The Official 2019 - 2020 NHL and Everything Hockey Thread

If he was ranting about hockey, that’s one thing. He’s made a living talking about out dated hockey stereotypes. This had nothing to do with hockey. Great that he wants to support the military and the legion, as he should. However his take was completely uneducated and racist.
Not trying to take this into a full on debate room style discussion, but I think there's a big difference between referencing the collective immigrants of a Country and singling out a race. Unless I missed a quote, he never once referenced a particular race.

As someone who has emigrated to another Country, I respect the local opinion when it comes to highly patriotic conversations and understand that I am a guest more or less in their world. I make a point to thank servicemen and honor the traditions here because I know it makes others happy, and honestly it feels good to appreciate those who made the ultimate sacrifice so I can have the life I do.

Again, I wouldn't say something like that, but I don't think he was racially motivated. I think it's one of his many tirades, and as he aged, his already non-existent filter finally went beyond what the networks were willing to tolerate.

Not trying to take this into a full on debate room style discussion, but I think there's a big difference between referencing the collective immigrants of a Country and singling out a race. Unless I missed a quote, he never once referenced a particular race.

As someone who has emigrated to another Country, I respect the local opinion when it comes to highly patriotic conversations and understand that I am a guest more or less in their world. I make a point to thank servicemen and honor the traditions here because I know it makes others happy, and honestly it feels good to appreciate those who made the ultimate sacrifice so I can have the life I do.

Again, I wouldn't say something like that, but I don't think he was racially motivated. I think it's one of his many tirades, and as he aged, his already non-existent filter finally went beyond what the networks were willing to tolerate.

Haha I don’t think this will go full debate room, pretty sure we all actually know how to have a convo here Dan without getting butthurt. Number one rule of the NHL thread; no butthurt.

You’re right. He didn’t mention a race. Though I don’t think it’s hard to narrow down who he’s talking about. Though I’m fine with saying it’s extremely derogatory.

If he would have simply said everyone should be buying a poppy, no problem. Instead he brought up immigrants. It’s funny though, he has no issues bragging up the Scots and the Irish that mass immigrated here in the 1800’s and early 1900’s. Which is why I believe his narrative is racially driven.

He’s put down woman in the hockey industry before. He’s supported politicians who have a particular narrative in the past. He’s their to talk about hockey and all he had to do was stick to that, but he couldn’t because he’s a pig.

Haha I don’t think this will go full debate room, pretty sure we all actually know how to have a convo here Dan without getting butthurt. Number one rule of the NHL thread; no butthurt.

You’re right. He didn’t mention a race. Though I don’t think it’s hard to narrow down who he’s talking about. Though I’m fine with saying it’s extremely derogatory.

If he would have simply said everyone should be buying a poppy, no problem. Instead he brought up immigrants. It’s funny though, he has no issues bragging up the Scots and the Irish that mass immigrated here in the 1800’s and early 1900’s. Which is why I believe his narrative is racially driven.

He’s put down woman in the hockey industry before. He’s supported politicians who have a particular narrative in the past. He’s their to talk about hockey and all he had to do was stick to that, but he couldn’t because he’s a pig.

I agree with what you have stated. Had he just stated that everyone in Canada should buy poppies, it would likelyhave been acceptable and would not have resulted in his firing.

I agree with your statement that his comments went beyond what the networks were willing to tolerate. And that’s understandable given his track record of what he has stated in the past.

We are on the same page, I'm just saying his commentary is absolutely on par with his track record, and I don't think people should be offended or surprised by it. I'm genuinely surprised his run lasted this long.

We are on the same page, I'm just saying his commentary is absolutely on par with his track record, and I don't think people should be offended or surprised by it. I'm genuinely surprised his run lasted this long.

I completely agree with that.

I do love the people who bring up the freedom of speech portion of this. He works for a private company, they have rights as well.

I'm curious what CC's viewership numbers even looked like over the past decade. Only time I tuned in was to play the Don Cherry drinking game haha.

I do love the people who bring up the freedom of speech portion of this. He works for a private company, they have rights as well.

I'm curious what CC's viewership numbers even looked like over the past decade. Only time I tuned in was to play the Don Cherry drinking game haha.
I haven't had the opportunity to watch his decline, but man I loved him way back in the day. He was fascinating.

I was never a fan of Cherry for other reasons. I think hes often an idiot in his hockey ideology regardless his success from that time. So i dont like him and also myself not even being canadian That said, imo he said nothing wrong here and its the same BS PC garbage that goes on here in the US. People need to grow some skin. The man spoke of an honest and patriotic feeling for his county. If that hurt anyone's feelings? Too bad. I also admire he not apologizing. And again i dont even like him.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch his decline, but man I loved him way back in the day. He was fascinating.

Oh man, when I was a kid, I watched all the time and had every Don Cherry hockey tape/DVD that came out. It's unfortunate that he wasn't able to keep up with the changes in the sport.

Regarding Cherry, the people that ended him used to be about "sensitivity training" when someone was insensitive...today they want to absolutely crush you if you are insensitive, or politically incorrect. They fight to let murderers and rapists out of prison early, but want you to be thrown in prison if you say something they find offensive. It's kind of creepy.

I was talking with a buddy last night who is a big Leafs fan and he thinks Babcock is flat out coaching the talent out of the team.

Interesting take.

Haha Islander fans still chanting “we don’t need you” to Tavares?

Y’all salty af haha move on or get a better chant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caps vs Flyers on NBC tonight's tilt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

McDavid with 6 pts last night. Draisaitl with 5 assists. Reminds me of the Gretzky and Kurri days growing up in Edmonton.

Freedom of speech is not an issue for Don Cherry. I don't know about Canada, but here in the US private business can take actions against employees for things that they say.

Many people incorrectly assume that free speech rights mean that someone should be able to say whatever they want and not experience any opposition or consequences. In America, Congress or the government, in general, can't prohibit free speech. The government can't punish people , with certain exceptions, for their speech. But private businesses, such as a television network, can punish employees for their speech.

Free speech violations require government involvement.

Yay!

Sportsnet wasn’t going to renew Dons contract back in July when they made a bunch of cuts to on air talent this was a quick easy decision. I’m not a Cherry fan and don’t care if he stayed or left. What he said is no worse than anything else since 1982. But the Rock’em Sock’em videos were awesome. I was first introduced to them at Notre Dame so I’ll just leave here as a lasting memory to Don.

That may be one of the most disturbing videos I've ever seen. The "song", not the hockey.

That may be one of the most disturbing videos I've ever seen. The "song", not the hockey.

Let’s go. Lol. It’s awful

Okay, those Canucks jerseys are great. ?

I love these Canucks sweaters with my entire heart!

The constipated whale needs to be put to pasture, and these need to be reinstated as full time logos/jerseys.

Ron Maclean throwing Cherry under the bus again last night.
Pathetic. He has lost what little respect he had left from hockey loving Canadiens.

Going to be honest, food taste better with the Blackhawks winning. Stuck it pretty good to the Preds last night.

Back