The Home Renovation Thread

I seee what you mean. How far are you willing to travel?

Most HD's say "limited stock" which in my experience means "none." But the Latham, NY store claims they have 7 in stock. Latham is about 10 miles north of Albany, just off the Interstate. IIRC you are in or around Toms River. That's roughly 220 miles one way via the GSP and Thruway. I've been crazy enough to drive 200 miles for something I;ve wanted. so I'm just throwing it out there.
Good memory! but yeah traveling that far is out especially for that particular one (a friend had it and it was crap). I'll check inventory for the one I'm after for random zip codes and maybe HD will transfer them between stores.. right now they're all unavailable and can only get a notification if/when in stock

Thanks though

We actually have a wine fridge in the tech studio bar, so no. We are also not really drinkers, so it’s more for show haha.
I’m down here in Hendersonville and there is a “THP” WiFi network, what’s the password @JB? 😂

Bathroom is finally done. Kitchen ceiling not yet from the leak I caused. 😂

Before
B343C195-5E03-4F75-B98A-C01EF791AE34.jpeg

After
4B1E8407-993C-4D55-A190-96D161C683A3.jpegA9304B97-06FD-43D1-B009-684F6FFB0002.jpeg
19D6B727-B3D0-4B86-B733-9DF3BCDCF487.jpegB228405D-E2D0-4AEB-93C1-CE8B2A80C5E0.jpeg

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel after spending every free minute working on the basement. Installed ledger stone under bar and wrapped it all the way under TV wall. Hard work on my back but worth it for the look. Beetle kill pine boards will go above stone with as much blue/gray staining as I can pick out.

Attachments

• 0512210940a.jpg
    0512210940a.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 20
  • 0512210940.jpg
    0512210940.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 20
I came home last week to my wife demo'ing our master bath, unannounced.

So that was nice.

She also bought a new tub, dual sink vanity, toilet and lighting. I guess she's (we're) all in now.

Finally committed to our hvac project. Despite getting a number of quotes, even from a couple highly rated people, not one (until the last one) told me that doing 2 zone on a single stage furnace is a big no no

Then I did my research, confirmed what they said, and had to restart quotes. One quote came with a carrier 80k but furnace, and the other a 100k Btu goodman, both 96% efficiency 2 stage variable speed. Opted for the goodman with the easier and cheaper parts and labor, since the company offering carrier kind of has a monopoly on them in the area.

I wish this was advised to me early on cuz now we will be having hvac work likely just after the baby arrives.. not exactly the best timing to be without a system :mad:

Spent a big portion of the first week of fatherhood knocking out some projects, including a butt ton of planting and landscaping
20210603_133734.jpg
Going to get a little sign of something making that Olivia's garden

And about 20 hostas planted, another 15 to go in the backyard under a couple trees

I figure I can use my 3 month leave to do inside projects lol

I was going to build my garage addition this summer but that project went from 30K to 60K..... so I am putting that off until the prices come down. I decided to remodel my kitchen instead. 2 weeks before my youngest son's graduation party. Got it all done except for the leggari stone countertop finish and a couple of cabinets that were back ordered. I'll post pics of the finished product. If anyone wants to go down a really cool rabbit hole. Watch this video.

Not exactly a home renovation project (I hope!) but figured I'd post here for some advice.

I currently have a work from home office set up in the bonus room above our garage. It's a fully finished room, but the only problem is that the temperature control is pretty bad either due to insulation or the HVAC system, so it's cold in the Winter and hot in the Summer. I'll probably get an HVAC company to check it out at some point, but as a temporary fix I'm hoping to set a box fan in the open doorway to pull in cooler air from the hall. Is that the right move or should I flip it to push the warm air out of the room?

Not exactly a home renovation project (I hope!) but figured I'd post here for some advice.

I currently have a work from home office set up in the bonus room above our garage. It's a fully finished room, but the only problem is that the temperature control is pretty bad either due to insulation or the HVAC system, so it's cold in the Winter and hot in the Summer. I'll probably get an HVAC company to check it out at some point, but as a temporary fix I'm hoping to set a box fan in the open doorway to pull in cooler air from the hall. Is that the right move or should I flip it to push the warm air out of the room?
I'm not an HVAC guy but my opinion is that if you place a box fan on the floor and point it into the room, that should draw cool air in and theoretically push the hot air out over the top. As heat rises. I'm not sure how effective it's going to be but that's what I would do. Otherwise get a split HVAC unit for that space.

