The Order of Star Wars?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you were to have someone watch all of the movies with you, as they have never seen them, what order do they go in?

George Lucas says you watch them 1 through 6. Others say with the release of others over the last few years, that doesn't work anymore.

So taking all of the Star Wars movies available, what order should they go in?

I'll keep a watch on this thread just in case I ever want to watch them!!

Doubtful, but you never know.

The movies one through six, you should watch.

I think I'd go:

Phantom Menace
Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens (Purely for nostalgia sake. Luke isn't an empty shell yet. Watch the Falcon do Falcon things)
Solo (Watch the Han origin story now that he's dead)

And then stop right there. I wouldn't recomend anybody subject themselves to the horrific abuse of cameras that Last Jedi became.

first time through, you have to start with Star Wars, now known by many as a new hope. If you watch 1-3, it completely ruins the reveal at the end of Empire Strikes back. Also, if you watch the what are now dated special effects for episodes 1-3, then watch the original... it can be jarring, especially for a first watch.

If you are rewatching, I can see going: watch just the lightsaber battle of phantom menace, clone wars, revenge of the sith, Rogue one, A New Hope, Empire, Return of the Jedi, Force Awakens, Last Jedi.

That gets you everything you could possibly need to see from the movies. Also, anyone who has disney+ I highly recommend rebels and clone wars. I would choose rebels over clone wars, but I enjoyed them both.

• Admin
I think I'd go:

Phantom Menace
Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens (Purely for nostalgia sake. Luke isn't an empty shell yet. Watch the Falcon do Falcon things)
Solo (Watch the Han origin story now that he's dead)

And then stop right there. I wouldn't recomend anybody subject themselves to the horrific abuse of cameras that Last Jedi became.
The Last Jedi was great.

To me the original three episodes (IV, V, and VI) are the best. I didn't really like I, II, III. Maybe if they started with Episode I to start with it would have been different.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

There are more than that now.

I know but I couldn't come up with a Yoda speak response other than that. Strange thoughts I sometimes think.

I would go with the movie release sequence. I feel like that provides a better contextual storyline than watching by actual timeline of events. Part of that is because each set of Star Wars movies has a wonderful relevance to the eras of movie releases.

Where does Wrath of Khan fit in?

Last edited:
Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Rogue One
A New Hope
Empire Stikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi

I think with Vader being the central figure to a lot of what developed in 4-6, as bad as it was Phantom Menace sets the table for his story. I think you need Rogue One before A New Hop to set the overall arc of the next three movies.

I did this with my girls years ago before the release of the Force Awakens (ep 7). Like with others here, I just think you have to go 4-6, 1-3, 7-9. Add in Rogue One after ep 3. And I would not skip any of them, esp. with kiddos. I know as adults not many liked ep 1-3, but my kids loved 'em.

• Episode IV: A New Hope
  • Rogue One
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  • Episode II: Attack of the Clones
  • (Clone wars)
  • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  • Solo (2018)
  • (Rebels)
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  • (The Mandalorian)
  • (Resistance)
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
  • Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

agree with this.
Haven't done the deep dive into clone wars/rebels/resistance. planning to do it with kiddo when he gets to the right age.

I did this with my girls years ago before the release of the Force Awakens (ep 7). Like with others here, I just think you have to go 4-6, 1-3, 7-9. Add in Rogue One after ep 3. And I would not skip any of them, esp. with kiddos. I know as adults not many liked ep 1-3, but my kids loved 'em.

It is funny, was talking with a colleague of mine, he is about 8 years younger than me, I was in college when the 1-2 came out, he was 10-12. I dislike most of the things about those movies, he loves them. So I concur 100% with this assessment.

Think a lot of it is the age you are when you watched them, and for folks my age or older, we had this iconic trilogy, and there was never going to be anymore star wars, to WE HAVE A NEW TRILOGY!!!! THEY ARE GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!! And they were geared more towards kids than serious action heavy plots. I watched revenge of the sith not that long ago, I thoroughly enjoyed it, mostly because I had zero expectations for it.

first time through, you have to start with Star Wars, now known by many as a new hope. If you watch 1-3, it completely ruins the reveal at the end of Empire Strikes back. Also, if you watch the what are now dated special effects for episodes 1-3, then watch the original... it can be jarring, especially for a first watch.

If you are rewatching, I can see going: watch just the lightsaber battle of phantom menace, clone wars, revenge of the sith, Rogue one, A New Hope, Empire, Return of the Jedi, Force Awakens, Last Jedi.

That gets you everything you could possibly need to see from the movies. Also, anyone who has disney+ I highly recommend rebels and clone wars. I would choose rebels over clone wars, but I enjoyed them both.

How many rocks would you have to turn over to find someone who would be shocked by that "big reveal"?

4,5,6 and then stop

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It is funny, was talking with a colleague of mine, he is about 8 years younger than me, I was in college when the 1-2 came out, he was 10-12. I dislike most of the things about those movies, he loves them. So I concur 100% with this assessment.

Think a lot of it is the age you are when you watched them, and for folks my age or older, we had this iconic trilogy, and there was never going to be anymore star wars, to WE HAVE A NEW TRILOGY!!!! THEY ARE GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!! And they were geared more towards kids than serious action heavy plots. I watched revenge of the sith not that long ago, I thoroughly enjoyed it, mostly because I had zero expectations for it.
Young Anakin was more relatable to kiddos I think, and to that extent the younger Obi One as well. Once we got through 3-6 and 1-3 they would always want to watch 1-3 again over 4-6. Also like you mentioned, probably had something to do with the CGI difference too. And they loved Rogue One. Maybe their favorite of all of em.

Menace
AotC
Clone Wars (tv show)
Revenge
Solo
Rebels (tv show)
Rogue One
IV
V (still the best)
VI
The Mandalorian
Resistance (Tv Show)