The Official 2015 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The qualifying offer wall has finally come down. Colby Rasmus accepts the QO from Astros.

Rasmus is a smart dude. He saw what happened to some guys like Drew and Morales. He knew he wasn't going to get that kind of money anywhere else so why not stay where you are happy and can make a nice chunk of change for a year and the see what happens next year. Also helps the team plan for the season as well.

Rasmus is a smart dude. He saw what happened to some guys like Drew and Morales. He knew he wasn't going to get that kind of money anywhere else so why not stay where you are happy and can make a nice chunk of change for a year and the see what happens next year. Also helps the team plan for the season as well.

I tend to agree. He would have probably been looking at getting about 2 years, $20 million elsewhere. Doubt anyone would have gone much longer than that with him due to his career inconsistencies.

I agree with all of this minus the tiny drop in defense. You are going from the best defensive SS in the MLB to just a little above replacement value defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that's only for a year in which the team has no plans of contending. For the sake of a draft pick, isn't below replacement exactly what they want? Aybar has been on the decline but he still makes the plays, has a good arm and is a former gold glover.

But that's only for a year in which the team has no plans of contending. For the sake of a draft pick, isn't below replacement exactly what they want? Aybar has been on the decline but he still makes the plays, has a good arm and is a former gold glover.

Yes but you said a bit less defense and that just isn't remotely the case...

I think the trade is great for the Braves. I don't like it for the Angels near as much, the reason they didn't do anything last year isn't because they were missing a golf glove shortstop

I think the trade is great for the Braves. I don't like it for the Angels near as much, the reason they didn't do anything last year isn't because they were missing a golf glove shortstop

The flip side is the Angels definitely improved themselves right now whereas the Braves only improve themselves if the young pitchers make it to the bigs and contribute. Even with top prospects, that's very far from a given.

The more I look at the Angles side of it, the worse it gets. They have nothing left in the farm system. Braves were smart with this as they knew the SS FA market is lacking and have a prospect that they think will be ready in a year or two to take over at short.

I think it works out to a difference of 28 defensive runs over the course of the season.

The Angels certainly have huge holes to fill in LF, 3B and catcher (& manager IMO). Rotation is decent providing Skaggs can come back from TJ well enough.

The more I look at the Angles side of it, the worse it gets. They have nothing left in the farm system. Braves were smart with this as they knew the SS FA market is lacking and have a prospect that they think will be ready in a year or two to take over at short.

The Angels system is absolutely bare bones. Newcomb was our saving grace and now thats gone. As a fan it drives me crazy to hear they are "all in", nothing about their play or manager indicates that they are a team that can come together and win in the playoffs. They already pushed out a GM that was trying to make the right moves and now the new guy does this as his first move, whooppeee. Just tune in every 15-25 minutes and hope Trout does something awesome, which he usually does.

Bosox have a closer! :banana: Kimbrel from SD for 4 minor league prospects. Now to get some reliable starters to put him in save situations...

Bosox have a closer! :banana: Kimbrel from SD for 4 minor league prospects. Now to get some reliable starters to put him in save situations...
I like the deal. I am not recognizing the 4 prospects and from what I read, none of them have been higher than Double A - so right now it looks like a solid deal for a closer.

Like you said, they need to improve the starting rotation.

Fun fact...

SD got better prospects out of this trade than Atlanta did from SD.

Surprised to see Boston gave up so many young arms though. A lot of potential heading away from the Red Sox.

More players taking the qualifying offer. Anyone who is coming off injury or may have an up/down will be smart to take that money.

Was hoping the Astros would get Kimbrel, but after seeing what Boston gave up, Im glad they didnt.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Man i missed the kimbrell trade...dombrowski dont mess around

Was hoping the Astros would get Kimbrel, but after seeing what Boston gave up, Im glad they didnt.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
None of their top prospects though luckily. Probably saving a few of those for starting pitching.

SO if the Tribe doesnt sign a big name FA OF and Brantley isnt back for opening day (and short of them bringing up a prospect early), this could be their starting OF (article I just read)

Center field: Abraham Almonte, who batted .264 (.766 OPS) with 5 HR and 20 RBI in 178 at bats.
Right field: Lonnie Chisenhall, who batted .246 (.666 OPS) with 7 HR and 44 RBI in 333 at bats.
Left field: Well ... Jerry Sands? He batted .236 (.676 OPS) with 4 HR and 19 RBI in 123 at bats.

Basically they BETTER sign 1-2 OFers in the off season, or move a SP for a solid one.

SO if the Tribe doesnt sign a big name FA OF and Brantley isnt back for opening day (and short of them bringing up a prospect early), this could be their starting OF (article I just read)

Center field: Abraham Almonte, who batted .264 (.766 OPS) with 5 HR and 20 RBI in 178 at bats.
Right field: Lonnie Chisenhall, who batted .246 (.666 OPS) with 7 HR and 44 RBI in 333 at bats.
Left field: Well ... Jerry Sands? He batted .236 (.676 OPS) with 4 HR and 19 RBI in 123 at bats.

Basically they BETTER sign 1-2 OFers in the off season, or move a SP for a solid one.
On behalf of the Dodgers, I offer your Indians either Carl Crawford or Andre Ethier. We will accept half a ticket stub to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in return. If you want both of them you don't even need to give us matching halves of the same ticket stub.

On behalf of the Dodgers, I offer your Indians either Carl Crawford or Andre Ethier. We will accept half a ticket stub to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in return. If you want both of them you don't even need to give us matching halves of the same ticket stub.

no on crawford.

Ethier wouldnt be "awful" but we would need the dodgers to offer to eat half the contract like they were shopping earlier this year. If not it smells like Swiher/Bourn all over again

6yrs/$75mil for Brandon Crawford. Seems like a lot for a team that could use help at other positions

[h=1]Jayson StarkSenior Writer, ESPN.com [/h]
stark_jayson_m.jpg

Trade alert: An exec whose team has talked to Detroit about relievers says the Tigers are on the verge of trading for Francisco Rodriguez

[h=1]Jayson StarkSenior Writer, ESPN.com [/h]
stark_jayson_m.jpg

Trade alert: An exec whose team has talked to Detroit about relievers says the Tigers are on the verge of trading for Francisco Rodriguez

Hearing it's a done deal according to 97.1 the ticket in Detroit.

Great deal for the Tigers!

May be a match with the Sox. They would likely be willing to move an OFer not named Mookie for a front line SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back