At work, when our server closet gets hot, they stick a fan in the doorway pointing out and blowing the heat into the hallway.

I'd point the fan into the room pulling cooler air from the hallway.. And then get a smaller desk fan for closer to you.

OR, if you're able to, close some of the registers in rooms you're not using... that should give you more cool air for that room. That, along with those 2 fans could help.

Or a window unit if you have a window to place it in.

Rooms above garages are tough. I have one as a bedroom and it is consistently hotter/colder than the rest of the upstairs by several degrees.

Have fought 2 years with Allstate to replace my roof! Enough! Have watched 5 roofs within a stone's throw get replaced.

Just closed on refinance with a chunk of money out and still saving money with new company insurance premiums monthly.

Four bids in process and narrowed down to two. Appt next week with partner company of one to rework ventilation. Then make decision on who to go with.

Tera decided on Kitchen remodel. Lovely.

Picked backsplash, counter, and still need sink to be picked out.

Went to measure for backsplash and I always felt the two different sides of the kitchen were different. Come to find out the mounted the cabinets on one side an inch lower...wth!

Well, decided to remedy that quickly and while cabinets were down she decided she want under cabinet lights on a switch!

Microwave wasn't secured properly so added support for the inch raise while I was at it.
20210610_151613.jpg
The cabinets are Cherry and hoping the lighter backsplash and counter will take away some orange. Otherwise redoing the cabinets. 😜

We also have a bar hight peninsula on the other side that she wants taken down. Countertop will still be same size but all one level.

Drywall going back up tomorrow and demo of bar height and other backsplash area to commence. Need to get that done before they come out to measure.

Flooring is next on main floor as a roof bid that meets my expectations comes in lower. A friend of Tera's coworkers, we will see how that goes. She is adament about me not doing the roof myself. She is probably correct.

What she doesn't get is that I could be playing golf! Maybe she does get it and knows I shouldn't be going full tilt yet 8 months after ACL. Dam It...my little boy in me wants too!

Last edited:
Have fought 2 years with Allstate to replace my roof! Enough! Have watched 5 roofs within a stone's throw get replaced.

Just closed on refinance with a chunk of money out and still saving money with new company insurance premiums monthly.

Four bids in process and narrowed down to two. Appt next week with partner company of one to rework ventilation. Then make decision on who to go with.

Tera decided on Kitchen remodel. Lovely.

Picked backsplash, counter, and still need sink to be picked out.

Went to measure for backsplash and I always felt the two different sides of the kitchen were different. Come to find out the mounted the cabinets on one side an inch lower...wth!

Well, decided to remedy that quickly and while cabinets were down she decided she want under cabinet lights on a switch!

Microwave wasn't secured properly so added support for the inch raise while I was at it.
View attachment 9012482
The cabinets are Cherry and hoping the lighter backsplash and counter will take away some orange. Otherwise redoing the cabinets. 😜

We also have a bar hight peninsula on the other side that she wants taken down. Countertop will still be same size but all one level.

Drywall going back up tomorrow and demo of bar height and other backsplash area to commence. Need to get that done before they come out to measure.

Flooring is next on main floor as a roof bid that meets my expectations comes in lower. A friend of Tera's coworkers, we will see how that goes. She is adament about me not doing the roof myself. She is probably correct.

What she doesn't get is that I could be playing golf! Maybe she does get it and knows I shouldn't be going full tilt yet 8 months after ACL. Dam It...my little boy in me wants too!
Do those kitchen cabinets get any direct sun?
Your better half is right. You’re too old to be crawling on the roof.

• Appreciation
Reactions: J4U
Do those kitchen cabinets get any direct sun?
Your better half is right. You’re too old to be crawling on the roof.
No direct sun on the cabinets. They are about 20 years old though. The better half is always right is the way it works I think 🤔

No direct sun on the cabinets. They are about 20 years old though. The better half is always right is the way it works I think 🤔

Sounds like it will be great. We are looking at enlarging our kitchen, relocating a powder room, adding a first floor laundry and closet (!?), and adding a more practical all-purpose type room. We figure if we do it right, we will be able to age in place in a neighborhood and on a lot we really like.

I tell my wife she was wrong once in our 40"years. She thought she was wrong, but she wasn't.

