The Home Renovation Thread

Laundry room cabinets are on their way to Home Depot. I’ll make the drive if they’re going to charge $90 for shipping. Already have eyes on the next project. Either master closet organizer or converting laundry room closet into a little mud room thing.
Closet organizers are the best thing my wife and I have done ourselves in the house.

We have installed closet organizers in each bedroom and the amount of additional hanging and shoe spaces are perfect. Plus, the closet becomes more professional looking which surprisingly made us both happy.

They are so worth the 100 or so expense.

Tiling is super annoying. Wish it ended flush with the sink too but Is what it is

20210214_132915.jpg

Why not put a schluder or something to cap it so its level?
Hmmm good idea, I'll see what I can find and hopefully can be added on even after this is set

Laundry room cabinets are on their way to Home Depot. I’ll make the drive if they’re going to charge $90 for shipping. Already have eyes on the next project. Either master closet organizer or converting laundry room closet into a little mud room thing.

The laundry room is something I am eyeing for our next project too. That and one of the guest bathrooms and half bathroom. I have wanted to do navy blue cabinets somewhere in the house and talked myself out of doing them in our master bath, so I am strongly considering it for the half bath and/or the laundry room. The problem is the laundry room is kind of small so I am a little worried dark cabinets might not look good. This is kind of what I have in mind, but not exactly.

5605610B-051F-4A38-BA1D-F5E07C779382.jpeg

The laundry room is something I am eyeing for our next project too. That and one of the guest bathrooms and half bathroom. I have wanted to do navy blue cabinets somewhere in the house and talked myself out of doing them in our master bath, so I am strongly considering it for the half bath and/or the laundry room. The problem is the laundry room is kind of small so I am a little worried dark cabinets might not look good. This is kind of what I have in mind, but not exactly.

View attachment 8993426
Minus the farmhouse sink, that is my wife’s dream laundry room! We have a decision to make in a few years if we stay in this house and laundry is one of them. Ours is in the entryway from the garage into the living room and it’s just wide enough for the washer and dryer. We’d likely move laundry to the second floor and add a big master bath if we stayed (or just move and get everything we want in a new house).

Minus the farmhouse sink, that is my wife’s dream laundry room! We have a decision to make in a few years if we stay in this house and laundry is one of them. Ours is in the entryway from the garage into the living room and it’s just wide enough for the washer and dryer. We’d likely move laundry to the second floor and add a big master bath if we stayed (or just move and get everything we want in a new house).

Yeah, I am not into the farmhouse sink either, I just like the cabinets and floor. Our laundry room is just poorly laid out. I think the space could be much better utilized, and the cabinets are so old, I hate them. I am mad we spent the money to have them painted, we should have known painting old cabinets doesn’t change the fact that they are still ugly old cabinets, now they are just white instead of cherry wood.

Yeah, I am not into the farmhouse sink either, I just like the cabinets and floor. Our laundry room is just poorly laid out. I think the space could be much better utilized, and the cabinets are so old, I hate them. I am mad we spent the money to have them painted, we should have known painting old cabinets doesn’t change the fact that they are still ugly old cabinets, now they are just white instead of cherry wood.
This is the story of my homeownership life! We painted the cabinets in our first house, but just rolled with the oak ones in our current home (so far). We have good natural light; the only way I’d ever paint old cabinets again is if new ones weren’t in the budget and we had poor lighting. I’d probably have more issues with our laundry room, but our spare bedroom serves as secondary laundry space. Not ideal, but it’ll do until we know where we’ll be permanently located.

I’m randomly measuring areas of the garage like I know what I’m doing before ordering an impact screen. The “plan” is to wire the screen below the door tracks and ceiling-mount a projector. Not sure what retracting mechanism I’ll use yet.

Thanks for the suggestion @JB .. While it was a pain in the ass, taking my brain back to geometry and shop class, using the basic tools I have, I looks so much better with the trim
20210215_163606.jpg

Just have to grout it later in the week

The floors start being installed today. It has taken nearly 3 months from the day we paid, which I’m blatantly grumpy about. I won’t show any before photos as the current flooring is vile and disgusting. In progress and after shots will be coming this week (I hope)

For the DIY-ERS, thoughts on various tool brands? I'm looking for a fairly encompassing set, even if I may not need or use a particular tool much. Ryobi is obviously the cheapest and gets very good reviews, but a few buddies are advising to stay away due to longevity and quality. I did come across this awesome dewalt deal, and by no means am I a pro/contractor but the reputation and longevity of dewalt is enticing (but holy hell are batteries expensive vs ryobi). I wouldn't need the grinder or even the sander, but would maybe rather have reciprocating (but I can get that corded I guess and any brand then)

View attachment 8993221

The ryobi one i can basically get the set up, BUT plus a couple bigger hp+ batteries, for $60 less or so
View attachment 8993222

I appreciate any input!

Don't know if you have already pulled the trigger but I thought I would give some input. I started purchasing tools when I bought my first house. I picked Dewalt due to the fact that they were the well known name. As I have purchased more and more tools I have noticed that certain companies have better tools than other. Personally, I will never purchase another cordless Dewalt tool. Their batteries are indeed pricey but they have short run times and the longevity just isn't there. When it comes to cordless tools I'll only purchase Milwaukee. Batteries across the board are expensive, but Milwaukee has some of the best longevity and runtime when it comes to batteries, their tools as well are top notch. If someone were asking me what brand of tools to buy with the hopes that they would last a long time and have great quality, it is Milwaukee no doubt! That being said if you start to look at Table saw's, for a DIY'er I would take a look at the Dewalt jobsite saw. It has a cord but it is a great saw and I personally have it. I haven't dealt with Ryobi due to my love affair with Milwaukee so I can't give you any ideas there....I'm just going to say it again though Milwaukee for cordless.

