The Relocation Thread

I need some information on Philadelphia. A new position came up that would require me to relocate to Philadelphia. I don't know much about the city (only been there once or twice). Does anyone know of good places to live for young professionals? Or places to avoid?
Sorry see my last post should have hit reply.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I currently live in Huntersville. There are some good elementary and middle schools in the area, but the high schools leave a bit to be desired. Cornelius is slightly better. Davidson primary schools are very good. There is tons of new construction going on everywhere around Charlotte. Traffic flows on 77 can be heavy, but if you have spent time up north, you are probably used to it.

Thanks for the info. We are coming from Boston and are used to awful traffic. Part of the reason we want to go south is for a better commute. Hearing about construction is good since that's what I do.

In your opinion what is the best area to be in, but still have a decent commute into the city?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. We are coming from Boston and are used to awful traffic. Part of the reason we want to go south is for a better commute. Hearing about construction is good since that's what I do.

In your opinion what is the best area to be in, but still have a decent commute into the city?

If you do residential construction, your best bet may be around the southern part of Mecklenburg country, over towards Union county. A ton of higher end stuff going up down there (a good buddy lives in Waxhaw). Huntersville/Concord is growing quickly, just not as much as the southern area.

From Cornelius (for reference) it will take 30ish minutes to get to the center of Charlotte at 7:30am. The state has contracted with some shady Spanish firm to expand I-77 from 4 lanes to 6 between exits 23 and 36, adding a toll lane in each direction. Traffic is going to get worse for the next 3 years, and will not get better after.

If you do residential construction, your best bet may be around the southern part of Mecklenburg country, over towards Union county. A ton of higher end stuff going up down there (a good buddy lives in Waxhaw). Huntersville/Concord is growing quickly, just not as much as the southern area.

From Cornelius (for reference) it will take 30ish minutes to get to the center of Charlotte at 7:30am. The state has contracted with some shady Spanish firm to expand I-77 from 4 lanes to 6 between exits 23 and 36, adding a toll lane in each direction. Traffic is going to get worse for the next 3 years, and will not get better after.

I do commercial construction. 30 min would be a great commute for me to live in a suburban area.

Are there a good amount of bigger buildings being built in the area?

I do commercial construction. 30 min would be a great commute for me to live in a suburban area.

For big commercial construction, uptown is building up again after 2008 hit the banks hard. Several buildings going up and others being renovated. There's also tons of smaller commercial (strip malls, smaller office space, etc) going up everywhere. You shouldn't have much trouble finding work.

For big commercial construction, uptown is building up again after 2008 hit the banks hard. Several buildings going up and others being renovated. There's also tons of smaller commercial (strip malls, smaller office space, etc) going up everywhere. You shouldn't have much trouble finding work.

Awesome thanks, I assume most of the colleges in the area are building a lot as well?

That's what makes the construction market in Boston so good.

Awesome thanks, I assume most of the colleges in the area are building a lot as well?

That's what makes the construction market in Boston so good.

UNC-Charlotte is building up, but I can't speak for the others. There aren't a ton of universities in the area, honestly. Charlotte is the largest, then several small privates.

UNC-Charlotte is building up, but I can't speak for the others. There aren't a ton of universities in the area, honestly. Charlotte is the largest, then several small privates.

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully we can tee it up when we move down.

Pretty soon I'll be asking which courses to join!

Shoot me a pm when you get close to coming down, I know a lot of commercial contractors all through out the Olinas and can put you in touch with some good people, especially in the Charlotte area.

Shoot me a pm when you get close to coming down, I know a lot of commercial contractors all through out the Olinas and can put you in touch with some good people, especially in the Charlotte area.

Thank you very much, I'll definitely get in touch when I start putting out resumes. I really appreciate it.

Just saw this thread and I'm starting to contemplate where to start looking to relocate. I'm from a rural West TN town, and I'm graduating from college in May with a BS in Electrical Engineering. There's no jobs in my field near home, so I'm looking to completely relocate. I'm just not sure where. I would love to stay in a warm climate in the Southeast, but I'm really open to anything. I don't have anything holding me back and wanting to start my adult life somewhere new. Anybody have any recommendations?

Just saw this thread and I'm starting to contemplate where to start looking to relocate. I'm from a rural West TN town, and I'm graduating from college in May with a BS in Electrical Engineering. There's no jobs in my field near home, so I'm looking to completely relocate. I'm just not sure where. I would love to stay in a warm climate in the Southeast, but I'm really open to anything. I don't have anything holding me back and wanting to start my adult life somewhere new. Anybody have any recommendations?

That gives you a LOT of options.
FL will have the no state income tax thing going for it.
GA & SC both offer climates that match what you are looking for.

You will have to decide on big city or small rural area first and what kind of areas have the best jobs available.

That gives you a LOT of options.
FL will have the no state income tax thing going for it.
GA & SC both offer climates that match what you are looking for.

