The official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our little town is on top of an alleged mountain. So the team is called the Hilltoppers.

During the Revolutionary War, there were systems of signal beacons up and down the east coast, on the tops of hills and such. One of them was about a mile from where I am right now.
Is it just a big hill?

In the town I grew up in we had a spot outside of town called Monkey Mountain, it was an awesome sledding hill. It didn't even remotely resemble a mountain though.

So its more of a mountain goat?

This place MO? I'd heard of it, but have never been there.

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=7805&txtUserID=&txtAreaNm=s

Monkey Mountain Conservation Area
Driving Directions
Go north of St. Joseph on I-29 to the first Highway 59 exit (Exit 67). Travel west on Highway 59 for 4 miles, then south on Highway U for 3.5 miles to the area's cantilever sign. Follow County Road 325 east for about 1 mile.

Highlights
This area has 800 acres of mostly forested bluffs above the Missouri River and 780 acres of Missouri River floodplain. This area also has stream frontage along the Missouri and Nodaway Rivers.

About This Area
Monkey Mountain Conservation Area is in Holt County, northwest of St. Joseph. The Conservation Department purchased this area in 1978 to provide public land for outdoor activities in northwest Missouri.The United States Army Corps of Engineers has purchased an additional 560 acres adjoining MDC's area, as part of the Missouri River Mitigation Project. The mitigation project has been designed to enhance fish and wildlife habitat along the Missouri River. The area is managed through a cooperative effort between the Corps of Engineers and the Missouri Department of Conservation. This area was called "Monkey Mountains," because early settlers deemed the river bluffs too steep for even monkeys to climb. The Lewis and Clark Expedition opened up this portion of the state for settlement, when it passed along the southern portion of the area on July 8, 1804. Settlement began on a large scale in 1836. At that time about 20 percent of the county, primarily the steep slopes, was in upland forest cover, consisting mainly of burr oak, white oak, red oak, black walnut, American elm, hickory and basswood. The remainder of the land, mostly ridge tops and rounded knolls, was either grassland or open timber with an understory of native grass. Monkey Mountain Conservation Area is managed for a wide range of game and non-game wildlife species. The area is available to the public for a variety of outdoor ativities Management of the area includes farming, haying and prescribed burning, plus developing wildlife habitat by tree, shrub, and grass plantings and selective harvesting of timber.

Nope, this one, they make it sound a lot more grand if you search it on the net.:D It's just outside of Grain Valley, MO

Maybe that's the one I heard of! Either way, I never went to that one either!

I hiked to the highest point in Missouri.

Spoiler
I didn't break a sweat. Or need to catch my breath.

Seriously.

You obviously didn't start your hike in Washington!

You obviously didn't start your hike in Washington!

Hah! No. I definitely would have broken a sweat and been out of breath if it had. And probably dead.

The highest point around here in western Kansas, just this side of Colorado. It's all downhill from there hehe.

We have a unique rock formation near several of the golf courses I play regularly called "Elephant Head".

It's probably over 1000ft high.

ElephantHead.jpg

I grew up next to this, you might notice it from all of the old western movies.
stoney_point.jpg

This little hill is down the road from me a bit.

MtRainier01.JPG

image004.jpg

Wish we had views like those around here.

I don't see the elephant, C-Tech.

Harry, Rainier never looks real--always like some sort of Disney backdrop. I love flying into SeaTac, though, with it poking up through the clouds to say hello.

Last night I turned on the TV and caught the part of So You Think You Can Dance where they tell a contestant they have to leave the show. I thought I heard Nigel Lithgoe tell the unfortunate young dancer that though they really admired his talents, he had been "sold" to another show. I didn't catch what show.

I was surprised, I didn't think Fox actually owned the kids on these reality shows.

Kevin

Wouldn't that be the Grand Tetons? I don't like flying into Jackson Hole.

The Native American name for Mt. Rainier is Mt. Tahoma. Tacoma/Tahoma was originally pronounced with a hard CH. In any event, it translates as Mother Breast. So I suppose Harry is correct, if not particularly indirect.

There is a mountain - really a big hill - in CT called Sleeping Giant because well, it looks like a sleeping giant.

I don't see the elephant, C-Tech.

Focus on the very top. Now come down a bit and to the right, you will see the dark eye. Once you establish the eye, the rest will come into focus.

Focus on the very top. Now come down a bit and to the right, you will see the dark eye. Once you establish the eye, the rest will come into focus.

OK, I see it now. There's also at least one face, other than the elephant, on there.

Ok - this looks like one of the best inventions ever. I wish they had them when I was a kid.

Pull-on Snow Shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back