Thanks for the suggestion @JB .. While it was a pain in the ass, taking my brain back to geometry and shop class, using the basic tools I have, I looks so much better with the trim
View attachment 8993604

Just have to grout it later in the week
Subway tile.....I have a bit of PTSD from it.....Good idea going for the flat and not the beveled subway tile. Wish I would have thought of that.
1613496822801.png

Good point.. pulled the trigger on that dewalt set. Ryobi is always that cheap, couldn't pass up the deal on the dewalts, and they'll last for me for way longer

Edit- did more research into those combo kits for dewalt, some odd marketing and they basically box up not even retail versions or with lower performance. So ill be returning and I already ordered a Milwaukee brushless 3 tool set for 280. Was tempted to add in a sawzall set that would come with an extra 5ah battery, but that was an extra 270 I didn't need to spend so ill piece that collection over time

Damn tool buying was stressful, basically making a long term commitment
Haha sorry for my earlier comment, just saw this. If you don't need the sawzall I'd hold off on it. There are a LOT of good deals around November on Milwaukee tools, a lot of them including free batteries and such. I picked up the Milwaukee Brad nailer for I wanna say it's tool only price ($280) but it had the extra 5ah battery for free.

Get ready to step into their packout gear.....It is next level but once again, an investment.

That was the first tile job I ever did.....Baptism by fire is what that was called.
I just added photos to my post.

I didn't know how much of a pain the beveled tile would be, so I didn't put up a stink with my wife.

Then I saw it used on a go-by project we were designing at work, and the owner said his contractors were complaining about it and it wouldn't be on future jobs. I told him that I knew the feeling.

Don't know if you have already pulled the trigger but I thought I would give some input. I started purchasing tools when I bought my first house. I picked Dewalt due to the fact that they were the well known name. As I have purchased more and more tools I have noticed that certain companies have better tools than other. Personally, I will never purchase another cordless Dewalt tool. Their batteries are indeed pricey but they have short run times and the longevity just isn't there. When it comes to cordless tools I'll only purchase Milwaukee. Batteries across the board are expensive, but Milwaukee has some of the best longevity and runtime when it comes to batteries, their tools as well are top notch. If someone were asking me what brand of tools to buy with the hopes that they would last a long time and have great quality, it is Milwaukee no doubt! That being said if you start to look at Table saw's, for a DIY'er I would take a look at the Dewalt jobsite saw. It has a cord but it is a great saw and I personally have it. I haven't dealt with Ryobi due to my love affair with Milwaukee so I can't give you any ideas there....I'm just going to say it again though Milwaukee for cordless.
I actually picked up both But am returning the dewalts. The kit they sold was like a bait and switch per say. Like they weren't to the same specs with RPMs as their standard even with the same model #.

So I got a milwaukee set on the way, a compact drill, impact, and multi tool, all brushless, and comes with 3 batteries. I'll get a sawzall down the road with a bigger battery eventually. And yeah some tools I'm good with corded, like a table saw.. I don't need mobility on that, just have it on the work bench. Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually picked up both But am returning the dewalts. The kit they sold was like a bait and switch per say. Like they weren't to the same specs with RPMs as their standard even with the same model #.

So I got a milwaukee set on the way, a compact drill, impact, and multi tool, all brushless, and comes with 3 batteries. I'll get a sawzall down the road with a bigger battery eventually. And yeah some tools I'm good with corded, like a table saw.. I don't need mobility on that, just have it on the work bench. Thanks for the suggestion!
You'll really like the Milwaukee lineup. Great customer service and quality tools! The multi tool is sneaky good. It saved me while I was finishing up part of my basement.

After a full day of prep work the first pieces are going down. It’s not much but it’s exciting to us - imagine the most vile disgusting old carpet you can. Now make it worse. That’s what we are replacing 😀

9DAD1300-907C-49D1-BCB8-7A9EE3A4F3A2.jpeg

The wife and I have needed our carpet replaced for a few years but with young kids we have put if off. The kids are now older and we've started the process of looking again. We want to do a hardwood with the tongue and groove. I've never installed it before but from what I can tell, it's pretty painless. Anyone here with experience? Tips? Things to watch out for?

After a full day of prep work the first pieces are going down. It’s not much but it’s exciting to us - imagine the most vile disgusting old carpet you can. Now make it worse. That’s what we are replacing 😀

View attachment 8993952
Guess I should have scrolled down further :ROFLMAO:
Are you doing this yourself or having it done sir?

Guess I should have scrolled down further :ROFLMAO:
Are you doing this yourself or having it done sir?
Having it done. I'm about 99% sure that I could do it but I'm 100% sure I don't have the time to make it happen. So I'm stroking a check.

The wife and I have needed our carpet replaced for a few years but with young kids we have put if off. The kids are now older and we've started the process of looking again. We want to do a hardwood with the tongue and groove. I've never installed it before but from what I can tell, it's pretty painless. Anyone here with experience? Tips? Things to watch out for?

Engineered wood is pretty easy to install. A good miter saw makes the job go much better. As with many other things, you get what you pay for. We bought a Lowe's house brand for a spare bedroom because we liked the color. The tongues and grooves were not well behaved and it dents easily. It's plenty srviceable, but we will replacer it in another five or so years.

Having it done. I'm about 99% sure that I could do it but I'm 100% sure I don't have the time to make it happen. So I'm stroking a check.
That's basically where I'm at. I think I could handle it just fine but do I just want to have it done and save the stress of doing it myself

Back