The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

Seems crazy to me that they’d have to buy airtime
I'm sure they don't have to. The point is airtime is for sale - networks don't care who pays for it (advertisers or producers) LIV buying airtime gets it in front of a wider audience, and keeps it commercial free. I think that's a great way to start.

Seems crazy to me that they’d have to buy airtime
With this roster of players, I’d have definitely thought someone would be willing to pay to air the league. The perceived toxicity due to the Saudi funding is pretty powerful still.

The only issue I have with LIV and so far I like LIV and many other tours. But the issue I do have is the Saudi's are very restrictive when it comes to foreign companies operating in Saudi Arabia. This is a little hypocritical that they want to use capitalism laws to prosper in America but in their own country they're not really welcoming of foreign owned businesses.
I would like to see Saudi be more foreign company welcoming.

Anyway big storm coming that is going to put a crimp on my golf game. Stay safe

The only issue I have with LIV and so far I like LIV and many other tours. But the issue I do have is the Saudi's are very restrictive when it comes to foreign companies operating in Saudi Arabia. This is a little hypocritical that they want to use capitalism laws to prosper in America but in their own country they're not really welcoming of foreign owned businesses.

Interesting. Google-fu shows there are a lot of American companies doing business in SA.

Interesting. Google-fu shows there are a lot of American companies doing business in SA.
There is but they have some very stringent restrictions on them. Saudi not having an Apple store is one example, Apple is not going to bow to Saudi demands. It's just not comparable to how a foreign company can operate in America. I don't want to skirt the lines of politics but Saudi doesn't 100% operate as capitalism. Do you think the Saudi government would allow a full pledged competing golf tour to set up shop in Saudi Arabia?

Stay safe!

I'm sure they don't have to. The point is airtime is for sale - networks don't care who pays for it (advertisers or producers) LIV buying airtime gets it in front of a wider audience, and keeps it commercial free. I think that's a great way to start.

"Just two weeks ago, the CEO of LIV, Greg Norman, said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments."

1. Greg's Fiction...

“We’re talking to four different networks, and live conversations where offers are being put on the table,” he told ESPN. “They can see what we’re delivering.”

2. Greg's Reality...

"A well-placed industry executive says LIV struck out with approaches to multiple broadcasters, including NBC, CBS, Disney, Apple and Amazon, and that Fox Sports got involved only at the behest of Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chairman and CEO of Fox Corp."

3. Greg's Options.

Buy Airtime. Gotta start somewhere. YouTube is not doing it.

"Just two weeks ago, the CEO of LIV, Greg Norman, said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments."

1. Greg's Fiction...

“We’re talking to four different networks, and live conversations where offers are being put on the table,” he told ESPN. “They can see what we’re delivering.”

2. Greg's Reality...

"A well-placed industry executive says LIV struck out with approaches to multiple broadcasters, including NBC, CBS, Disney, Apple and Amazon, and that Fox Sports got involved only at the behest of Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chairman and CEO of Fox Corp."

3. Greg's Options.

Buy Airtime. Gotta start somewhere. YouTube is not doing it.
Interesting take. You say that a quote from GN is fiction, but an insinuation from an un-named, unquoted "well placed executive" is fact.

Interesting take. You say that a quote from GN is fiction, but an insinuation from an un-named, unquoted "well placed executive" is fact.

Facts:

He has no TV deal.

He is attempting to buy time.

The well placed exec was only saying LIV did not generate sufficient interest ...

As I stated, buying time is a start. Don't be so sensitive.;) Greg will get to show his product and Fox can re-evaluate.

There is but they have some very stringent restrictions on them. Saudi not having an Apple store is one example, Apple is not going to bow to Saudi demands. It's just not comparable to how a foreign company can operate in America. I don't want to skirt the lines of politics but Saudi doesn't 100% operate as capitalism. Do you think the Saudi government would allow a full pledged competing golf tour to set up shop in Saudi Arabia?
These practices are nowhere near limited to SA. Here's an excerpt from a paper published by the Orginization for Economic Co-operation and Development.

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 1.54.33 PM.png

Edit* FDI barriers are the reason Apple does not have a store in SA.

There are so many reasons to dislike a lot of what has happened, pure speculation when facts exist seem so unnecessary.

its a fact that Greg stated he had a plan from the beginning and he knew exactly what would happen and acted accordingly. so is it really speculation? Based on sharkys comments, I think not.

its a fact that Greg stated he had a plan from the beginning and he knew exactly what would happen and acted accordingly. so is it really speculation? Based on sharkys comments, I think not.
Outside of knowing that plan, it is absolutely speculation. Perhaps that word means something different to others...(y)

Paying for airtime seems like quite the departure from enormous interest from multiple networks. Curious to see how Norman spins this one.

Outside of knowing that plan, it is absolutely speculation. Perhaps that word means something different to others...(y)

Greg said he knew what would happen and its gone exactly like he thought it would. We know the plan are are seeing it, according to him. The speculation is if he ever really wanted LIV to play second fiddle to the PGAT (8 offseason events). Doubt it based on these contradictory comments of his.

Greg said he knew what would happen and its gone exactly like he thought it would. We know the plan are are seeing it, according to him. The speculation is if he ever really wanted LIV to play second fiddle to the PGAT (8 offseason events). Doubt it based on these contradictory comments of his.

I think it’s fair to read between the lines. I mean when we look at criminal cases we don’t just look at facts we look at reasonable assumptions to determine things such as probable cause. It’s decoding. Say there’s a wedding but there’s no invitation but you hear a cater is booked, a band is booked, a cake is being delivered, etc. Literally this is how US defeated Japan in WWII with musicians. You don’t always get facts but you can use certain items to decipher. Norman is not gonna tell straight facts unless it benefits LIV so you have to look at everything going on around.

I think it’s fair to read between the lines. I mean when we look at criminal cases we don’t just look at facts we look at reasonable assumptions to determine things such as probable cause. It’s decoding. Say there’s a wedding but there’s no invitation but you hear a cater is booked, a band is booked, a cake is being delivered, etc. Literally this is how US defeated Japan in WWII with musicians. You don’t always get facts but you can use certain items to decipher. Norman is not gonna tell straight facts unless it benefits LIV so you have to look at everything going on around.
Yet "decoding" only one side. Seems objective :ROFLMAO:

I will be interested in how the deal changes the end product. I am assuming there will be commercials now... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
8 offseason events
I don't think the plan was ever to have all 8 events "offseason". That was a suggested resolution by Ernie Els if memory serves me. The 8 events this year were not "offseason", but except for the Canadian Open, were scheduled opposite "lesser" events on the PGAT schedule, not against any Majors or big tournaments like Bay Hill, The Genesis, The Players. The Memorial, etc.

Just caught up to make sure this thread is still a beacon of open-mindedness and positive thinking.

Yep. Doing great. :LOL:

Sheesh.. I would have never in a thousand years thought golf would get so messy and political.. I kinda hate it..

Here's a thought, and mind you, I'm an idiot: If LIV did have potential broadcast suitors who weren't willing to pull the trigger, could buying air time on a channel that is already in a lot of homes be an opportunity to put themselves in front of viewers and then provide better numbers of what could be possible? Perhaps a sort of, "Here's what we did with streaming on our own, here's what we did with this channel, imagine what we could do with you?"

Sheesh.. I would have never in a thousand years thought golf would get so messy and political.. I kinda hate it..

I haven't watched a tournament for more than a few minutes since The Open, and not for the last three weeks. Lost interest.

Back