TEASER The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf will Return in 2024

As a past participant I don’t subscribe to the new clubs or new course excuse. I’m not saying it’s not a factor, but for me it’s really low on the list of why I may or may not have performed well. Others might be more sensitive to those elements but for me it was calming myself down and trying to bring my emotions in check because it was a life experience that simply blows any other golf experience away.
Yep. I got too hyped for the competition and wanting to play well and everything else and melted down completely.

I had similar thoughts to others saying mixing up the teams or bringing back a captain

Ultimately though, I bet it’s something that hasn’t been guessed 🙃

Maybe Team THP will get 1 mulligan per person per day. 😂😂
One mulligan per ReNest

Things I would add, to throw another layer in? Ball fitting as a 4th station at ECPC.

That was maybe the one thing I had the biggest question mark about with the new lineup, just what ball I should be choosing. Which would be recommended for me based on my swings.

I'm curious if past participants think the unfamiliar course or the new to you clubs is the harder obstacle to overcome.

What percentage of Team Callaway's bag is typically the new lineups?
For me it was the course. They were stunningly beautiful but they were a real challenge.
Also as @mtbloco pointed out the event is overwhelming at times.
The clubs were the exact opposite. They helped a ton.

Things I would add, to throw another layer in? Ball fitting as a 4th station at ECPC.

That was maybe the one thing I had the biggest question mark about with the new lineup, just what ball I should be choosing. Which would be recommended for me based on my swings.
Oooh. This would be fun. I’m sure there are time constraints but wow.

I will say, the extra time around Vrska, and around AT, in more casual settings before the official start of the event were really fun!

Also, more queso at this year's Grandaddy!

I love that idea. I don’t know if there is time for it, but it’s a great idea.

I'm curious if past participants think the unfamiliar course or the new to you clubs is the harder obstacle to overcome.
Legitimately, I didn't think the unfamiliar course, or the new clubs were the harder obstacle...... a big key, was figuring out a yardage at fitting, and running with that on the course to make things a bit easier.

I thought the biggest thing to overcome about being at the Hideaway, was the overall surroundings. Trying to take it all in, the beauty of it, navigating around the course, trying not to lose the group between holes (because there are no direction markers anywhere lol), updating the forum, having fun.... trying to find the balance between competition, having fun, and being a visitor.

Fittings need to go quicker lol that might make things worse

Fittings need to go quicker lol that might make things worse
Yeah, I realize that. Everything always needs to go quicker to fit it all in.

In a perfect world, where we could add something without a time issue, that would have been my choice.

As a past participant I don’t subscribe to the new clubs or new course excuse. I’m not saying it’s not a factor, but for me it’s really low on the list of why I may or may not have performed well. Others might be more sensitive to those elements but for me it was calming myself down and trying to bring my emotions in check because it was a life experience that simply blows any other golf experience away.
I was a little worried I would be overwhelmed with everything you mentioned, but I am handled it pretty well. I didn’t play any better or worse than I would in normal competitive situations. I didn’t play well on the second day, but played through the bad play and deficit and hangover to claw back into it for a tie.

A big challenge for me was feeling comfortable with new clubs in pressure moments. That was very real for me.

Yeah, I realize that. Everything always needs to go quicker to fit it all in.

In a perfect world, where we could add something without a time issue, that would have been my choice.
Also a big piece of it is when we have been given blank box balls, it’s ok for it not to fit you perfectly. A huge part of what we do as thpers with the grandaddy is review the gear. So having a bunch of different swings playing a new ball and fill that thread on release day is part of why companies do things like this in the first place.

Team THP often gets to play the new lineup even before the Callaway people do.

I think the unfamiliar course & the surreal nature of the experience are a bigger obstacle than the new clubs.
Hmm... I was gonna say "what if team Callaway isn't allowed to use the new gear" as the way to make it more even, but this changes that thinking. (Glad I didn't post before catching up fully)

I was a little worried I would be overwhelmed with everything you mentioned, but I am handled it pretty well. I didn’t play any better or worse than I would in normal competitive situations. I didn’t play well on the second day, but played through the bad play and deficit and hangover to claw back into it for a tie.

A big challenge for me was feeling comfortable with new clubs in pressure moments. That was very real for me.
The hangovers are real! Lol

A huge hurdle to remember as well, how little sleep you are running on.

