The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

Oh really...I'm not sure if that's a good thing for him to switch the week of a major. If I were him I'd be more focused on making putts inside 3 feet, which is truly his Achilles heel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I read that he said the M2's gave him a different ball flight/shot shape that he felt suited Augusta specifically better.

As for his putting...who knows. He hasn't really putted that well in a few years.

I believe I read that he said the M2's gave him a different ball flight/shot shape that he felt suited Augusta specifically better.

As for his putting...who knows. He hasn't really putted that well in a few years.

Hmmm should be interesting. I want him to be on the leaderboard so bad but I just don't trust him

Hmmm should be interesting. I want him to be on the leaderboard so bad but I just don't trust him

I think the masters makes him go a little crazy. I doubt he sleeps much this week every year. I would love for him to win it though.

I think the masters makes him go a little crazy. I doubt he sleeps much this week every year. I would love for him to win it though.

Same. I might be wishing here but I'd love to see Rory and spieth in the last group and maybe rickie and DJ in the group in the front of them on Sunday!

He has swapped out his Epic fairway woods for the M2 line this week at the Masters.
I don’t think him switching clubs will have the same impact on his game, as compared to how it would impact the game of us mere mortal amateurs. It’s probably a safe guess to say that he’s had a lot of time with the M2 line.

I don’t think him switching clubs will have the same impact on his game, as compared to how it would impact the game of us mere mortal amateurs. It’s probably a safe guess to say that he’s had a lot of time with the M2 line.

True but I agree with cbaker in the fact that he probably puts too much pressure on himself this week and over analyzes everything.

He has swapped out his Epic fairway woods for the M2 line this week at the Masters.

Before a major that's pretty gutsy but huge move. He had the m2 during the Ryder Cup so it's not a completely foreign club to him.

I guess you didn't watch the FedEx Cup playoffs or the Ryder Cup last year.

Rory hasn't finished out of the top 10 in any stroke play tournament he's played this year. I don't think that changes this weekend.

I guess you didn't watch the FedEx Cup playoffs or the Ryder Cup last year.

Rory hasn't finished out of the top 10 in any stroke play tournament he's played this year. I don't think that changes this weekend.

Regarding his putting? Doesn't he lead or finish very high in proximity to hole on approach shots every week? He should be a top 5 putter at those distances. Which he is not. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Rory fan and believe if he's clicking then no one can touch him, but his putting hasn't been good.

Hmm very cool info. Love seeing these guys tinker and swap!

If Rory thinks his biggest issue right now is his FWs then I think that bodes well for him because he has been ripping the Epics lol.

*checks fantasy golf to make sure he hasn't selected Rory for this week*

That seems like a bad plan. Even if they do fit Augusta better, I'd think he's better off playing what he's comfortable with. I'm not a world class golfer though.

Don't like that decision to do before a major championship. Go with what got you there.

That seems like a bad plan. Even if they do fit Augusta better, I'd think he's better off playing what he's comfortable with. I'm not a world class golfer though.

I don't think he has much issue changing equipment. In stroke play, he hasn't finished outside the top 10 since the BMW, which followed the Deutsche Bank, which he won. In that time, he's gone from Nike, to Taylormade, to Callaway.

PGATour power rankings have Rory at #1 and DJ at #2.

PGATour power rankings have Rory at #1 and DJ at #2.

I want Rory to win as much as anyone, but how Spieth isn't #1 at this place right now I have no idea. Absolutely torched the field 2 years ago, and last year would have done it again apart from 1 hole.

I want Rory to win as much as anyone, but how Spieth isn't #1 at this place right now I have no idea. Absolutely torched the field 2 years ago, and last year would have done it again apart from 1 hole.

Hasn't been as sharp lately as he was leading into the previous Masters(?)

last Masters was interesting. I mean Spieth played really well in the opening round(68), and then kind of just held on to that as he went 74/73/73. The good thing for him is he has a green jacket or we'd be talking about a man blowing a 5 shot lead from when he stood on the 10th tee.

Either way, I'd put him 2nd in my list. DJ - Spieth - Rory. If the course plays soft, I really like Rory's chances.

I don't think he has much issue changing equipment. In stroke play, he hasn't finished outside the top 10 since the BMW, which followed the Deutsche Bank, which he won. In that time, he's gone from Nike, to Taylormade, to Callaway.

I was mostly joking about not using him this week, but I don't see him closing this one out. I think DJ has a better shot. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him get the slam, and I'm a big fan, I just don't think he's got it this week.

last Masters was interesting. I mean Spieth played really well in the opening round(68), and then kind of just held on to that as he went 74/73/73. The good thing for him is he has a green jacket or we'd be talking about a man blowing a 5 shot lead from when he stood on the 10th tee.

Either way, I'd put him 2nd in my list. DJ - Spieth - Rory. If the course plays soft, I really like Rory's chances.

That's true. I can agree with everything you said.

Hmm very cool info. Love seeing these guys tinker and swap!

If Rory thinks his biggest issue right now is his FWs then I think that bodes well for him because he has been ripping the Epics lol.

I know right? haha maybe he is planning on attacking the course with primarily fairway woods from the tee.

His odds have actually increased today and now he is matching the amount of money being put on Jordan. Both are still behind DJ of course.

Regarding his putting? Doesn't he lead or finish very high in proximity to hole on approach shots every week? He should be a top 5 putter at those distances. Which he is not. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Rory fan and believe if he's clicking then no one can touch him, but his putting hasn't been good.

#33 on Tour last year in proximity to the hole on approach shots, #31 on Tour last year in strokes gained on approach shots: http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28237.rory-mcilroy.html/statistics

His major advantage comes off of the tee, not on his approach shots.

Hasn't been as sharp lately as he was leading into the previous Masters(?)

Last yea the was t145ish for GIR on the season with 64%. This gear and 2015 he is near the top with 75% but his pitting this year is not so good. He has a 2nd place in first time at Augusta, win his second time and 2nd place in his third trip. He should be top 1-2 to win

First event back and he finished t3. M3 driver and wood, MG wedges and Mullen putter with red insert. Impressive first tourney back and with new gear.

Rory has only had 1 year where he has finished in the top 50 in putting and unless he can do that, he won’t dominate professional golf. We’ll see if he can putt better this year.

Back