The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

It's almost like in business you may need to lose money upfront to gain revenue down the road.
Let’s look at this logically though. No one is taking interest in your billion dollar tour with which you claim is full of top stars. So much so you are now buying airtime. This isn’t some random little business paying to get its commercial on TV so people know about it. Everyone has heard of LIV especially from the clashing with pga for months and yet no networks want it.

Buying airtime is not as uncommon as its making it out for upstarts.
I may be mistaken, but didn't the LPGA have to "buy" their coverage several years ago?

and yet no networks want it.
True, but a lot of those possible network partners for LIV have ties to the PGAT, and it has been reported that the PGAT has pressured any number of their partners and sponsors to not get involved with LIV.

If this was any other group, I don't think they would have to buy air time necessarily, but the PGA Tour has a lot of partners and very few were going to be willing to buck that.
I suspected this was a major factor, perhaps more than the SA is evil narrative

I may be mistaken, but didn't the LPGA have to "buy" their coverage several years ago?
Yes, although I believe a bit longer ago than several years. In fact the PGA Tour has done this as well, but mostly before cable TV.
It fits a great narrative, but it is not nearly as uncommon as people want to believe it is. It gives you the rights to the ad sales, which can absolutely pay for the air time and then some.

Rory:
"It's no good for the guys on, you know, this side or the sort of traditional system and it's no good for the guys on the other side, either. It's no good for anyone. There is a time and a place for it. I just think right now, with where everything is, it's probably not the right time."

Rory - If you don’t like it so fractured then maybe don’t throw barbs but work towards a solution. Pretty sure the players could force the Tour’s hand if they really wanted. Not a smart business move, so I get it, but not sure the martyr card here plays well.

True, but a lot of those possible network partners for LIV have ties to the PGAT, and it has been reported that the PGAT has pressured any number of their partners and sponsors to not get involved with LIV.

Yeah but if networks and sponsors really thought it was worth it they would do it. If ESPN thought they could compete with the PGA tour in LIV viewership they would. Quite simply the networks don’t think it’s worth it to get on the bad side of the PGA. Networks probably don’t see it as a sustainable situation long term and this not willing to hurt pga bridges.

Yeah but if networks and sponsors really thought it was worth it they would do it. If ESPN thought they could compete with the PGA tour in LIV viewership they would. Quite simply the networks don’t think it’s worth it to get on the bad side of the PGA. Networks probably don’t see it as a sustainable situation long term and this not willing to hurt pga bridges.
Thats not black and white.
Say your asking price is 10 dollars. And you are getting multiple offers for 5. You would be better served buying time and selling ads if you have the confidence than you would be settling for lesser money if you believe the future offers more.

The main caveat on these things is production costs. Most upstarts want the assistance with that and costs. In this instance (and for the LPGA prior) they already had that handled and didn't need it.

Yet ESPN has live LIV leaderboards, upcoming events, and past event results. There was no obligation for them to do this, but if they were really scared of burning bridges with PGA they wouldn't of put their toe into the LIV world at all. I actually applaud them because they're a sports outlet, unlike the Golf Channel that just acts like a PGA strong arm to discredit LIV at every turn.

Rory:
"It's no good for the guys on, you know, this side or the sort of traditional system and it's no good for the guys on the other side, either. It's no good for anyone. There is a time and a place for it. I just think right now, with where everything is, it's probably not the right time."

Rory - If you don’t like it so fractured then maybe don’t throw barbs but work towards a solution. Pretty sure the players could force the Tour’s hand if they really wanted. Not a smart business move, so I get it, but not sure the martyr card here plays well.
56134B8F-A325-4492-B497-0829F5D42A5D.jpeg

PGA Tour files countersuit. This stuff isn’t as exciting as either on-course product.

PGA Tour files countersuit. This stuff isn’t as exciting as either on-course product.
The PGA Tour's lawsuit doesn't make any sense to me. If I'm understanding correctly, they're suing LIV essentially for offering enough money for players to decide to break their contracts. I get that the Tour doesn't like it, but doesn't seem illegal at all. Maybe someone can explain it better to me.

I do find the Patrick Reed lawsuit wildly entertaining though 😄

The PGA Tour's lawsuit doesn't make any sense to me. If I'm understanding correctly, they're suing LIV essentially for offering enough money for players to decide to break their contracts. I get that the Tour doesn't like it, but doesn't seem illegal at all. Maybe someone can explain it better to me.

I guess it depends on what is exactly in the pga contract. Could the pga be arguing that LIV caused players to break their contracts and thus hurt the tour’s image or is there more to the pga contracts than people know. Maybe players have exclusive deals with the tour itself or certain image deals. If players are suing the right to play the pga tour could the pga tour sue LIV on the basis that LIV intentionally tried to damage their brand. You’d have to prove intent. Regardless I see all lawsuits failing.

I guess it depends on what is exactly in the pga contract. Could the pga be arguing that LIV caused players to break their contracts and thus hurt the tour’s image or is there more to the pga contracts than people know. Maybe players have exclusive deals with the tour itself or certain image deals. If players are suing the right to play the pga tour could the pga tour sue LIV on the basis that LIV intentionally tried to damage their brand. You’d have to prove intent. Regardless I see all lawsuits failing.
This is just the PGA Tour’s response to LIV’s antitrust suit from which most plaintiffs have already withdrawn.

First the BMW PGA is shortened to 54 holes, now Alfred Dunhill is using a shotgun start.

I love it.

I don't have a side, I'll watch whatever golf you put on, but I love it.

Do you have a source for that reporting?

I believe specific examples were mentioned in the initial lawsuit brought by LIV just prior to the FedEx Cup start, and the PGA pressuring others, including the Majors, was discussed in an article on ESPN by senior writer Mark Schlabach.

I think there was a rumor yesterday that LIV was close to a deal with Fox Sports. LIV would buy the block of airtime from Fox.

I hope it all plays out live on Court TV. It might be bigger than OJ. 😊

Perhaps it would be manageable if Rory would just shut the hell up.
While I don’t agree with everything Rory says and have been quite critical in spots, I would choose Norman shutting up over anybody.

I enjoy a good lawyer fight!!:drinks:

Back