The Quit Smoking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man thats awesome. Quitting something like smokes is no small task but the rewards healthwise are unmeasureable IMO. Ive seen firsthand the suffering of someone who smoked until they had lung disease and then still didnt quit. She smoked to the bitter end and bitter it was! Then theres the monetary benefit too! Trust me you did the right thing and it will pay off in the long run, regardless of motivation. Pimp hand strong!!

Man thats awesome. Quitting something like smokes is no small task but the rewards healthwise are unmeasureable IMO. Ive seen firsthand the suffering of someone who smoked until they had lung disease and then still didnt quit. She smoked to the bitter end and bitter it was! Then theres the monetary benefit too! Trust me you did the right thing and it will pay off in the long run, regardless of motivation. Pimp hand strong!!

Yeah. I have so much more energy now that I have quit smoking. The only bad thing is that I tend to fill the gap that smoking left with goldfish crackers. Still better than dying.

Well, I was at the PGA Tour Superstore yesterday and I thought that since I was there, I might as well pick up my new wedges. I am still smoke free and my body is loving me for it.

Well, I was at the PGA Tour Superstore yesterday and I thought that since I was there, I might as well pick up my new wedges. I am still smoke free and my body is loving me for it.

Congrats SethO!!!! Well deserved!!! :clapp::clapp:

Pics please?!?!

Congrats SethO!!!! Well deserved!!! :clapp::clapp:

Pics please?!?!

I will take some when I go home today. They will be up tomorrow. They are pretty. The bounce is a tad bit higher than I am used to, but that is what was suggested for me. It is still standard bounce however.

I will take some when I go home today. They will be up tomorrow. They are pretty. The bounce is a tad bit higher than I am used to, but that is what was suggested for me. It is still standard bounce however.

Awesome! I decided against bending all my wedges to meet my 'gap needs.' I'll live w/o a 50* for now....I think I'd rather pick up a 4h rather than another wedge. The 3w is coming out of the bag..

Congratulations Seth that is just awesome! Most people try and fail several times before they successfully quit and you are clearly on the the right path to stay smoke free forever. Good for you, you should truly be proud of yourself.

Awesome! I decided against bending all my wedges to meet my 'gap needs.' I'll live w/o a 50* for now....I think I'd rather pick up a 4h rather than another wedge. The 3w is coming out of the bag..

I could not live without a 50º The gap between my PW and a 52º would be to big. What kind of 4h are you going to get.

Congratulations Seth that is just awesome! Most people try and fail several times before they successfully quit and you are clearly on the the right path to stay smoke free forever. Good for you, you should truly be proud of yourself.

Thanks GG. It has been getting harder lately and I had a terrible round on Saturday which made me want one, but I am determined to be healthy!

I could not live without a 50º The gap between my PW and a 52º would be to big. What kind of 4h are you going to get.

Thanks GG. It has been getting harder lately and I had a terrible round on Saturday which made me want one, but I am determined to be healthy!

Really? It's been getting harder, I wonder why that would be, is it the nicotine that you are craving or maybe the habitual side of it? Like when you are having a bad day you can always turn to a cigarette? Please forgive my ignorance I have never been a smoker but know so many people who do so I am often curious about the addiction.

Really? It's been getting harder, I wonder why that would be, is it the nicotine that you are craving or maybe the habitual side of it? Like when you are having a bad day you can always turn to a cigarette? Please forgive my ignorance I have never been a smoker but know so many people who do so I am often curious about the addiction.

I think it is the habitual side of it. Smoking is very relaxing and I unwind very well when having a cigar. At this point, I think it is mostly in my mind.

I thought the same thing but I'll see how I do with always taking a full shot with my 53* or a 1/2-3/4 shot with my 46* PW. I'm looking at the HiBore XLS or the Baffler DWS. I like how both have a traditional set up but leaning towards the XLS. I like the scooped crown look, very much like a regular iron.

I think its def the habitual side of it. I used to smoke over a half pack a day. I am down to 2 a day. I CAN NOT get past the morning cig with coffee. I am inching towards it. But, that is a win for me so far. I will quit!

I think its def the habitual side of it. I used to smoke over a half pack a day. I am down to 2 a day. I CAN NOT get past the morning cig with coffee. I am inching towards it. But, that is a win for me so far. I will quit!

That is hard. People who have never smoked can't really understand how awesome that early morning smoke is. You non-smokers are so lucky.

That is hard. People who have never smoked can't really understand how awesome that early morning smoke is. You non-smokers are so lucky.

That's true. And it's true of tobacco in general. Sometimes I could still go for a chew!

I think it is the habitual side of it. Smoking is very relaxing and I unwind very well when having a cigar. At this point, I think it is mostly in my mind.

I had a feeling that a large part of trying to quit was breaking the habitual part of it. It seems smokers love to smoke with their morning coffee, after a meal, a tasty dessert, spicy food, an alcoholic beverage, to take a break from work, and so many other ways. I always thought a big part of smoking was sort of like Pavlov's puppies....your body almost becomes trained to smoke after certain activities after a period of time.

I had a feeling that a large part of trying to quit was breaking the habitual part of it. It seems smokers love to smoke with their morning coffee, after a meal, a tasty dessert, spicy food, an alcoholic beverage, to take a break from work, and so many other ways. I always thought a big part of smoking was sort of like Pavlov's puppies....your body almost becomes trained to smoke after certain activities after a period of time.

It is so evil the way it grabs a person and makes them enjoy it while it slowly and very surely kills them.

My "breakfast" every morning was a thermos full of coffee and a couple of cigs during my 48-mile commute to work in SoCal and I couldn't bear the thought of drinking coffee without a cig so I had to quit both.

Funny, the anticipation of that first drink of coffee and the first cig was almost fun. I wouldn't drink coffee or smoke first thing - I'd wait until I was well on my way on the road before I'd start with the coffee and lighting up. It's as good as ... well, I guess not as good, but it was pretty good.

1 more week to go Seth!! :clapp: Keep up the great work :)

Great job, Seth! Now take up another sport, one that's totally incompatible with smoking--something like running or crew*. Once that becomes important to you, you know you'll never go back to smoking.

*I only wish the really aerobic sports were more interesting. Distance bike riding, maybe?

Great job, Seth! Now take up another sport, one that's totally incompatible with smoking--something like running or crew*. Once that becomes important to you, you know you'll never go back to smoking.

*I only wish the really aerobic sports were more interesting. Distance bike riding, maybe?

I like to run during the warmer months to keep trim and fit. I also lose a ton of energy that could be devoted to golfing. I had a friend that rides bikes competitively and that takes some major strength and stamina. I like the brain power that golf takes and my brain can't think as well when I have a smoke because it focuses on my body as it tires out.

Good luck, I quit over 3 years ago after a few attempts. Even if you do not succeed on your first attempt try, try, try again. A complete routine change was in order for me, along with nicotine gum, then regular gum after a while.

It is great having the monkey off my back, not having to plan meetings, breaks, etc around having a smoke. After a while you'll be able to smell other smokers and realize how bad it smells.

So you picked up the 3 wood too? Sweet, I must of missed that.

seth, it looks like you need to replace that rescue in your bag, she looks a little out of place with all that brand new equipment.:D

seriously, congrats on your achievement, i hope to follow your gameplan one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back