The Photography Thread

c936c11ba5614e47c258fb4db6744752.jpg

THP'ers

Er . . . I think I'll play a cut here

Thanks for the strong suggestions. I'll sit down with the manual soon and see if my frustration can be remedied without needing to use software to doctor the skies.

Like JB said, the camera just doesn't have the dynamic range of color, contrast and saturation to pull what you're looking for out of the image.

Post processing would get you where you want to be.

5d4150b4b3e8ded2efb7e166d36aa992.jpg

So excited for this beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid camera there.

The wife is clamoring for a new camera for our November vacation. I'd like to spend less than 1k. Any suggestions?

The wife is clamoring for a new camera for our November vacation. I'd like to spend less than 1k. Any suggestions?

If you are going DSLR, you have a lot of options.
But first, are you looking to go DSLR or are you looking for something smaller like a mirrorless option?

If you are going DSLR, you have a lot of options.
But first, are you looking to go DSLR or are you looking for something smaller like a mirrorless option?

I'm kind of dumb to what we really need. Something we can use for low light photos at home as well as something for our theme park and other vacations. She seems to be keen on putting in the work to use it so I'm looking for suggestions even on type of camera.

I'm kind of dumb to what we really need. Something we can use for low light photos at home as well as something for our theme park and other vacations. She seems to be keen on putting in the work to use it so I'm looking for suggestions even on type of camera.

That really opens the door to a lot of options. DSLR cameras are going to be bigger, so carrying them around at a theme park, some might not enjoy. They are going to arguably (some say not arguably) give you the best low light options out there.
We use a Canon 70D and like it. We chose that camera because it is one of the best DSLR options for video as well as photo at this time due to its active focus. It costs right around that 1k mark. Nikon has similar, and honestly I prefer the controls on Nikon more, but their video was one step behind (it still might be at this level).

That really opens the door to a lot of options. DSLR cameras are going to be bigger, so carrying them around at a theme park, some might not enjoy. They are going to arguably (some say not arguably) give you the best low light options out there.
We use a Canon 70D and like it. We chose that camera because it is one of the best DSLR options for video as well as photo at this time due to its active focus. It costs right around that 1k mark. Nikon has similar, and honestly I prefer the controls on Nikon more, but their video was one step behind (it still might be at this level).

This Canon, while not as feature packed as the 70D seems to be highly rated.

http://www.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100288979.html

I would love to go 70D but with lenses and everything I have to assume I am pushing closer to 2K and I dont trust her commitment that much.

http://www.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100288979.html

I would love to go 70D but with lenses and everything I have to assume I am pushing closer to 2K and I dont trust her commitment that much.

Well the 70D does come with a lens (you can buy body only of most for less. I think I saw the 70D with 18-135 for 1k at a local store last week as well ($999). The 75-300 lens in the one you posted is a fantastic lens, but its pretty darn long range, so unless you are going to be shooting from really far away, I am not sure its a family vacation kind of lens for a first time shooter.

Although I am still of the opinion that for most family vacation things, since they are outdoors, many cameras will do the trick. Definitely check the Nikon lineup as well, as their sensors are fantastic.
Avoid looking at things from a megapixel standpoint and more about more important details.

And if you are not planning on using this for video, go back a generation or so.

Well the 70D does come with a lens (you can buy body only of most for less. I think I saw the 70D with 18-135 for 1k at a local store last week as well ($999). The 75-300 lens in the one you posted is a fantastic lens, but its pretty darn long range, so unless you are going to be shooting from really far away, I am not sure its a family vacation kind of lens for a first time shooter.

Although I am still of the opinion that for most family vacation things, since they are outdoors, many cameras will do the trick. Definitely check the Nikon lineup as well, as their sensors are fantastic.
Avoid looking at things from a megapixel standpoint and more about more important details.

And if you are not planning on using this for video, go back a generation or so.

Sounds good. I was looking at the Canon site specifically so I wasnt looking at packages yet. I would rather spend a few more bucks to be future proof. Thanks for the feedback.

