The Photography Thread

Fun pic:

DSC_0011-XL.jpg

Found a good background solution for my light tent. I need to shoot one in raw and run it through lightroom though to see if I can improve the background white a little.

You don't really want the background too white when your subject is white, do you? It looks like those balls are whiter than your backdrop, so in trying to whiten the back, you could blow out the stuff in front. If you use the adjustment brush with the automask turned on you can make the backdrop whiter, but you will lose some definition on your subject matter because of the tonal similarity. I'd be more inclined to use a solid violet or red or even black - something to make the balls really pop (of course then you run the risk of color bleed tinting the balls - on second thought, you have attempted the impossible - better give up while you're ahead :eyepoke:).

Oh I'm super pleased with that pic, its badass to my eye, was just musing. Really was too lazy to get the black background out, I typically use it for lighter objects. Had to on a soon to pass embargo putter and the pics came out fantastic.

I agree. The exposure looks to be perfect for the three balls, focus is great too.

Jman that pic looks great to me. Keep it up man

Non-Macro:
DSC_0029-XL.jpg

Macro:
DSC_0030-XL.jpg

More detail in the second makes me happy. Taken one after another, same light setup. Obviously, I have some tinkering to do with the settings, but this is CRAZY promising for those detail shots in my review pictures.

The macro makes the white just pop a little bit also. Just a thought from a very untrained eye

Jman are you using a DSLR?

Yeah, the detail with that Macro lens is amazing. Got any macro shots of that new putter face? That is a perfect case for macro if ever there was one.

The macro makes the white just pop a little bit also. Just a thought from a very untrained eye

I agree, I was really surprised by that.

Jman are you using a DSLR?

Yessir, Nikon

Yeah, the detail with that Macro lens is amazing. Got any macro shots of that new putter face? That is a perfect case for macro if ever there was one.

It really is, I'll have to do it tomorrow, but you are dead on right, that NEEDS to be done.

Yessir, Nikon

It really is, I'll have to do it tomorrow, but you are dead on right, that NEEDS to be done.

I agree. It NEEDS to be done.

I'm sure you've posted it before, but what Nikon body are you using?

So what exactly is the difference between macro and non macro?

Man these pictures are absolutely amazing. When it comes to settings on my camera, I'm always running auto. Need to learn more about exposure etc. now to find the time.

Macro lenses essentially let you get very very close to the subject of the photo. A regular lens will have trouble focusing if you're too close, the macro lenses don't focus far away well (if at all) but will get you killer shots of things that are close.

You see them used a lot when photographing bugs, flowers, etc.. smallish things where you want a ton of detail.

Edit: See Jman's post below. That is what a Macro lens is for.

Man these pictures are absolutely amazing. When it comes to settings on my camera, I'm always running auto. Need to learn more about exposure etc. now to find the time.

Time is always the problem. I took a basic photography class in college, it was actually a Criminal Justice course on how to take pictures for evidence (needed an easy summer class elective to hit full time credit hours) and I learned a lot, but not enough. I bought my first DSLR about halfway through that class. My wife thought I was nuts, until she saw the pictures it would take. Now I mostly only use my camera for staged shots, school photos for my daughter and family photos.

There's so much that can be done though, and I just don't have the time anymore. My daughter and I did some light painting a couple years ago, nothing really awesome, but we had a blast playing with it. I try to get out to the beach a couple times a year with the camera to take some pictures, and if we go somewhere especially pretty I'll take it. Most of the time I leave it at home and take my iPhone, or I've got a small P&S I'll take out if I want to get better pictures. I found when I had the big camera I was focusing too much on getting the perfect shot, or playing with settings that I was missing the time with the family, and that kind of defeated the purpose of having it. We went to Disney last year and my daughter and I left both of the big cameras at home and took just point and shoots, we got some awesome pictures still, but mostly we had fun as a family.

DSC_0035-XL.jpg

DSC_0037-XL.jpg

DSC_0033-XL.jpg

DSC_0034-XL.jpg

Time is always the problem. I took a basic photography class in college, it was actually a Criminal Justice course on how to take pictures for evidence (needed an easy summer class elective to hit full time credit hours) and I learned a lot, but not enough. I bought my first DSLR about halfway through that class. My wife thought I was nuts, until she saw the pictures it would take. Now I mostly only use my camera for staged shots, school photos for my daughter and family photos.

There's so much that can be done though, and I just don't have the time anymore. My daughter and I did some light painting a couple years ago, nothing really awesome, but we had a blast playing with it. I try to get out to the beach a couple times a year with the camera to take some pictures, and if we go somewhere especially pretty I'll take it. Most of the time I leave it at home and take my iPhone, or I've got a small P&S I'll take out if I want to get better pictures. I found when I had the big camera I was focusing too much on getting the perfect shot, or playing with settings that I was missing the time with the family, and that kind of defeated the purpose of having it. We went to Disney last year and my daughter and I left both of the big cameras at home and took just point and shoots, we got some awesome pictures still, but mostly we had fun as a family.

Agree with you there. Mine sits in the bag. Wife got me a GoPro for Xmas that I had big intentions on using and it all comes back to the time. Sigh.

Yup...that is AWESOME. I'm not sure which I like better, the picture or the insert LOL. Nice shots James.

James, that lens is ridiculous!!!!

I am going to have to step my game up. Maybe I need some better lighting. Too much burn in my images.

Its going to be a lethal picture taking weapon for reviews for sure. Glad I just shut my eyes and pulled the trigger on one finally.

I never ever ever ever realized the difference a good lighting setup would make until I got these speedlites .

Macro lenses give you 1:1 magnification. Meaning that if you take a photograph of an object at the lens closet focus distance, it will be the same size as the image projected onto the cameras sensor.

Jman how do you provide the light for your photos? I always thought that natural light was best and if you couldn't have that flash.

Man I have so much to learn haha

Jman how do you provide the light for your photos? I always thought that natural light was best and if you couldn't have that flash.

Man I have so much to learn haha

I'm using two speedlites (external flash) on the outside of my photo tent with them both synced via trigger to my camera. Fantastic fun, and quality.

I'm using two speedlites (external flash) on the outside of my photo tent with them both synced via trigger to my camera. Fantastic fun, and quality.
How does the trigger work? It knows exactly when you press the button?

Its going to be a lethal picture taking weapon for reviews for sure. Glad I just shut my eyes and pulled the trigger on one finally.

I never ever ever ever realized the difference a good lighting setup would make until I got these speedlites .

My four small externals are now down to three. I can get away with it by taking photos by windows on a bright day, but anything in the clouds or evenings comes out yellow/orange.

We'll see if I really start pursuing this soon.

Back