The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is really a rant but I had seen the coolest thing ever on my way home from work this morning. As I was driving on the highway I pulled up next to a car going a little slower and glanced over for a second and watched a guy pour frosted flakes into a bowl while he was driving. So I waited a few seconds to see what he was gonna do and next thong I know he's pouring a cup of milk in. I think that's some mad skills there, only in Ohio

Not sure if this is really a rant but I had seen the coolest thing ever on my way home from work this morning. As I was driving on the highway I pulled up next to a car going a little slower and glanced over for a second and watched a guy pour frosted flakes into a bowl while he was driving. So I waited a few seconds to see what he was gonna do and next thong I know he's pouring a cup of milk in. I think that's some mad skills there, only in Ohio

Dude, you needed pics or video. That is awesome.

I know. Could have sent it in to americas funniest videos or something

I was laughing pretty hard picturing it. That would have made my day.

Coaching isn't lessons dude. Lessons are lessons.

He's not a swing coach, he's a team coach. Managing the team

Ill agree here. His job is to manage the team, not give lessons.

On the flip side, isnt your job as a coach to make your players better? For example, a baseball coach see's his player struggling to hit a curveball, does he just say, "Go get a lesson" or does he help.

On the flip side, isnt your job as a coach to make your players better? For example, a baseball coach see's his player struggling to hit a curveball, does he just say, "Go get a lesson" or does he help.

Well ideally a head coach has a hitting coach who does those things. In college anyways my head coach never worked with players, but he identified weaknesses and we figured a way to fix them. Whether that be work on our own or with hitting/pitching coach.

If you can't hit a curveball you aren't long for the baseball world hehe

Actually no. In most cases, a coaches job is to put his team in the best position to win and keep players safe.
And in todays day and age with every parent believing their kid is a meal ticket, you mess with the swing, you hear from "dad" saying we have a coach for that. You cant win.

Actually no. In most cases, a coaches job is to put his team in the best position to win and keep players safe.
And in todays day and age with every parent believing their kid is a meal ticket, you mess with the swing, you hear from "dad" saying we have a coach for that. You cant win.

Not to mention if a coach screws a kids swing up, and he kid was "going pro", there's probably going to be legal ramifications.

'Merica: land of the free and home of the lawsuit.

Edit: adding quotes to "going pro" because there is a huge difference between going pro, and "going pro". Tianlang Guan is going pro. Oregon jack is "going pro".... :alien:

Agreed, but in fairness Most hitting coaches one will see in middle school or high school will be more qualified than their head coach. I have seen some good players given some awful advice from their high school coaches. Many of them are clueless, but the guys that get paid 80 bucks an hour for a hitting lesson tend to have much more knowledge of the game

Phil

Do you drink a lot of ice tea??

Nope, I have a kidney doctor. He has me drink mostly water, Powerade or Gatorade during the heat and exercise. No big habits.

Thats pretty shocking to me. I have never had a golf coach or played on a golf team. So they really are there for "strategy"?

Thats pretty shocking to me. I have never had a golf coach or played on a golf team. So they really are there for "strategy"?

Sure they are. They make cuts and choose alternates for try outs and rally their troops. Golf team coaches are supposed to give good pep talks.

Course management discussions should be included too.

Sure they are. They make cuts and choose alternates for try outs and rally their troops. Golf team coaches are supposed to give good pep talks.

Course management discussions should be included too.

That was my point. That's all they are there for. They arent there to give tips or help with the players swings or anything? That is odd to me but for the reasons you, Taylor, and Josh gave above, makes sense.

Because golf lessons are mostly based on methods, it's wrong in the competitive golf world to give a kid a lesson based on a different method than the method he is using to be currently successful.

MANY parents try to make the kids into mini tour pros with gym and mental coaching and swing coach and nutritionist. Etc. they'd get mad if someone tried to initiate a "swing change".

Dog woke me at 4 am demanding a trip outside. I live downtown in a secure building on the 4th floor. I didn't get dressed, armed with the dog on a leash in my PJs, I headed out with one eye open. Forgot my door transponder (on my keychain.) Remy and I got to watch the sunrise on the bench out front.

Because golf lessons are mostly based on methods, it's wrong in the competitive golf world to give a kid a lesson based on a different method than the method he is using to be currently successful.

MANY parents try to make the kids into mini tour pros with gym and mental coaching and swing coach and nutritionist. Etc. they'd get mad if someone tried to initiate a "swing change".

LOL why do you keep replying saying the same thing I am agreeing with you on...haha I am not arguing with you. Agree to agree.

LOL why do you keep replying saying the same thing I am agreeing with you on...haha I am not arguing with you. Agree to agree.

I demand a hug on Saturday. Not a bro hug handshake and pull in and tap.

Two arms out, two steps forward.

I demand a hug on Saturday. Not a bro hug handshake and pull in and tap.

Two arms out, two steps forward.

Haha deal. Careful what you wish for....haha

That was my point. That's all they are there for. They arent there to give tips or help with the players swings or anything? That is odd to me but for the reasons you, Taylor, and Josh gave above, makes sense.

My high school coach was a good golfer, but he didn't teach us much. The assistant coach did almost all the teaching since he is actually a really good golfer. The head coach didn't actually do anything, which is good because Mr. Kornheiser was much cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back