I figure from the day I left my house, to the day I got back, I had something like 17 hours of sleep total over the 6 days. I was an absolute zombie by the end.
The excitement and anticipation of everything affected me in ways I never would have imagined.

Share it.
Everybody should share their predictions.
Fun convo today.

My guess to add a little mystery the pairings will be a blind draw for Callaway. So the THP Captain and Ass Cap will pull names out of a hat per se from Callaway for both the team play and singles.

It’s the whole week. Everything is happening at a million miles an hour and you can’t even find time to stop smiling. The sheer scope of what is happening around you makes playing golf just a bit harder.
Plus there’s so much pressure.
You want to win, you want to win for your team and the community, you want the live thread to go bonkers with content, you want the GD to return, you want to review the clubs properly, you want the experience to be worth the investment, and you want everyone around you to enjoy every ******* minute because it is the absolute most amazing amateur experience in golf.
It’s, a lot. But it’s life changing.
@xThor sums it up so well here.

It's dizzying how everything comes at you nonstop from the time you get there until the time it's done, and you're amazed and wanting to soak every minute of it in. If you haven't played actual competitive golf before, you're now doing it...against Team Callaway, in formats you may have never played, on courses you've never seen before, which are blowing you away with their absolute beauty, with equipment you've never played before, while taking pictures and posting to keep THP updated as you're playing, while engaging with Team Callaway and your teammates and trying to win, for both your team and the THP community, and trying to maintain some semblance of a decent pace of play. All while functioning on pretty minimal sleep because you don't want to go to bed and miss a minute of anything, and you're so pumped up from all the awesomeness all around you that you couldn't sleep even if you wanted to. And doing your best to soak up knowledge like a sponge the whole time because you're getting it straight from some of the greatest minds in the industry. As @JDax called it, surreal.

Oh, and then there's the Malört, too. :ROFLMAO:

It is a lot. It's also a lot that you'll never get to experience again, and it's a lot in the best way possible. It isn't any one part of it, it's the sum of all of it together. The people (your teammates, the Callaway crew, @JB and THP, the amazing hosts at The Hideaway), the equipment, the swag, the courses, the golf, the food, the never-ending kindness and generosity you're shown. @xThor doesn't exaggerate when he calls it life changing. I've played golf for a lot of years, a lot of rounds on a lot of courses with a lot of people, but the Grandaddy will always be my fondest and most amazing golf memory.

I will say, the extra time around Vrska, and around AT, in more casual settings before the official start of the event were really fun!

Also, more queso at this year's Grandaddy!
I wonder if next year @JohnnyCallaway wins is money back on the O/U on fajitas.

Just catching on the fun discussion today.
My prediction is we have a Callaway member as Captain of both teams with some mixing of THP members and Callaway members. Still hosted at the Hideaway.
I feel like this is probably where it’s trending. What I was thinking is rather than Callaway captaining both teams or fully mixing the teams (you then sort of lose the Callaway vs THP dynamic), maybe Team THP gets to draft (or perhaps random draw) 1 or 2 Callaway members into Team THP.

If the logistics could work out, this would be such a cool addition to fitting day. With how good the ball release has been this year and a lot of us doing our own testing with the CS/CT/CTX, would be pretty cool to add that with the help of the Callaway fitters.

Getting a huge release day bunch of info and first impressions doesn't get you pumped about the gear? I think the experience for the team to get these presentations and that information a bit ahead of time is helpful to everyone. It turns in to an absolutely special thing for the guys to be learning about it before anyone else, but it also gives them time to formulate actual thoughts and well thought out impressions when the embargo is up instead of just saying how cool the stuff is or like you said, "you'll love it"
As a spectator, and on the equipment side of the Grandaddy, I think the [redacted] is a huge part of it. And knowing that when you get fit and play the clubs, there's only a handful of people who've done it before.

And the time period between the GD and release day only adds up to the exitement. I absolutely loved how the '23 team had well prepared thoughts and notes on the gear ready to go. It was exiting to finally read your thoughts on the gear, remembering your glowing initial teasers.

Everything else about the event is quite mind blowing every time you stop and think about it. I have absolutely no doubt that any change would be for anything else than even better.

I sincerely hope that the Grandaddy continues for a long time and that's where the equipment talk before, during and after the release must be a big factor. Where else can you find normal golfers' experience and thoughts on just released gear?

Back