The Official Banter Away Thread

There are years that I don't have a single price increase to my customers and most years we have gone up it has been 3-5%. We just announced our 3rd increase in 2021 so we are now up 15% this year. With raw material shortages and increases coupled with trucking shortages/cost increases, we are having to keep going up to stay in the black. Plus, I am turning away business due to shortages. Crazy time...

And now gas will be skyrocketing since hackers are holding pipelines hostage. I’m surprised this has not happened sooner. I design control systems every day and the security is a joke.

So I have to ask @JB and @GolferGal , how is Arrow doing with his eye or do you know yet?

So I have to ask @JB and @GolferGal , how is Arrow doing with his eye or do you know yet?

We had quite the scare this morning and the vet delayed surgery to do an ultrasound because she was worried he might have liver cancer. But everything was ok enough for her to feel comfortable moving forward, and he just got out of surgery and she called and said he is doing well! I have a ridiculous amount of meds to give him, at all different times, with a lot of strict instructions, which is going to be a nightmare, but he is ok and that is really all that matters!!

We had quite the scare this morning and the vet delayed surgery to do an ultrasound because she was worried he might have liver cancer. But everything was ok enough for her to feel comfortable moving forward, and he just got out of surgery and she called and said he is doing well! I have a ridiculous amount of meds to give him, at all different times, with a lot of strict instructions, which is going to be a nightmare, but he is ok and that is really all that matters!!
I'm glad he's doing well! 🙂

An instant classic.

My wife will love this, because it contains two of her great loves: Josh Groban and fart references. The only thing lacking for her would be a dog, ideally, a farting dog.

Supply chain issues are a nightmare now. I don’t see how it won’t/can’t negatively affect growth. I know my company is feeling the stress of it all. Good luck

I think the overall economy is seeing a lot of multiple ordering for two reasons. Short term, "m gonna place orders everywhere and hope I get it from somewhere." Longer term, "I'm no longer gonna have a long supply chain and/or single sources, so I'm going to add more sources, and many will be local." When things start to get into a rhythm, I predict we will see wholesale order cancellations.

American brain trying to make sense of that pic for a bit. 😵
Sorry, I should have converted for my American friends:
$ 112.64
Gallons 27.92
$ 4.034 / Gallon

There are years that I don't have a single price increase to my customers and most years we have gone up it has been 3-5%. We just announced our 3rd increase in 2021 so we are now up 15% this year. With raw material shortages and increases coupled with trucking shortages/cost increases, we are having to keep going up to stay in the black. Plus, I am turning away business due to shortages. Crazy time...
One of the guys we golf with owns a construction company, and he said material costs have almost tripled - especially lumber. He has a bunch of homes under contract to be built and he said people are losing their minds at his revised cost estimates.

There's been so many shootings lately in the ghetto area of our province, Surrey and Langley. Think that is the 8th shooting in as many days. Imagine raising kids in that type of environment. Maybe I am spoiled as I grew up in the best area in the province not use to these types of things happening in my area.

One of the guys we golf with owns a construction company, and he said material costs have almost tripled - especially lumber. He has a bunch of homes under contract to be built and he said people are losing their minds at his revised cost estimates.
I make materials for the drywall industry. It is nuts.

So happy to see that Arrow is doing well from the procedure!

Evening THP!!

Glad Arrow is recovering well!!!

Not only the spiraling costs by availability is a huge concern for our industry. Just got called this morning about another 10% increase in millwork. And need to switch color of the steel siding due to availability.:banghead::(

Glad he is doing well... I know how much pets mean and definitely a scary situation and not an easy one. At least he's got a great recovery team! Glad he's ok

Screenshot_20210510-225656__01.jpg

Wish my portfolio was 100% lumber for the year...

$ 112.64
Gallons 27.92
$ 4.034 / Gallon
Depending on Octane, that’s not as bad as I originally thought. I think we paid 3.59 for 89 here and 93 is like 3.99 per gallon.

$ 112.64
Gallons 27.92
$ 4.034 / Gallon
So my approximation still sorta works. I take 4/5 of the $CAD/liter price to get to USD/qt and multiply that by 4 to get to USD/gal. So 0.8*(136/105) = $1.04/dt or $4.14/gal. Close enough for my quick and dirty estimates.

Depending on Octane, that’s not as bad as I originally thought. I think we paid 3.59 for 89 here and 93 is like 3.99 per gallon.
Haha at your taxes. Good lord that is robbery. Just like a few other states. Seeing $1+ More than other areas added to every gallon in just taxes is flat out theft.

I sell building materials (primarily roofing and related products) and it's been insane trying to keep up with price increases. Add on extremely extended lead times and it makes for a tough time. I work with lumber yards and some of these small town yard owners are considering just putting their business up for sale because of the stress of it all.

I sell building materials (primarily roofing and related products) and it's been insane trying to keep up with price increases. Add on extremely extended lead times and it makes for a tough time. I work with lumber yards and some of these small town yard owners are considering just putting their business up for sale because of the stress of it all.
I'm a construction contractor on the Mechanical side and this nonsense is going to basically going to ruin our fiscal year, if not our company.
We've seen price increases of 10-40% on almost everything we use. Contractors with lots of cash are hoarding everything they can get their hands on.

Even if we survive this, builders are already putting all their future projects on hold. Its impossible to bid with any accuracy in this environment.

Back