The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I am not sure if Tiger's issues are back/mental/short game or all of the above.. I tend to believe it is a bit of all of that, but I do like seeing him play well. I think it is good for golf, and I am a Tiger fan. Looking forward to seeing him at Augusta.

I still believe its his short game. Have for 3 years and will till he turns it around. He was the best putter in the game inside of 15 feet for a decade. He is no where near that right now. He was lethal getting up and down with creativity and his wedge play for a decade. Now every time he has one in his hands, I fear the Foley is coming.

I think it's a bit more putter personally. He had 5 three putts this week. FIVE. What the hell. You don't win tournaments, yet alone majors, when you're throwing shots away. How many other putts did he miss inside 10ft this week? Answer: too many. What good is the short game if you can't make the putt?

Don't get me wrong, he had some poor wedge shots inside 100yds even by amateur standards. That putter though.

Just taking yesterday's round as an example, he was actually positive in the strokes gained putting stat on the day despite shooting 78. That tells you that his putting wasn't the big issue, it was the ball-striking, which is to be expected since the back injury was affecting his full swings. I didn't get to see the full 3rd round, but watch a highlight tape of all of his birdies in the 3rd round. I didn't see him make any super long putts, nothing looked to be over about 20 feet. That tells me that his ball-striking was superb in the 3rd round, but hasn't been the case in most rounds this year. Sure, some of the shots around the greens aren't all that good by his standards, but I think it's more long game than short game in terms of why he's not playing well this year.

On the back 9 alone he made putts of 22 and 35 ft.

His whole game is in the crapper, he goes both left and right now and every shot in unpredictable. I personally think it's a game of no confidence, he only gets one or two good rounds in and it's not good enough to come back and win like he used to be able too. His long game is terrible, his short game has vanished, and his confidence is stalled. I think the back problem is magnified by poor play.

Lol, he was back and now he's gone again.

His whole game is in the crapper, he goes both left and right now and every shot in unpredictable. I personally think it's a game of no confidence, he only gets one or two good rounds in and it's not good enough to come back and win like he used to be able too. His long game is terrible, his short game has vanished, and his confidence is stalled. I think the back problem is magnified by poor play.

Lol, he was back and now he's gone again.

If there is a saving grace, Bay Hill could make people say "he looked like the Tiger of old". Few courses he has played as much as that one being across the lake from his old house and no need for driver at all. And the Masters is setup for him and always has been. Its perfect for his game and he knows where to miss.

Not hitting spectators so frequently off the tee would be a good way of at least minimizing the damage and giving himself a shot out there. Dude is just spraying right wayyyy too often. Old Tiger was never that frequently.

If there is a saving grace, Bay Hill could make people say "he looked like the Tiger of old". Few courses he has played as much as that one being across the lake from his old house and no need for driver at all. And the Masters is setup for him and always has been. Its perfect for his game and he knows where to miss.

You're definitely right about Bay Hill, He's owned that place. You think Augusta is still set up for him even though he's spraying it all over the place? I'm not so sure anymore, he's lost the ability to get up and down quite a bit and his creativity has all but vanished.

You're definitely right about Bay Hill, He's owned that place. You think Augusta is still set up for him even though he's spraying it all over the place? I'm not so sure anymore, he's lost the ability to get up and down quite a bit and his creativity has all but vanished.

We are on the same page. His short game has vanished for 2 out of every 4 rounds. That wont hurt him at Bay Hill and if he plays it (I think he does to get the W) he could win that with few issues.

The masters has shown that even an average Tiger playing 1-2 good rounds can be top 10. I think he makes a run. I have said for 6 months now I think he wins it going away this year, but I also expected him to be playing a bit better.

Funny how he looks sore only when he's playing bad?

Huh... you have cause and effect backwards. He plays bad when every swing hurts. Time to give the hate a rest. Sheesh!

I think someone already called it a choke. Started complaining about the back yesterday on 16, wasn't very loose during warm ups. For those of you who have never had back issues, you have no idea what it's like to play a normal round let alone a final round in a PGA tournament with back pain. I played with 2 herniated discs for 3 years and when you're not feeling pain you tend to hit good shots. When that thing decides to jump up and grab you....you hit bad shots. And there's no working around it. If my wriat hurts i can wrap it or make a change to try and stay away from it. Back pain is like no other pain. You don't realize how much you rely on that part of your body until it's hurt.

I haven't heard his post round comments, but I don't think he's ever 100% blamed his back or anything other than his poor play for his scores. I grow weary of the "He only grimaces when he hits a bad shot." Started back in 09.

Oh well... Tiger critics will be tiger critics. Nothing will ever change them

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Amen, brother, AMEN!

Not once have I said I don't like TW. I just think he's a poor loser and gets his sulk on when things aren't going his way. This recent back injury thing annoys me, he looked fine shooting 66 yet as soon as he starts playing badly he begins wincing etc.

Not once have I said I don't like TW. I just think he's a poor loser and gets his sulk on when things aren't going his way. This recent back injury thing annoys me, he looked fine shooting 66 yet as soon as he starts playing badly he begins wincing etc.

I think you're looking at it backwards. Perhaps he looked fine Saturday and shot 66 because his back felt better?? Sunday his back flared up and caused him pain and he couldnt make good shots. Give it a rest. I agree his game is a bit all over right now and his short game could use some help but only wincing after bad shots as if he's faking? Ehh

I don't know if you have ever had back spasms, but they can come out of nowhere. I've played a round of golf where I felt great all the way up to the 18th tee box and then my back just started acting up. I hit my tee ball and then picked it up for the rest of the hole because I couldn't even get into swing position. Later that night my back settled down and I could start to move normally.

