Heartbreak at the OldeDude house. We've had Kona for a week now, and the wife and I, as usual, have fallen head over heals for him. On day one we found something in his paperwork, that the rescue said they were unaware of, a vet report from when he was neutered about a month ago, that said he was an aggressive dog. We called that vet, a tech looked up the file, and told us that the vet had noted "aggressive dog, will not see again without sedation." Well, in the week we've had him we haven't seen any aggression, a complete lack of training, some real mouthiness, but that's it. Just to be sure though, we made an appointment with our trainer to do a temperament evaluation, and to make some training plans.

So we had the evaluation today, and he failed due to aggression, big time. We saw a side of him that was downright scary. For some reason, anyone tries to touch his tail or his feet, and he goes berserk. At the first signs of aggression the trainer asked that I put a muzzle on him, then continued to see if he settled down, with gentle repetition, he didn't. They asked that I try myself, as we have really bonded in the past week, but when I petted him, then gently ran my hand down a front leg towards his foot, he went after me too. If he didn't have a muzzle on I am absolutely sure I would have lost an ear. The trainer put it pretty bluntly, I have a potentially dangerous aggressive dog.

We will be turning him back to the rescue, and hopefully they can find someone that can work with him, but as much as it breaks our hearts to let him go, we just can't risk something bad happening, especially with us having small Grandkids.

Heartbreak at the OldeDude house. We've had Kona for a week now, and the wife and I, as usual, have fallen head over heals for him. On day one we found something in his paperwork, that the rescue said they were unaware of, a vet report from when he was neutered about a month ago, that said he was an aggressive dog. We called that vet, a tech looked up the file, and told us that the vet had noted "aggressive dog, will not see again without sedation." Well, in the week we've had him we haven't seen any aggression, a complete lack of training, some real mouthiness, but that's it. Just to be sure though, we made an appointment with our trainer to do a temperament evaluation, and to make some training plans.

So we had the evaluation today, and he failed due to aggression, big time. We saw a side of him that was downright scary. For some reason, anyone tries to touch his tail or his feet, and he goes berserk. At the first signs of aggression the trainer asked that I put a muzzle on him, then continued to see if he settled down, with gentle repetition, he didn't. They asked that I try myself, as we have really bonded in the past week, but when I petted him, then gently ran my hand down a front leg towards his foot, he went after me too. If he didn't have a muzzle on I am absolutely sure I would have lost an ear. The trainer put it pretty bluntly, I have a potentially dangerous aggressive dog.

We will be turning him back to the rescue, and hopefully they can find someone that can work with him, but as much as it breaks our hearts to let him go, we just can't risk something bad happening, especially with us having small Grandkids.
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully they can find someone who can handle him and get him out of the behavior.

Sorry to hear this, fortunately you were able to find out before something tragic happened. Good luck in your continued search.

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully they can find someone who can handle him and get him out of the behavior.
That is what we are hoping. You would absolutely never know this guy has aggression issues until you triggered it by trying to handle his tail or feet. Hopefully the rescue can get this resolved before finding him another home.
Sorry to hear this, fortunately you were able to find out before something tragic happened. Good luck in your continued search.
Thanks. I think we are going to take a bit of a time out in the search, we connected with Kona really well, and we are crushed to have to give him up. We are going to need some time before going through the search again, we lost our Kai in January, and this isn't anywhere near as heartbreaking as that was, but it is still hitting us pretty hard.

... I think we are going to take a bit of a time out in the search, we connected with Kona really well, and we are crushed to have to give him up. We are going to need some time before going through the search again, ...

Sorry to hear that man. It is a real emotional roller coaster.

With your extended family circumstances, I think I would have made the same decision.

I'm sure you will find the right fit as will Kona.

That is what we are hoping. You would absolutely never know this guy has aggression issues until you triggered it by trying to handle his tail or feet. Hopefully the rescue can get this resolved before finding him another home.

Thanks. I think we are going to take a bit of a time out in the search, we connected with Kona really well, and we are crushed to have to give him up. We are going to need some time before going through the search again, we lost our Kai in January, and this isn't anywhere near as heartbreaking as that was, but it is still hitting us pretty hard.
That’s a real shame and I know how hard it is having a similar situation with a malamute/husky cross I had previously. Take heart in the fact that it is the best thing for you and Kona and hope your pain eases soon

So my blind basset got a little amped yesterday and did her blind run through the house. Her tail standing straight up. Caught cord for work laptop and dragged it off the table. Cracked screen. Of course its a 4k touch screen. The basshole was back asleep before i hit send to our secretary letting her know what happened. And it was only tuesday. Gonna be a long week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sorry to hear this.

Anyone use one of these online emotional pet companies?

My girl needs to have daily meds and it's best she is with us and not left for anyone to babysit, but having trouble finding pet-friendly locations for possible vacations. Thinking if we had the emotional support cert maybe we could find a place that will take the letter for her to stay.

Awful & sad. Sorry to hear.

6 months ago, we didn’t think she would make it through the night but somehow she recovered after a stroke. She lost some eyesight with the stroke and had previously lost her hearing, but she isn’t in any pain and seems happy enough. Just got her checkup last weekend and they said she is pretty healthy for a 16 or 17 year old dog. She keeps falling, but they suspect it is a nerve thing because there is nothing wrong with her legs/hips. After she falls, she gets up and is wagging her tail like nothing is wrong.
D8F19CC8-71B6-4F76-A584-51426D7FE25B.jpeg

Got some sad news yesterday... my parent's last remaining dog from my sibling and I's childhood passed away. Lizzie lived a very full life and was the gentlest dog, but now my parents are dog-less for the first time in my life. They say they won't get another dog, but they also said they wouldn't get attached to all the dogs in the past as they did.

IMG_20181122_095238.jpg

This showed up in my timeline from 4 years ago. Sadly our lab Molly passed away last summer. The other 2 are still rambunctious as all get out.

1616792089056.png
1616792216830.png

My girl needs to have daily meds and it's best she is with us and not left for anyone to babysit, but having trouble finding pet-friendly locations for possible vacations. Thinking if we had the emotional support cert maybe we could find a place that will take the letter for her to stay.
You can find them online. Like $70 bucks and your good to go.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and do not get the same protections from the ADA.
f62e872f09d3c01cb016f6bf3287ed5f.jpg

Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and do not get the same protections from the ADA.
f62e872f09d3c01cb016f6bf3287ed5f.jpg
Totally understand. The location I am trying to rent asked if I had an emotional certificate for my dog since I asked to bring her.

Back