releases at the end of a canteens year. But we seem to just get a lot of "you guys are going love these clubs when they come out" well.... my mind gets lost in, what clubs? What irons? What's new? By the time they come out and can talk about them, the hype, curiosity and even anxious anticipation has subsided a little.
Honestly think the timing is good with driver, fairway, and irons (sometimes) at the time of the event it works well. Callaway has staggered releases so it’s hard to time it perfectly.

I'd simply just love it if the grandaddy was closer to actual release dates if at all possible. Bottom line is that I love a lot of Callaway stuff. Specifically drivers, woods, the uw's are my absolute favorite. Then wedges, putters and the older Apex irons. I follow along with the grandaddy and then just wish I knew what specific clubs everyone is talking about. I'm curious and even anxious for the new releases at the end of a canteens year. But we seem to just get a lot of "you guys are going love these clubs when they come out" well.... my mind gets lost in, what clubs? What irons? What's new? By the time they come out and can talk about them, the hype, curiosity and even anxious anticipation has subsided a little.
#redacted.... part of what makes it all great!

I'm curious if past participants think the unfamiliar course or the new to you clubs is the harder obstacle to overcome.

Definitely a combo of everything. You’re in the golf capital of the world getting fit by the professionals that fit the likes of Rahm, Xander and more. Followed by a incredible bus ride to the desert to meet outstanding hosts and play a absolutely pristinely manicured course playing against the folks who know every detail of those clubs. It’s a lot to take in in that very moment all week.

Callaway does a great job with THP for this event and others. I would never want to jeopardize that in any way. We were just commenting on things that might happen...not what needs to happen or should happen.
I don’t think your suggestion was a bad thing. Discussion is fun! And my answers were more just information for those following along that might not be chiming in as much as it was for those that are discussing what the changes might be! All I know is I’m as excited as anyone to hear what’s happening next week!

I think the unfamiliar course & the surreal nature of the experience are a bigger obstacle than the new clubs.
This...
Handicaps are often made by playing the same course over and over for THPers. It nearly never holds up that way.
and a whole lot of this.

Only other thing I'd add is a lack of competitive rounds for most. Not often do you as a 13-14 handicap challenge a 5 or 6 handicap to a heads up match to put yourself into the pressure cooker so to speak. (For me personally, I'd never played a singles match prior to my singles match against AJ)

I would say adjusting to the new clubs is the bigger obstacle.

Having played the courses now, I would do a few things differently, but adjusting to new clubs was a bigger factor for me.

I had similar thoughts to others saying mixing up the teams or bringing back a captain

Ultimately though, I bet it’s something that hasn’t been guessed 🙃

Maybe Team THP will get 1 mulligan per person per day. 😂😂

Changing something to speed up play is probably even money. 😆

I like the idea of mixing up THPers and Callaway. 9 out of 10 have been Callaway victories, with mostly landslides. Something has to give.

While it’s never really about the competition, the blowout losses are a little disheartening. Evening up the playing field can only lead to a more enjoyable experience. I also think some intra-Callaway rivalries could lead to some excitement.
Wish we could have made last year’s closer. We weren’t able to close out the matches the way we needed.

I’m competitive as anyone. Losing and getting blown out is not what the plan was. Everyone tells you it’s not about the competition and I didn’t fully understand that until the event was over. The experience, team bonding, meeting and getting to know the Callaway team have so much more meaning. While I like the THP vs Callaway aspect, I’m excited for finding out what’s next.

It’s the whole week. Everything is happening at a million miles an hour and you can’t even find time to stop smiling. The sheer scope of what is happening around you makes playing golf just a bit harder.
Plus there’s so much pressure.
You want to win, you want to win for your team and the community, you want the live thread to go bonkers with content, you want the GD to return, you want to review the clubs properly, you want the experience to be worth the investment, and you want everyone around you to enjoy every ******* minute because it is the absolute most amazing amateur experience in golf.
It’s, a lot. But it’s life changing.

Just landed in Cleveland. Chat still going on speculation.. love it. Lol

As a past participant I don’t subscribe to the new clubs or new course excuse. I’m not saying it’s not a factor, but for me it’s really low on the list of why I may or may not have performed well. Others might be more sensitive to those elements but for me it was calming myself down and trying to bring my emotions in check because it was a life experience that simply blows any other golf experience away.
Yea I agree here. I think it’s easy to forget your in a match and by the time you realize it, your down a couple holes and only playing 9 hole matches makes that tough. I played well when I went and I am happy with my 2-2 record haha

And having gone a second time a few years later as ass cap, there were changes made compared to my first time. Change is good and change is a sign of longevity with this event.

I got beat by someone who didn’t have their clubs so they grabbed the demo set that was being used for the release day photo shoot as we were leaving Callaway HQ lol I’ve also seen prototypes that just got created and weren’t set for release for another 6 months. These guys love new equipment just as much as we do and it changes frequently

Back