You will have to decide on big city or small rural area first and what kind of areas have the best jobs available.

I agree, my options seem endless, especially being from this little town makes it seem amazing where I could go. I do like how FL has no income tax(and the warm climate for golf!). I've actually looked into all 3 of those states, but have no clue city-wise. Do any stick out to you or any personal recommendations that you have?

Becky and I are getting pretty serious about a move in 2017. She's in love with Austin so we've been looking at housing and stuff and there's a LOT of new construction in the area. I've been looking at golf clubs :) It's a year away, but it's still pretty fun to do. We'll take a trip in July to get a better feel for things. Phoenix is still on my mind. It makes it even more fun to think about when it's 5* outside here.

Becky and I are getting pretty serious about a move in 2017. She's in love with Austin so we've been looking at housing and stuff and there's a LOT of new construction in the area. I've been looking at golf clubs :) It's a year away, but it's still pretty fun to do. We'll take a trip in July to get a better feel for things. Phoenix is still on my mind. It makes it even more fun to think about when it's 5* outside here.
Good idea to go in the summer because the heat is no joke there. I went to a wedding there a few years ago in August, was an outdoor wedding at 6 pm and it was 107 degrees. That was a bit extreme, but still, it was brutal. All of that said, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't pondered Austin as a potential move sometime in the future.

Good idea to go in the summer because the heat is no joke there. I went to a wedding there a few years ago in August, was an outdoor wedding at 6 pm and it was 107 degrees. That was a bit extreme, but still, it was brutal. All of that said, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't pondered Austin as a potential move sometime in the future.
Yeah I'll take the heat over the 5 months of winter nonsense. But I'm also the guy that can sit in the sauna forever and love every minute of it :)

Still considering a job change to our office in Morrisville/Cary, NC. Looked at apartments down that way. HOLY CRAP!!! I don't want to move too far from the office (Wessex area) but dang the apartments around that area are ridiculous. My wife and I are "young" and have a 4 year old so just dropping coin (that we don't have) on a house right away is out of the question. I was looking East of the area and found a couple decently priced places, only to find out I was looking at a per room price due to it being close to NCSU and them catering more to the college kids.

Edit to add: Is the pay that much higher in this area that paying $800+ for a 3 bedroom apartment seem like easy money?

Last edited:
Still considering a job change to our office in Morrisville/Cary, NC. Looked at apartments down that way. HOLY CRAP!!! I don't want to move too far from the office (Wessex area) but dang the apartments around that area are ridiculous. My wife and I are "young" and have a 4 year old so just dropping coin (that we don't have) on a house right away is out of the question. I was looking East of the area and found a couple decently priced places, only to find out I was looking at a per room price due to it being close to NCSU and them catering more to the college kids.

Edit to add: Is the pay that much higher in this area that paying $800+ for a 3 bedroom apartment seem like easy money?

Be careful on the East side, things can get sketchy east and southeast. May be cheaper but you know the saying.

Austin is awesome if you can stand the heat and have a decent budget. Housing is pretty expensive there now unless you live away from town.

Be careful on the East side, things can get sketchy east and southeast. May be cheaper but you know the saying.

I know exactly what you're saying. It worried me that one complex was $300 cheaper than a competitor and they were in very close proximity of eachother. So that says something about one versus the other.

It's sounding more and more likely that I'm going to get relocated to our Pottsville, PA facility this summer...would really miss the west coast but it will be nice to be closer to family.

Austin is awesome if you can stand the heat and have a decent budget. Housing is pretty expensive there now unless you live away from town.
Yeah I've been looking. Looks like we can find something around Austin for a better price than here and taxes are far less. The heat will be the big thing for my wife.... But 3 months of crazy heat is better than 5 months of cold nonsense here ?

While some areas to the east and Southeast side of Raleigh are still trouble many are also seeing some HUGE growth for the upper middle class. Clayton area is really taking off as well as some others. This area is changing very quickly and while many of the stigmas are still around some areas they are also disappearing quickly. No where to build on the west anymore so everything is shifting East.

My wife and I have officially decided to move to the Charlotte area. We will be down there the 1st of May. I have let my company know about the move and they have been great. My boss even asked the marketing director to help me put together a good resume. I've actually never had a resume because I've worked for the same company since college. When I get some interviews lined up we will go down and look at some apartments and hopefully put down a deposit. I'm working with recruiter from the area now to find a job. Its bittersweet because I love the company I work for now, but, if we don't move now I doubt we ever will.

While some areas to the east and Southeast side of Raleigh are still trouble many are also seeing some HUGE growth for the upper middle class. Clayton area is really taking off as well as some others. This area is changing very quickly and while many of the stigmas are still around some areas they are also disappearing quickly. No where to build on the west anymore so everything is shifting East.

Two of the places I was looking at, one is in South Raleigh and the other is in Parkland/Hidden Creek area. Any idea about those areas? Feel free to PM me if you want.

Back