• Appreciation
Reactions: J4U
Progress and raising the cabinets up where they should be makes a big difference. had to notch out the top back about 3/4" so they would fit. Lazy builders! Will have to take down right cabinet again to texture and float to bullnose corner above where backsplash won't be.
20210611_130118.jpg
Not doing the mosaic, just using it so that we get all the colors to pick countertop. Doing 3X5 Monterrey of same tile though
Screenshot_20210611-131110_Messages.jpg

Need to get everything back in cabinets to start on other side.

Last edited:
Update on the Leggari Stone poured countertops/kitchen remodel project.

Attachments

• PXL_20210612_214327341.jpg
    PXL_20210612_214327341.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210612_214330253.jpg
    PXL_20210612_214330253.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210612_214333103.jpg
    PXL_20210612_214333103.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210613_162156365.jpg
    PXL_20210613_162156365.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210613_114033149.jpg
    PXL_20210613_114033149.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210613_114047854.jpg
    PXL_20210613_114047854.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 14
Well, after a couple unsuccessful attempts to fix the leak on the floor base, we had to switch to a schluter floor. Cost an extra 1000, but came out really nice.

69123171-D0B0-4FD8-B11D-EEA8F55574DB.jpeg
BFBE0933-CC29-4369-A8A4-3E97B7F15694.jpeg

Crappy cabinets originally ordered in February before being cancelled a few times are finally installed. They’re not perfect, but neither am I. Laundry room is looking better already!
EBB16FA3-2715-43CA-8021-F42ADC6E1EF5.jpeg

Handyman came by and he decided we needed to slide the shed off the papers, redo them since it was pebble under and not crushed gravel, remove all the pebble and just put the papers back on dirt, which I'm not fond of but whatever.

We do it all and get if back on and the doors still won't line up. Look around, push walls, etc, and there's this one cross beam that connects the left and right roofs basically, and he says ok let's lose this and see.. take it off and boom it instantly sits right.. turned out I installed it to the hole in the center of the 2 beams (fuk those stupid little pictures they put in the booklet, can distinguish anything), instead of the edge holes that were like 2" away.

Now it has my wheels turning if I in fact was "level enough" and if I just took off that cross beam if I could have saved the $300... eh well at least it's done
20210719_203049.jpg

Now I gotta move all the lawn crap out of the garage and into there

Crappy cabinets originally ordered in February before being cancelled a few times are finally installed. They’re not perfect, but neither am I. Laundry room is looking better already!
View attachment 9016665
Is that what you're referring to for the hardware? Haha they look pretty good though, it's a laundry so no one's really going in there anyways

Handyman came by and he decided we needed to slide the shed off the papers, redo them since it was pebble under and not crushed gravel, remove all the pebble and just put the papers back on dirt, which I'm not fond of but whatever.

We do it all and get if back on and the doors still won't line up. Look around, push walls, etc, and there's this one cross beam that connects the left and right roofs basically, and he says ok let's lose this and see.. take it off and boom it instantly sits right.. turned out I installed it to the hole in the center of the 2 beams (fuk those stupid little pictures they put in the booklet, can distinguish anything), instead of the edge holes that were like 2" away.

Now it has my wheels turning if I in fact was "level enough" and if I just took off that cross beam if I could have saved the $300... eh well at least it's done
View attachment 9017541

Now I gotta move all the lawn crap out of the garage and into there

Is that what you're referring to for the hardware? Haha they look pretty good though, it's a laundry so no one's really going in there anyways
Looks good! Having a shed is a game changer, but it’s both shocking and disappointing how quickly you fill that extra space 😆

Yup, that’s what I was talking about with the hardware. They’re just crap cabinets so I want to get something on there, but if not it won’t be the end of the world.

So a question for electrical/major appliance/HVAC experts.

I ranted today about the loss of our 6 year old refrigerator. Of course, I'm looking for someone/something to blame and I keep coming back to our frequent power outages around here, ranging from less than a second to hours, and the relatively short lives of our refrigerators and large window AC units. So I looked into surge protectors for ACs and refrigerators, and kept reading that I need a surge protector with a built-in delay timer that allows the compressor to depressurize before restarting. It kinda makes sense to me, but it's not my area of expertise. Something like this:

Is this a valid argument, that I should have this kind of surge protection for these units?

If so, are there preferred brands?

The way I look at it, I lost $3k of refrigerator and window AC this year, so a price of even $150/circuit wouldn't seem unreasonable at this point if it worked. Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Back