T6 is a great starter camera but again like most DSLR cameras you're not going to get the best of portability. There's a good market of mirrorless to choose from that are compact in size and have interchangeable lenses.

To be honest, it's not entirely so much the type of camera that is going to give you the bulk of a great image, it's the lense. Which is why you see mostly how a lense can cost just as much and more than the camera. A significant portion of the image you get is based on the quality of lense you have.

Overall though there is a great market out there for the budget you're at. T6 is a great start.

Sounds good. I was looking at the Canon site specifically so I wasnt looking at packages yet. I would rather spend a few more bucks to be future proof. Thanks for the feedback.

Its electronics so thats not going to be the case. It doesnt mean it wont take great photos, but with 4k on the horizon for DSLRs (starting to see it now), nothing right now is future proof in terms of combined utility.

Both Canon and Nikon make quality products, you really can't go wrong with either. That being said, I am a Nikon user and enthusiast.

My setup is a D3100 with a Nikon 50mm 1.8 and a Tamron 18-270 zoom lens. The zoom is my primary lens, while I use the 50mm for low light situations. This would cost you about $1100 now. I haven't done complete research but I think you could get the D5300 for around the same price, and the D3400 is preordering now.

I'm sure whatever you choose, it will work well. My only advice is to be honest about the functionality you need. It's easy to spend more for things you will never use.

The Photography Thread

I have two cameras. I have a DSLR that I use for photography and scenic shots. 99% of the time that camera lives at home and doesn't go on vacation with me. I have a mid range ($150-200) point and shoot that is my vacation camera. That one is my workhorse. The reason for that is with the DSLR I find myself lost in the camera and thinking about the shots I want to take instead of enjoying time with the family. It's great for taking school photos and family photos and stuff like that, but the point and shoot is quick easy lightweight and if some one steals it, the only thing I lose is the pictures from that trip.

If you're not planning on taking really serious pictures and editing and really dedicated to learning how to use a DSLR I'd look very hard at a mirrorless camera. Lots of the quality from a DSLR smaller form factor and easier to use.

That being said, DSLR I've got a Nikon that's really nice and my daughter inherited my old OG rebel (circa 2005) and they both work well from a user standpoint.

I forgot to add: the camera I take probably close to 90% of my photos with is my iPhone. There is an old saying about photography as a hobby: "the best camera is the one you have with you"

As you shop think about carrying each camera for 8-10 hours at a theme park and carrying it on rides and in the bathroom. That should be a factor, spending a grand on a camera you never take out of the house because it's a PITA to deal with is not what you want.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Agree with the above. The brands are making some great things with the mirrorless models and lenses to boot. Cost wise they can get up there, but the convenience and features are top notch.
A lot of people LOVE the Panasonic models, because they also shoot great 4K video and do so at a great price.

Agree with the above. The brands are making some great things with the mirrorless models and lenses to boot. Cost wise they can get up there, but the convenience and features are top notch.
A lot of people LOVE the Panasonic models, because they also shoot great 4K video and do so at a great price.

Mirrorless is on my very long list of things I want but don't really need. They're really pretty cool.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I thought this was a pretty cool picture from our trip. I'm horrible at taking pictures but this one actually turned out alright.
1f02f51c8d97ccbaad87b3bd57e024f3.jpg

Thats pretty darn nice Kev.

Born in Portland. Multnomah falls is such an icon, great photo.

Born in Portland. Multnomah falls is such an icon, great photo.
It was really beautiful. There were just so many great sites to see there. Portland is a pretty cool city also. I don't think you could ever get bored living in that area.

Picked up a horizontal tripod mount to shoot from directly overhead and eliminate some shadowing in the studio.

Nothing like a newborn giving you an even bigger reason to go taking all sorts of photos.

One of my favorites taken recently with my canon 6d

553c2f53a55ac01a5b50e7fe1d379f1f.jpg

Pretty nifty little bugger.

0709adae0165cedec5831f21e5096867.jpg

Back