The Home Renovation Thread

If you can get a picture of the wall from the ground level as well as a picture inside the attic that will be a good enough to tell if it's LB.

A few things to take into consideration if it's an interior partition wall is the location of the LB wall in relation to what is surrounding it
I will see what I can do dude. Thanks a ton.

We have some pretty incredible construction guys here on THP, so I bring up a topic to you, load bearing wall removal. Thoughts? Keys? Cost? How big is too big?
From what I've seen ANYTHING is possible with enough money thrown at it, but typically any LB wall can be deleted with the addition of a large expensive beam and some posts.
With any wall removal you may have to deal with re-routing any plumbing, HVAC, or electrical that may be in the wall as well.

Posted these in Pic of Your Day thread yesterday. M came out very nice and the crew did a very good job.
22b051bce4a9168e5d49c3d9a99f53eb_zpsle05usno.jpg

4ad6ae5df7f710051121c72811bfb260_zpseanyoub0.jpg

a27e3d56d22c7d88dd2b110f7b6c570d_zpsseff0xlr.jpg

279b783818104d1a44bc6916c98ba5c7_zpsy1pvxqr5.jpg

Nothing like a bathroom remodeling project on rainy Saturday. Tore out the tub and all the walls and now to replace the subfloor where the leak was. FUN!

Not really but the ugly tile had to go!

a3d3d8d2ed4fd124f94cb78a664adb65.jpg

63dd588684b3e92558b3181d040c3dd6.jpg

Well, we bought the house on 10 acres straight out of 1987 lol.

Its going to need a LOT of work, but, its something we can make ours over the next 3 or 4 years.

We don't take possession until 10/10, but, now I get to start having contractors come out to give me estimates about what we are wanting to do in the living/kitchen/dining. There is one wall in particular we really want/need to go, and then its a massively (for a 2600 sq/ft house) open space where we can put in one heck of a kitchen. Its going to cost a ton, I know, especially if the wall IS load bearing, but, its definitely an investment for our future. The rest of the house other than bathrooms, I know I can do (tile, texture, trim, paint, etc) as I was taught much of it at an early age, plus those rooms don't need much. The main living area though, I know we need help there.

Thank god we don'y have to put anything down so we can start it immediately rather than later, thats huge potentially. I do wish I knew more people around here that build/renovate, but we are 100% going to do our homework on this one.

Congrats JMan, making it yours will be the fun part, despite the ups and downs of it all.

Congrats on the house brother!!

Well, we bought the house on 10 acres straight out of 1987 lol.

Its going to need a LOT of work, but, its something we can make ours over the next 3 or 4 years.

We don't take possession until 10/10, but, now I get to start having contractors come out to give me estimates about what we are wanting to do in the living/kitchen/dining. There is one wall in particular we really want/need to go, and then its a massively (for a 2600 sq/ft house) open space where we can put in one heck of a kitchen. Its going to cost a ton, I know, especially if the wall IS load bearing, but, its definitely an investment for our future. The rest of the house other than bathrooms, I know I can do (tile, texture, trim, paint, etc) as I was taught much of it at an early age, plus those rooms don't need much. The main living area though, I know we need help there.

Thank god we don'y have to put anything down so we can start it immediately rather than later, thats huge potentially. I do wish I knew more people around here that build/renovate, but we are 100% going to do our homework on this one.

Sweat equity is good equity

Congrats Jman. I missed it yesterday in all my craziness the last few days.

I need this in my next house. Secret passages Webster style (sadly most won't get that reference).

39737a5e0925c6a99813516d2216c2dd.jpg

cb6585afb5a38562a9dd65c82bf55c61.jpg

That leads to the guest area with bedroom and entrance to pool

f68a266c02e753c76f177bec1d40a025.jpg

29ff394b80241677bf526f22bbeaeccd.jpg

And then this house had a cool panic room

ef442c1721fd8dd5e46f62174c37b450.jpg

00ebed8e01b907d0e44767b6f0ff4e5f.jpg

6e57f0aa2acce5459e7e40a13d2d439e.jpg

fbdf4ebd04ffd8aa230c060dbdd93a84.jpg

Congrats James!!! Glad it worked out and the work you put in will make it worth it!!!

Damn right dude.

I appreciate that a ton, thank you!

First things first. Every job deserves a new tool.

And when in doubt buy another tool.

With tools you get what you pay for.

Words to live by.

I thought the whole point of doing Reno's was to buy tools.
I've been loading up on the cool cordless/hoseless stuff for around the house and it's worth every penny.

Congrats james! Looks like you should have the makings of a nice practice area!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

James, if my time at this job has taught me anything, it's where there's a will, there is a way to get rid of that load bearing wall. Congrats buddy!

Phase 1 completed, shower was this ugliness...
4f02983b121702e9e52a43c335cf58fa.jpg

To this...
22aae7278eb69bc0bed5f2558af9ad0a.jpg

Floor and vanities are next.

Love the soap dish. Can I ask why you went large tiles on the side and bottom rather than the same as the back (in soap dish)? I see a lot do it that way and always wondered why?

Love the soap dish. Can I ask why you went large tiles on the side and bottom rather than the same as the back (in soap dish)? I see a lot do it that way and always wondered why?

FWIW when I do bathrooms I usually only use the accent tile for the back wall in the niche. Blends in the shower and gives it a nice touch IMO. Or if there is no accent tile on the walls, we put the tile that is used for the shower floor for the accent in the niche. Kind of ties it all in I think.

FWIW when I do bathrooms I usually only use the accent tile for the back wall in the niche. Blends in the shower and gives it a nice touch IMO. Or if there is no accent tile on the walls, we put the tile that is used for the shower floor for the accent in the niche. Kind of ties it all in I think.

Okay. That makes perfect sense.

Thanks! The small tiles are for accents only. Doing a whole shower that way would look weird see first picture LOL plus they are super expensive at like $12/Sq ft, where the larger tiles take up more space per piece which equals less tiles to put up and are about $10/Sq ft cheaper, plus much easier to clean.

Edit: I just realized you were only talking about the soap dish tiles, but X.man explained it perfectly.

Thanks guys. It looks fantastic. Good job jd.

I did mine the same way, mostly because of what El Bearded Hombre said, but I would also think the listello would be harder to stand small soap bottles on without falling over.

So, Amanda now thinks she wants two dishwashers.

This confuses me. Anyone heard of this before?

I fear she may be planning on having a gaggle of kids.

Back