The Photography Thread

I've only been golfing a year now so I'm new at all these things/events.

Here are a couple of unedited pictures from our trip to Italy last year. These were taken with a Nikon D3100 with a Tamron 18-270 lens. The last picture (low light) was taken with the Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens. I am certainly not a great photographer, but this setup makes it easy to take quality images.

_DSC0451_zpsdhwioc1a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

_DSC0221_zpsofnp8hf0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

_DSC0046_zpsbcyifp3s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My best friend hamming for the camera:

i-4fb9BLp-XL.jpg

And playing in the yard:

i-q693Xgd-XL.jpg

c936c11ba5614e47c258fb4db6744752.jpg

THP'ers

Love the dog smiling picture.

Picked up a new macro pancake today.

Picked up a new macro pancake today.
Nice!

I considered that and some extension tunes for a while but finally just went in on a full micro Nikkor. It was a hefty ass investment for golf club photos, but worth it, it's really helped me take my photos to another level in quality. Though the dual flashes was another well worth it purchase.

After taking a lot of pictures of buildings, I was thinking about a tilt-shift lens. Then I saw the price...

Nice!

I considered that and some extension tunes for a while but finally just went in on a full micro Nikkor. It was a hefty ass investment for golf club photos, but worth it, it's really helped me take my photos to another level in quality. Though the dual flashes was another well worth it purchase.

Yeah went 24mm 2.8

National Camera Day today.

If someone can provide a way out of this problem for me I'll owe you a hole-in-one -- or at least the post-round equivalent.

I am at a loss to figure out how to get skies to look their natural color, rather than a uniform, featureless, dingy white when shooting on a golf course. I use a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, so maybe it's the camera, maybe it's the settings (landscape) or some other factor. Obviously can't be me :call-me:. I can defeat the problem when I tilt the camera more toward the sky than at the focal point on the course. I'll get the true character of the sky then, but the course then loses a lot of its luster and brightness. And sometimes, it's not a problem at all. But if there's a hint of haze on the horizon, it's as though the lens just multiplies what it's picking up there, completely overtaking the rest of the sky, however blue it might be.

I do believe this is a common complaint with digital cameras, but have yet to invest the time into figuring out how to overcome it -- if indeed that's possible. And FYI, I use the "landscape" option on the settings wheel.

If someone can provide a way out of this problem for me I'll owe you a hole-in-one -- or at least the post-round equivalent.

I am at a loss to figure out how to get skies to look their natural color, rather than a uniform, featureless, dingy white when shooting on a golf course. I use a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, so maybe it's the camera, maybe it's the settings (landscape) or some other factor. Obviously can't be me :call-me:. I can defeat the problem when I tilt the camera more toward the sky than at the focal point on the course. I'll get the true character of the sky then, but the course then loses a lot of its luster and brightness. And sometimes, it's not a problem at all. But if there's a hint of haze on the horizon, it's as though the lens just multiplies what it's picking up there, completely overtaking the rest of the sky, however blue it might be.

I do believe this is a common complaint with digital cameras, but have yet to invest the time into figuring out how to overcome it -- if indeed that's possible. And FYI, I use the "landscape" option on the settings wheel.
With out seeing examples it sounds like you are getting too much light in your shots

With a point and shoot camera using a slew of focus points, in a smaller cropped sensor, this is fairly common with skies, much like cel phone images. Easiest fix is in post with something like Lightroom if you don't want to purchase a new camera with manual controls.

190a84e95df04068a6b504c4d87f90ee.jpg

My orchids are in full bloom

I use the "landscape" option on the settings wheel.

These automatic settings are designed to give what the camera believes to be the best image. It just reads the scene and tries to optimize. Read the manual for your camera and see how you can change the settings. Look at exposure compensation, shutter and aperture settings, and i-contrast. Experiment and find out what works best for the particular situation.

Thanks for the strong suggestions. I'll sit down with the manual soon and see if my frustration can be remedied without needing to use software to doctor the skies.

Back