The Relocation Thread

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I figured I'd start a thread for those that are looking to relocate to other cities, and hopefully others that live there or near there can provide some feedback from a local perspective.

My wife and I are looking now towards the western Carolinas. We are both looking for cooler summers and even though I hate extreme cold I can live with 40's and 50's in the winter. We've looked at Hendersonville NC, Asheville NC, Brevard NC, Greenville SC, Charlottesville VA, Historic Richmond VA, and Williamsburg lol.

Anyone live in these areas?

Good thread

You know my take on my stay. One thing that you should take a look into is that I believe you are a fellow migraine sufferer. That area is considered the worst in the country. Certainly does not impact everybody however.

Oh man I do, it just seems so cool from the outside looking in. How about Travelers rest?

Oh man I do, it just seems so cool from the outside looking in. How about Travelers rest?

Sadly that has been my reasoning to move to any one of the dozen states I have lived in. