The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

Rory has only had 1 year where he has finished in the top 50 in putting and unless he can do that, he won’t dominate professional golf. We’ll see if he can putt better this year.
Yep, he's one of the streakiest putters ever.

Rory has only had 1 year where he has finished in the top 50 in putting and unless he can do that, he won’t dominate professional golf. We’ll see if he can putt better this year.

And yet 2013 and last year were the only years he didn't won on PGA tour or Euro Tour (won Australian Open in 2013, hurt last year) 2009 and 2010 were the only year he hasn't won't more than once.

And yet 2013 and last year were the only years he didn't won on PGA tour or Euro Tour (won Australian Open in 2013, hurt last year) 2009 and 2010 were the only year he hasn't won't more than once.

Not getting your point?

Not getting your point?

That he wins despite his putting.

And I agree with that, but his putting will keep him from ever going on a Tiger like tear, he is just absurdly streaky there, to the point that it has always hurt my head.

And I agree with that, but his putting will keep him from ever going on a Tiger like tear, he is just absurdly streaky there, to the point that it has always hurt my head.

His streakiness was at least explainable when he was using that Stockton "hinge & hold" putting stroke for a few years, but lately I'm not sure what exactly is holding him back in that regard.
He putted pretty well in Abu Dhabi this weekend so hopefully it's the sign of things to come.

Not getting your point?

This. Despite his sub par putting he’s been able to win and also get 4 majors and a collapse away from career grand slam. He has 13 wins a piece on Euro and PGA tour.

I also agree with Jman that unless his putting improves he will be streaky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man after that long layoff nobody could've predicted this. So happy for him and expect him to have a huge bounce back year.

He's playing the Valspar in March for the first time. Safe to say I'm going to meet him.

His streakiness was at least explainable when he was using that Stockton "hinge & hold" putting stroke for a few years, but lately I'm not sure what exactly is holding him back in that regard.
He putted pretty well in Abu Dhabi this weekend so hopefully it's the sign of things to come.

Might just be mental, when he starts off hot you can SEE his confidence on the greens the rest of the week, then we just get to hold on and enjoy because its special!

This. Despite his sub par putting he’s been able to win and also get 4 majors and a collapse away from career grand slam. He has 13 wins a piece on Euro and PGA tour.

I also agree with Jman that unless his putting improves he will be streaky.

Yep, and hey, I love watching even a streaky Rors, dude is a beast.

Yes he does and could have a lot more of he a top 50 putter.

imagine if he and DJ were consitently top 50 putters on tour?

That would be epic golf. They would put fear in everyone on tour.

Might just be mental, when he starts off hot you can SEE his confidence on the greens the rest of the week, then we just get to hold on and enjoy because its special!

Yep, and hey, I love watching even a streaky Rors, dude is a beast.

I agree that it's mental...I think he is one where you can see the brain affect him on the course and he is one I could watch all day regardless of how he is playing. He absolutely murders the ball and that sound from his driver is different. I'm hoping that this week is a precursor to what we see this year and IMO he's had to watch DJ, Rose, JT and Fleetwood in the Euro events just go off the last year and he wants to be back in the discussion and winning majors and multiple events per years.

With DJ finding a fix to some of his putting woes, Rory, the young guys that stepped up last year like Rahm and JT and the potential for some others this year we are in for a fun 2018 on tour. Plus it's a Ryder Cup year so guys on both sides are going to be pushing to get the points to qualify or make a case for a capt pick

Finished 2nd this week. First week back gets a 3rd and now a 2nd. He’s coming back strong from his injuries. Can’t wait to see what he does when he comes back to Pga tour

Finished 2nd this week. First week back gets a 3rd and now a 2nd. He’s coming back strong from his injuries. Can’t wait to see what he does when he comes back to Pga tour

2nd place whilst playing extremely average in rounds 3 and 4.
Man I hope he comes back this year in a big way.

Me too! He is just fun to watch.

I can't wait for the tournament when he is on all 4 days. IMO, when he is on there is no one more fun to watch.

I watched a good bit of Saturday and Sunday live ( thank you new puppy) and he looked good. His putting will always dictate how he goes, but he’s healthy, ball striking looks good and he seems focused.

I agree they were average rounds by his standards and I hope we see a good 2018 out of him.

I'm excited that we get to see him play so much Stateside over the next few months. If he doesn't change his schedule, this is where he's scheduled to play before the Masters:
Pebble Beach
Riviera
Honda Classic (PGA National)
Valspar (Tampa)
Bay Hill
WGC-Match Play (Austin)

I'm excited that we get to see him play so much Stateside over the next few months. If he doesn't change his schedule, this is where he's scheduled to play before the Masters:
Pebble Beach
Riviera
Honda Classic (PGA National)
Valspar (Tampa)
Bay Hill
WGC-Match Play (Austin)

talking to some people who help run the SHO, there's an outside chance he plays here before the Masters. If that happens, i'll be out there to watch him live. Never have.

Just saw an article on GC that says Rory will appear on Grand Tour's Celebrity Face Off - opposite Paris Hilton.

Surely the pinnacle of his year, the remainder of which will certainly be all downhill from this monumental acknowledgement of success.

I think this could be really cool in all honesty. It's a good segment, and he's one of the top 4 or 5 golfers I would want representing golf in that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alright so when you see a stat like this it’s like “what gives?” I was super hyped on Rory coming into this year and his start in Europe solidified that to me. Then it’s just been a complete mess over here in the states.

No problem piping drives 330+, iron striking. But that putter man.

e5cb3e6309479eca2f06e5d2c4993756.jpg

I couldn't believe how light the crowd was for Rory today. Once Tiger was done I thought a bunch of people would jump over to follow Rors, Rose and Woodland but that was just not the case.

This was his entire gallery.
5a0403f6888b35c45a82c3b265655332.jpg

Back