The official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
7211M5XG.jpg

Not quite sure it steers quite like a sled!

Pull these shorts over a snowsuit and schuss downhill, lickety-split! Much more fun than pulling a sled—sit down, and you're off! You steer by shifting your weight. Foam-padded PVC seat is fused to the pull-on snowsuit shorts; six “runners” steer like a sled. Flexible to -20º F. Imported.

Sled (at least what I think of as sled):

sled.jpg

Yeah, but think of the fun Smallie. Where is your sense of adventure?

I know it was a lot of fun racing down hills with a chance of slicing up your (or someone else's) legs or other extremities pretty good with those runners!

True. I'm a bit of a klutz so I was thinking of all the times I tripped going back up the hill with the sled. With this, I would have slid down again.

Focus on the very top. Now come down a bit and to the right, you will see the dark eye. Once you establish the eye, the rest will come into focus.

I see the face, but it looks more like George Washington with really big ears.

With the snow shorts, even if you make it safely downhill, what do you do with your feet?

With the snow shorts, even if you make it safely downhill, what do you do with your feet?

I did think about that - I think you stick them up in the air.

Anyway. Or you could cross your legs and tuck your feet. I think that would work too.

No, they'd have to be up in the air, at least a little. Otherwise they'd dig in and you go tumbling!

I think you're right Smallie. I still think they look like fun.

Last time I went any kind of sledding, it was actually tubing. That is a lot of fun, going down a hill with absolutely no control over the contraption you are riding on!

The 14th hole at the club has an elevated tee box - one level for the back tees and another for the forward tees - then you'd have to stop before you hit the water. They got mad and planted bushes to deter us.

Last time I went any kind of sledding, it was actually tubing. That is a lot of fun, going down a hill with absolutely no control over the contraption you are riding on!

There's a ski hill about 40 minutes from my house that has a separate tubing area. The tubes are ridden down slots with snow mounded on each side that are as wide as a bowling lane. Some are steeper than others. To get to the top of the hill they clip a short strap on the tube to a tow rope and you sit on the tube and it drags you up the hill.

Several years ago we had a New Year's Eve party, and before that began in earnest all the families went to the tubing hill. My ample girth made rolling off the tube as it got to the top of the hill an adventure in and of itself, while at the same time providing great entertainment to the teenage employees that make sure there are no giant pile ups. As the evening wore on temperatures dropped toward 0* and the tubing lanes became quite icy. The tubes were really zooming down the hill. As the conditions combined with gravity, my weight, and my choice of the steepest runs, I think I began to set speed records. I was also catching some serious air as each run was terraced. Eventually, at the end of one run, I reached the hill bottom with enough velocity to frighteningly skim through the stopping area past a group of innocent and surprised bystanders, only to come to a bone jarring stop against the piled snow separating the tubing hill from the parking lot.

As a I trudged sheepishly back through the bystanders toward the hill, a teenage employee met me halfway and confiscated my tube. Conditions had rendered me a safety hazard.

All the kids got a kick out of that.

Kevin

When we get a good snow, our driveway is the neighborhood sled run. The back of our lot slopes steeply down a wooded hill to a creek. So we have to pile some snow at the base of the driveway to keep kids from plunging down into the creek. There have been times when kids have managed to sled over the mounded snow, but we have a collection area back there (thank goodness) and so far no one has made it past that.

Hmmm.... luckily, we have a good umbrella policy.

As a I trudged sheepishly back through the bystanders toward the hill, a teenage employee met me halfway and confiscated my tube. Conditions had rendered me a safety hazard.

All the kids got a kick out of that.

Kevin

Were you banned permanently?

Were you banned permanently?

No. We've been back. Once on slushy day where the opposite occurred, and I could barely slide down the hill. They've also added a moving walkway up the hill with a railing on each side. You just have to stand and hold your tube.

Kevin

I've never sledded, tubed or tobogganed anywhere where safety was considered. We'd find a place and try it out. We might scout it out first to see what's at the bottom, but we usually just ejected before reaching the trouble! I am pretty surprised, looking back, that we never had any serious accidents!

I never had an accident, but many others did. My cousin had to have stiches from her ear to chin. A couple of other kids had broken bones. Those pesky trees.

Hubby is sitting six feet from me. He just sent me two emails.

At least he isn't using a chat program to talk to ya!

Yeah, if I really want to get him excited, I recite the constituent companies of the Dow Jones Industrial Average to him.

How do you recite them? By market cap, sector, dated added to the DOW?

Kevin

How do you recite them? By market cap, sector, dated added to the DOW?

Kevin

I prefer chronologically, but Hubby likes it by market cap. When I'm feeling really frisky, I might do it alphabetically.

You do know, don't you, that unlike the S&P 500, the Dow is not market cap weighted--they try to make all the companies affect the number equally.
Spoiler
That's practically foreplay in our house.

Edit: Hubby just sent me another email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back