The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Again, he asked the crowd to move a boulder. I know it only happened once, but you can't have it both ways. He circumvented the rules because he had enough big guys in the boulder situation, but I assume all the Tiger fans thought that was ok. But don't get a penalty called on the guy.

He screwed up, no way around it. I'm not debating or arguing that. I was just curious which one made a situation better than the other. I would think though someone inquiring in person with a situation where there could be a no proof situation vs a call in via TV is worse.

He screwed up, no way around it. I'm not debating or arguing that. I was just curious which one made a situation better than the other. I would think though someone inquiring in person with a situation where there could be a no proof situation vs a call in via TV is worse.

I would guess if they couldn't prove it by video, then it wouldn't matter what the spectator saw.

The main difference is directly engaging a rules official versus calling a TV station

You can't fight to make it a 1 stroke penalty after the fact, and I think Rory was less comfortable with his swing than his sticks.

Well from my understanding the rules are different in that tournament and pentalies...etc so I would have done some research and fighting over the scenario is what I meant...the question has even came into play in my head....did he really know the rule and tried to get away with a fast one and Martin Kaymer went along with it not wanting to go against the mighty TIGER! Well confidence lacking in his swing would be in my mind from the performance he was experiencing from the clubs!

I've been avoiding this thread because i'm just not into this sort of thing. I get why people are, I don't pass judgement, I just try not to have it for me.

that said, my armchair no knowledge whatsoever opinion is this: she's the mother of his kids, that's a really big deal, they'll always have that connection and that will always be important whatever their feelings aside from that are towards each other.

Another armchair thought is that tiger's parents were divorced, he's been through that and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to avoid that life for his kids. Yes it is entirely his fault and we can pile on the perkins jokes (a tremendous 12, if you will), and he's earned every bit of it. Doesn't exclude him from being capable of understanding how that divorced life goes for kids and now being the father he doesn't want to subject his kids to that path.

I don't know, because I really don't know anything about these people or their situation; it's just a thought.

The part I don't get is the rules should go to the least number of strokes taken away. He is allowed to take an unplayable there and take a one stroke penalty as he clearly dropped within one club distance. Instead they chose to apply a two stroke penalty. The rules official should have told him when they approached him later in the round that he couldn't get the free drop for it being embedded and had to apply a one stroke penalty for being an unplayable ball and adjust the score card accordingly.

In either case, from the article I read it was another case of someone not involved in the tournament who questioned a rules official about Tiger getting a free drop there. I am personally against people outside of the tournament who are not players whether on the course or watching TV dictating the outcome of any players score.

This is what i was saying about a 1 stroke pentaly being applied not 2...something with all of this does not fall into place in my eyes!

I've been avoiding this thread because i'm just not into this sort of thing. I get why people are, I don't pass judgement, I just try not to have it for me.

that said, my armchair no knowledge whatsoever opinion is this: she's the mother of his kids, that's a really big deal, they'll always have that connection and that will always be important whatever their feelings aside from that are towards each other.

Another armchair thought is that tiger's parents were divorced, he's been through that and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to avoid that life for his kids. Yes it is entirely his fault and we can pile on the perkins jokes (a tremendous 12, if you will), and he's earned every bit of it. Doesn't exclude him from being capable of understanding how that divorced life goes for kids and now being the father he doesn't want to subject his kids to that path.

I don't know, because I really don't know anything about these people or their situation; it's just a thought.

I really like this post.

I have been saying this all along and agree 100% He is playing a Nike made version of a scotty.....GSS instead of 303 stainless steel just as I think Tiger is as well! Regardless rory choked!

Show me which rule mentions anything about a "sandy area" being part of any course. The golf course is made up of the teeing ground, through the green, the putting green, and hazards. Period. If an area with sand is not hazard, then it is by definition through the green.

Rule 25-2

That isn't necessarily true. You can't fall back on the embedded ball rule (Rule 25-2) if your ball is embedded in a bunker. Lots of courses these days have sandy areas which are not bunkers, not hazards, just through the green. The PGA Tour plays the local rule which allows relief from an embedded ball through the green, even though Rule 25-2 only allows it in closely mowed areas (fairway height or closer). I don't know how the EPGA plays it, and I don't know where Tiger's ball was since I didn't see the broadcast. But a ball can certainly be embedded in it's own pitch mark in a sandy waste area and receive relief in a US PGA Tour event.

Sand is sand.

Don't argue fourputt on the rules. He is never wrong lol

There are entire courses built on sand, that is sand under the turf.

This was sand under the vines.

TTing

Sand is sand.

On this you are wrong (not all sand is a bunker, and sand not part of a bunker is treated differently from sand in a bunker), but I was wrong on my contention that he might be allowed relief. Even the local rule has a specific exception for a ball embedded in sand not in a closely mowed area through the green. I had never had reason to read the entire rule before as it is rarely used in amateur tournaments. This is the distinction which cost Tiger a penalty.

This is the recommended wording for implementing this local rule:

a. Relief for Embedded Ball

Rule 25-2 provides relief, without penalty, for a ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in any closely mown area through the green. On the putting green, a ball may be lifted and damage caused by the impact of a ball may be repaired (Rules 16-1b and c). When permission to take relief for an embedded ball anywhere through the green would be warranted, the following Local Rule is recommended:
“Through the green, a ball that is embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground may be lifted, without penalty, cleaned and dropped as near as possible to where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.
Exceptions:
1. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if the ball is embedded in sand in an area that is not closely mown.
2. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if interference by anything other than the condition covered by this Local Rule makes the stroke clearly impracticable.

Don't argue fourputt on the rules. He is never wrong lol

There are entire courses built on sand, that is sand under the turf.

This was sand under the vines.

TTing

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I was wrong on this one. From now on, I'll try harder to live up to your opinion of me.:confused2:

Last edited:
Who really cares. It's one tourney. Tiger messed up and missed the cut. Even if he had made it he likely would not have finished well anyways. He'll move on to the next one. And I can't wait to watch him play in it.

Anyone know when his next tournament is?

accenture match play

New to the forum so sorry if this has been mentioned before but would just like to say that to get to 75 pga tour wins in less than 300 events is a absolute staggering accomplishment

[video=youtube;bulLh_-Fal8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bulLh_-Fal8[/video]

New commercial featuring Mr. Woods himself. I liked it.

That's a funny commercial.

I thought it was a good commercial, I was curious that Rory didn't make an appearance! And that it's for a club Tiger doesn't even play!

I thought it was a good commercial, I was curious that Rory didn't make an appearance! And that it's for a club Tiger doesn't even play!

I'd guess they have a Rory commercial in queue too

Though Rory is a big name, Tiger will still be the face of Nike golf. Casual golfers and non-golfers are more likely to recognize him over Rory.

Though it was a cool commercial.

I just read a fantastic article about Tiger and his swing changes. Think it was on ESPN. I also read a stat that when Tiger wins at Torrey, he wins a major that year. I'm betting he wins 1 this year. I will see if I can get a link on that article

Hate that he doesn't play pebble...

Just saw this commercial, pretty funny, my favorite was the guy saying "sorry!" then turns around to his friends and says "no I'm not".

Back