The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to play an inter-club tournament today and I've got some kind of kidney ailment. We are hosting 8 or so other clubs from NW Florida and Alabama in a rotating monthly tournament. I love these, but, I'm hurting. Can't bail at the last minute because it really screws up the pairings. So, I'll be popping 800 mg of ibuprofen and toughing it out.
Ken, if you're truly having kidney issues NSAIDS are probably NOT the route you'll want to go. I'd seriously call your doctor before popping any pills today.

Well spring break here and that means I have a flexible week. Mrs. cowdog has to work, so I had planned on a staycation filled with excessive golf. Hello Mother Nature. What's that? You are not done with winter? Oh. OK.

Well spring break here and that means I have a flexible week. Mrs. cowdog has to work, so I had planned on a staycation filled with excessive golf. Hello Mother Nature. What's that? You are not done with winter? Oh. OK.

Must be getting close there right?

One of my co-workers is working with a collaborator to get a big funding grant proposal completed. He asked if I would mind lending some support to the project. I said I didn't and to just let me know what he needed from me. That was about a month ago.

Got in today and read my emails ... over the weekend he sent me a bunch of requests for write-ups, conflict of interest lists, ethical forms, current funding statements, etc. When does he need them? COB today.

You've got to be freaking kidding me ... thanks for screwing me over today dude. Best part, he's out of the country so I can't not only tell him he screwed me, but can't even clarify things with him if I have any questions.

I would tell him it's a few days of work and that he's SOL. I'm assuming all this needs to be done on top of your current responsibilities?

One of my co-workers is working with a collaborator to get a big funding grant proposal completed. He asked if I would mind lending some support to the project. I said I didn't and to just let me know what he needed from me. That was about a month ago.

Got in today and read my emails ... over the weekend he sent me a bunch of requests for write-ups, conflict of interest lists, ethical forms, current funding statements, etc. When does he need them? COB today.

You've got to be freaking kidding me ... thanks for screwing me over today dude. Best part, he's out of the country so I can't not only tell him he screwed me, but can't even clarify things with him if I have any questions.

I would reply with: "Unfortunately I was unavailable this weekend to review your requests. Please reply at OUR earliest convenience so we can move forward with this project." (let him wonder if you omitted the Y in your or see if the politeness settles in)

I'd reply that a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Nothing like eating lunch at your desk just to see an email from a new large client come in with the subject "WHO BLEEPED UP!!!!"

Long story short we're in the clear but a vendor didn't communicate some specific setup instructions causing said client to lose phone service for part of today. I think it's just a case of too many cooks in the kitchen on email threads, but my appetite is now long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been golfing for 2 weeks. Crazy early. I was hoping the weather would hold for this week. Looking at my skis again.

Yeah same as us basically, most courses now open

I'd reply that a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

I would reply with: "Unfortunately I was unavailable this weekend to review your requests. Please reply at OUR earliest convenience so we can move forward with this project." (let him wonder if you omitted the Y in your or see if the politeness settles in)

I would tell him it's a few days of work and that he's SOL. I'm assuming all this needs to be done on top of your current responsibilities?
I debated telling my co-worker to go pound sand, but we just wrote an internal research plan for the next five years and he and I will be joined at the hip for part of it. I already managed to get it put together. If it's correct I don't know (I've never written one of these before), and it's a bit too late now to figure that out so ... oh well. Plus, I told him "no go" on his request to add someone to a paper I'm writing who didn't do any work ... but the co-worker wanted to do this guy a solid (by getting me to do it) to get in his good graces.

Funnily enough, a collaborator of mine just asked me if I wanted to work with him on a different grant (from the same funding agency). He asked me about a half-dozen questions, I responded and he said he'd take care of the rest ... no shaking me down for last minute writeups. Plus I'll wind up getting about 4x as much money. Go figure.

Ken, if you're truly having kidney issues NSAIDS are probably NOT the route you'll want to go. I'd seriously call your doctor before popping any pills today.

Agree 1000% NSAID's no bueno for bad kidneys. Feel better Ken!

Agree 1000% NSAID's no bueno for bad kidneys. Feel better Ken!

Well, I didn't see your posts before leaving for the course, so went ahead with the NSAIDS. I thought I read somewhere that they were usually recommended for kidney stones. Not sure if that's what the problem might be, but, was able to play the round, and had a good time. My team shot 19 under (Best Ball) and finished 6th. I thought we played pretty well, but, you know how some of these can go. The winning team was 26 under.

I don't seem any worse for playing. Still a little nagging flank pain, but, I'll avoid the NSAIDS and maybe go with Tylenol or something if I need it. Might go see the doc if it gets any worse. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Is there anything worse than shopping for new tires? Ugh.

Is there anything worse than shopping for new tires? Ugh.

What's the issue? Just check out tirerack and the reviews and try to find best price from there.

The last two weeks of work have got me pretty stretched thin. To say I'm a little fried would be an understatement.

Shipping, importing, and a weak dollar pretty much kills any American distributor. Or am I missing something?

Oh yeah...forgot about that :(

Shipping, importing, and a weak dollar pretty much kills any American distributor. Or am I missing something?

Can you have them shipped to an installer just over the boarder to save on the shipping? I actually almost never order from tirerack either though, I just go there for all of the reviews.

Pretty sure the Callaway tip I ordered is garbage. :angry: Why is it so difficult to find good ones?

Well, hopefully the ridiculous plummeting of our luck has ended after today, since it probably can't get much worse:

Our final round of fertility treatments came to a halt today. We were going in for transfer of one of our final 3 eggs (that were harvested 5 days ago). Turns out all 3 ended up not being viable. We can't do anymore treatments, since it is now out of reach financially, as well as potentially not safe medically for the wife now.

On to option B now, looking into adoption.

Hope everything turns around for you dude.

Well, hopefully the ridiculous plummeting of our luck has ended after today, since it probably can't get much worse:

Our final round of fertility treatments came to a halt today. We were going in for transfer of one of our final 3 eggs (that were harvested 5 days ago). Turns out all 3 ended up not being viable. We can't do anymore treatments, since it is now out of reach financially, as well as potentially not safe medically for the wife now.

On to option B now, looking into adoption.
Sorry Brad, I can't even imagine what yall are going through. I am sure the adoption path will be rewarding though. I know it has its own sets of trials, but I know it will be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back