The Official Patrick Reed thread

I haven't read the whole thread, but have we definitively answered whether pressing your club into the grass behind ball, but not causing the ball to move, is a violation of the rules?

Here is the USGA’s interpretation:

8.1b/1 – Meaning of “Ground the Club Lightly”
Rule 8.1b allows a player to ground the club lightly directly in front of or behind the ball, even if that improves his or her lie or area of intended swing.

“Ground the club lightly” means allowing the weight of the club to be supported by the grass, soil, sand or other material on or above the ground surface.

But the player gets the penalty under Rule 8.1a if he or she improves the lie or area of intended swing by pressing the club down more than lightly.

I guess it comes down to a subjective determination of the meaning of “pressing the club down more than lightly.” I know how I come down on the example at hand.

Fake news. :ROFLMAO:

EVERYONE IS DOING IT.

I guess if there is no enforcement there is no rule. SLOW PLAY FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless your a Chinese teenager at the masters..

I'll be curious to see the results in the next Hovering poll that comes up here every few months :ROFLMAO:

Fake news. :ROFLMAO:

EVERYONE IS DOING IT.
Why did you use the stupid term "fake news"? Only a low life trump idiot would use that term. News is news, meaning it's not made up. If you are a pro-trump POS get off the thread.

Reed has a history of cheating and stealing. He's not worthy of being on the PGA tour. He will be the only player who will end up playing with trump.

Why did you use the stupid term "fake news"? Only a low life trump idiot would use that term. News is news, meaning it's not made up. If you are a pro-trump POS get off the thread.
We have asked you on multiple occasions to stop the political nonsense. This will be the last time it will be mentioned.

This is a golf forum, want to talk nonsense, hammer away on the keyboard on social media.

So Patrick flies over and plays the BMW on the Euro Tour and receives nothing but love for him making the effort to play there. Much positive press and pleasantries from everyone.

Patrick shot a swift 64 to take the lead in the European tour. He stands to become the first American to win the season long race.

Just finished catching up on the European tour and wow his approach game is on point as is his putting.

Well here we go with more Patrick/Brandle fun! Reed is the biggest cheater in the game and Brandle is ripping him a new one right now on TGC.

Well here we go with more Patrick/Brandle fun! Reed is the biggest cheater in the game and Brandle is ripping him a new one right now on TGC.
So the PGA agreed with Reed but he cheated? So meaybe they need your resume to clean things up.

Brandle C. said that Reed palmed the ball.....I didn't see that.....LOL!

Here is the USGA’s interpretation:

8.1b/1 – Meaning of “Ground the Club Lightly”
Rule 8.1b allows a player to ground the club lightly directly in front of or behind the ball, even if that improves his or her lie or area of intended swing.

“Ground the club lightly” means allowing the weight of the club to be supported by the grass, soil, sand or other material on or above the ground surface.

But the player gets the penalty under Rule 8.1a if he or she improves the lie or area of intended swing by pressing the club down more than lightly.

I guess it comes down to a subjective determination of the meaning of “pressing the club down more than lightly.” I know how I come down on the example at hand.

I ranted on this a while back. They all do this to IMPROVE their lie. The club is not resting on the ground behind the ball. They are pressing the sole down to clear the path for a clean hit. Worst of all I've seen the ball move and the player thinks nothing of it.

Who/when was the last player to call a penalty on themself?

I mean, without another player there and or a rules official he’s not allowed to just pick up the ball. First thing is that someone else needs to be there to witness what’s going on.

His playing partners refused to comment after the round. That tells you all you need to know. If this was a clean ruling they would talk, instead they stay quiet to not get fined

I ranted on this a while back. They all do this to IMPROVE their lie. The club is not resting on the ground behind the ball. They are pressing the sole down to clear the path for a clean hit. Worst of all I've seen the ball move and the player thinks nothing of it.

Who/when was the last player to call a penalty on themself?

It happens more often than you would think.

Reed cheated today and that's all I have to say about that.

I mean, without another player there and or a rules official he’s not allowed to just pick up the ball. First thing is that someone else needs to be there to witness what’s going on.

I think they modified that rule, actually. Nothing here saying he can't mark to identify (or I guess in this case verify ground condition). This rule used to require calling out the decision to check.

7.3 Lifting Ball to Identify It
If a ball might be a player’s ball but cannot be identified as it lies:
  • The player may lift the ball to identify it (including by rotating it), but:
  • The spot of the ball must first be marked, and the ball must not be cleaned more than needed to identify it (except on the putting green) (see Rule 14.1)

So the PGA agreed with Reed but he cheated? So meaybe they need your resume to clean things up.

It is also in the best interest of the PGA tour to assure us all that it was on the up and up. It's their arse too.

First of all, what's this BS about whether he knew that it bounced or not? Was it embedded Patrick or not? It's as simple as that. We all know and Patrick confirmed that it's impossible that the ball was actually embedded. It was not. Why did he claim it to be?

Does Patrick lift it briefly and then place it back and stand up up summoning the official? No, he hovered over it palming it and poking at the dirt screwing around with the ball and the impression. THEN, he called the official.

This is very bad. Reed fans should unfollow this thread for a while.

Back