The Official 2023 NFL Thread

And how are they supposed to do that? Its impossible
I’d think KYC guidelines are fairly standard as part of risk analysis. I also know nothing about this stuff.

I’m about 168 hours from peak anxiety for 2024. 😂 😂 😂

I’m about 168 hours from peak anxiety for 2024. 😂 😂 😂
What’s the strategy here? Are we pacing, sitting in the same spot, wearing lucky socks…?

What’s the strategy here? Are we pacing, sitting in the same spot, wearing lucky socks…?
Yes It Is GIF

Honestly, my superstition is purposely wearing different stuff every week so I don't even think about wearing the same stuff and getting stuck in that stuff. I know I have zero impact on the game so why drive myself crazy worrying about if I washed my lucky jersey and put on the same pair of underwear and my left sock on first? I'm not positive where I am even watching it yet at this point.

The Super Bowl is interesting for me. I want just to watch the game. it is the final game of the year and then 6 months of no football. It is kind of like the NYE of football games though. Brings out amateur hour and I get annoyed listening to non-football fans talk about football. Add in my team being there and I am going to be 10x more annoyed at everything. The last thing I want to engage in is random small talk about the Niners. For sure if I go to a party with friends there will be a comment on is Purdy as good as Mahomes and also a comment that we should have kept Jimmy G. I will be annoyed and not hide the disdain from my face. (I am definitely the asshole here)

Last edited:
Honestly, my superstition is purposely wearing different stuff every week so I don't even think about wearing the same stuff and getting stuck in that stuff. I know I have zero impact on the game so why drive myself crazy worrying about if I washed my lucky jersey and put on the same pair of underwear and my left sock on first? I'm not positive where I am even watching it yet at this point.

The Super Bowl is interesting for me. I want just to watch the game. it is the final game of the year and then 6 months of no football. It is kind of like the NYE of football games though. Brings out amateur hour and I get annoyed listening to non-football fans talk about football. Add in my team being there and I am going to be 10x more annoyed at everything. The last thing I want to engage in is random small talk about the Niners. For sure if I go to a party with friends there will be a comment on is Purdy as good as Mahomes and also a comment that we should have kept Jimmy G. I will be annoyed and not hide the disdain from my face. (I am definitely the asshole here)
I’ve been going away for SB weekend with the same group of buddies since 2001 so I don’t have to watch it with a bunch of random neighbors/casual NFL fans who would annoy me to no end. This year I’m hosting the party in Florida and two of them are coming all the way from California. I’ll be cheering for your 49ers and it will be interesting to watch with my CA buddies who are die hard Raiders fans and hate the Chiefs and the Niners. ;)

I’ve been going away for SB weekend with the same group of buddies since 2001 so I don’t have to watch it with a bunch of random neighbors/casual NFL fans who would annoy me to no end. This year I’m hosting the party in Florida and two of them are coming all the way from California. I’ll be cheering for your 49ers and it will be interesting to watch with my CA buddies who are die hard Raiders fans and hate the Chiefs and the Niners. ;)
I’m blown away by the number of raider fans I know that are rooting for the Chiefs over the Niners. It was inconceivable to me to root for a division rival over a random AFC team. I’ve had to root for the patriots twice in this situation. It didn’t even cross my mind to root for the NFC West team.

Caleb to DC??

If it's a Super Bowl I really want to see, I stay at home and watch it by myself. Every Super Bowl party I've gone to, you miss half of the game, can't get a good seat (or lose it every time you get up to go to the bathroom), and there's too much noise and too many distractions around you to really focus on the game itself. If it's a game I'm that interested in, I don't want to miss a minute of it.

My wife, sons, & I watch football at our house every Sunday. It’s actually a known thing w/ my friends that I don’t “go out” on Sundays. We get pizza/wings or my wife makes a big spread every week. Then we always would go to a party on Super Bowl Sunday. A few years ago my wife asked my what we do that and I couldn’t answer. Now we just do the same thing we do for the rest of the season and I couldn’t be happier. Like you said.. it’s the last game of the season and I really just want to enjoy it. I don’t remember what it feels like for my team to be there so I don’t have all ur worries 🤣.

Caleb to DC??

I think I like the hire of Kingsbury. Let's Quinn focus on the defense, he will run the offense, young guy who has knowledge of Williams. Will be interesting to see if they make a move for Williams or if they figure they can stay put. If the Bears want Marvin Harrison Junior I think they can only trade number 1 to the Commanders or Patriots really (can't fall behind the Cardinals or he will be gone).

I’m blown away by the number of raider fans I know that are rooting for the Chiefs over the Niners. It was inconceivable to me to root for a division rival over a random AFC team. I’ve had to root for the patriots twice in this situation. It didn’t even cross my mind to root for the NFC West team.
There are a lot of rivalries that only care about two things, your team winning and your rival team losing. Whatever it takes, it takes to those people.

Hoping to grill out and watch the super bowl with my wife and kids. I have some good friends that want us to drive up and watch with them but that adds an extra hassle with school and work the next day

Thinking out loud here, and I am sure it's not possible due to NFLPA, but, what if a Draft eligible player like Caleb Williams, decided not to go through the draft and just become a free agent?

Can that happen? Or must he go through the draft? Even if he opted out of the draft, I would assume a team could draft the rights to him?

Thinking out loud here, and I am sure it's not possible due to NFLPA, but, what if a Draft eligible player like Caleb Williams, decided not to go through the draft and just become a free agent?

Can that happen? Or must he go through the draft? Even if he opted out of the draft, I would assume a team could draft the rights to him?
According to a quick random google - apparently you can?

I wonder though, because there are some guaranteed incentives for being drafted if you could really shoot yourself in the foot short term.

I wonder though, because there are some guaranteed incentives for being drafted if you could really shoot yourself in the foot short term.
So much pre-draft stuff going on regarding Caleb Williams, and who he will or will not play for and other demands, if it's possible, I wonder if this is a situation we could see it in.

I'd imagine the contract is better on a high draft pick than a FA that isnt in the draft.

Not really.

So much pre-draft stuff going on regarding Caleb Williams, and who he will or will not play for and other demands, if it's possible, I wonder if this is a situation we could see it in.

I'd imagine the contract is better on a high draft pick than a FA that isnt in the draft.
If you go first round - I don't see why you wouldn't, but if you end up going way later maybe it's a wash?

If he is draft eligible there are enough petty teams that would draft him anyway even if he didn't want to play there. Then they "own" his rights until the next draft. So either play for the team that drafted you or don't play at all. See Bo Jackson. The best thing to do is to manipulate the system like Elway or Eli did to get a trade to happen. Actually the best thing to do is to be the best player you can be where they draft you.

I do think the team still has to release your rights before the next draft so it isn't automatic. I don't know I think if you can be the #1 draft pick you should be happy.

There are a lot of rivalries that only care about two things, your team winning and your rival team losing. Whatever it takes, it takes to those people.
Yeah, but Niners and Raiders aren’t rivals. They are rivals with the chiefs.

If the Lions ever make it, there is 0% chance I watch it anywhere other than my house, with very select company.

This opening night thing on NFL network is actually pretty good. I wasn’t planning on watching a ton of coverage this week but got a few texts separately. It’s as good as a forced interview thing can be.

Is Caleb Williams really being this petty and difficult or is the media making this bigger then it is? He does seem to be difficult already but I have no clue how common it is for guys of his draft status. I think I'd trade that pick if I was Chicago or take Maye.

Back