A very interesting poll and results on ESPN:

He only needs to be healthy four days in a row.

He only needs to be healthy four days in a row.

lol I was thinking the same thing. Then again, maybe he doesn't?

images

In my opinion, this is his way of staying in the spotlight when he's playing poorly. Tiger gets media coverage when he's winning but also when he has a reason for playing poorly. A healthy Tiger playing poorly doesn't get the same coverage. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that watching him cringing after shots and gingerly bending down to get the ball after holing out... it get's old. From what I've heard, he's had injuries since the beginning of his career. I've been watching him since around 2000 and it wasn't until the last few years that we've seen him publicly acting out his injuries. Could Tiger Woods be a drama queen? Maybe.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Tiger, but I love watching him win. It creates excitement. I was in no rush to go home and watch the 3rd round of the CA Championship until I found out that Tiger shot a 66 to get back in contention. I hope he breaks Snead's record. I hope he breaks Jack's record, there's no reason he shouldn't. He's great for the game when he's winning. But I've never like his attitude. His family problems a few years ago did nothing to help my opinion of him. Again, this is my opinion and everyone has their own so you can agree or disagree. I think it's a way of staying in the spotlight.

In my opinion, this is his way of staying in the spotlight when he's playing poorly. Tiger gets media coverage when he's winning but also when he has a reason for playing poorly. A healthy Tiger playing poorly doesn't get the same coverage. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that watching him cringing after shots and gingerly bending down to get the ball after holing out... it get's old. From what I've heard, he's had injuries since the beginning of his career. I've been watching him since around 2000 and it wasn't until the last few years that we've seen him publicly acting out his injuries. Could Tiger Woods be a drama queen? Maybe.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Tiger, but I love watching him win. It creates excitement. I was in no rush to go home and watch the 3rd round of the CA Championship until I found out that Tiger shot a 66 to get back in contention. I hope he breaks Snead's record. I hope he breaks Jack's record, there's no reason he shouldn't. He's great for the game when he's winning. But I've never like his attitude. His family problems a few years ago did nothing to help my opinion of him. Again, this is my opinion and everyone has their own so you can agree or disagree. I think it's a way of staying in the spotlight.

I don't think Tiger has any trouble staying in the spotlight...injury or not he's always in the spotlight.

If tiger swings the way he did on the back 9 he will contest at bay hill. The drives on 10 and 12 were what I like to see out of him. 341 with a bad back. The sooner he grasp that tempo is his friend and will save his body, the better off he will be. And for the record, those swings were from an old swing not the Foley swing.

If tiger swings the way he did on the back 9 he will contest at bay hill. The drives on 10 and 12 were what I like to see out of him. 341 with a bad back. The sooner he grasp that tempo is his friend and will save his body, the better off he will be. And for the record, those swings were from an old swing not the Foley swing.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. The Foley Method is definitely a mixed bag.

His old swing is most of the cause of the new swing because if he continued to beat up his knees his career would come to a abrupt hault. It has to be hard to try to adapt a new style of swing to keep pressure off certain parts of your body, when your whole life you were able to swing a different (way more successful) way. I don't know much about Foley, but just from seeing the work he's done with Tiger I am far from a fan. It seems like he has him trying to do 1009809438509 things instead of just focusing on one or two things. I was watching this weekend and there was a wedge shot from like 120ish to a left pin. Tiger aims way out to the right to hit a draw and then blocks it out. I know these guys have to shape certain shots but Im starting to think that he tends to over think every single shot he needs to hit. I am not a Tiger fan, but golf is way way more exciting when he is contending on the weekends and is in the final couple groups.

You have to be kidding. It's obvious that you have never had any serious back trouble. I have. For 30 years. It doesn't ever really go away, and when I suffer a flare up, I can't even bend over and pick up a pencil, much less swing a golf club. However, I can usually walk and do a lot of other things without any sign of it because it only hurts when I move a certain way.

To put your spin on it just shows complete ignorance of just how debilitating such a condition can be.

I do not think Tiger is half as good as he once was,say 10 years ago. Just observations I have made over the years he been very streaky. Partly because of personal problems and pressure and I think equipment. I am not bashing Nike, but Titliest makes much better equipment .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He went to a full Nike bag in 2003.

Wins prior to 2003 - 34 Majors - 8
Wins 2003-2008 (same number of years he was pro playing Titleist) - 37 Majors - 6

I'm not a Nike fan by any means, but I don't think you can blame equipment here. Not to mention in 2002 he was playing Nike woods, I only used regarding irons.

He went to a full Nike bag in 2003.

Wins prior to 2003 - 34 Majors - 8
Wins 2003-2008 (same number of years he was pro playing Titleist) - 37 Majors - 6

I'm not a Nike fan by any means, but I don't think you can blame equipment here. Not to mention in 2002 he was playing Nike woods, I only used regarding irons.

yup, certainly can't blame the equipment.

yup, certainly can't blame the equipment.

What was the 9 iron Elin used? You can probably blame THAT equipment. hehehe

You have to be kidding. It's obvious that you have never had any serious back trouble. I have. For 30 years. It doesn't ever really go away, and when I suffer a flare up, I can't even bend over and pick up a pencil, much less swing a golf club. However, I can usually walk and do a lot of other things without any sign of it because it only hurts when I move a certain way.

To put your spin on it just shows complete ignorance of just how debilitating such a condition can be.

Healthy Debate and conversation = Good
Condescending nature and belittling posts = Not happening anymore

Regardless of how much you disagree, one can post without talking down to someone. At least most can. Let's see if that can change in the future please.

And while I quoted the one above, this really is directed at quite a few posts.

Back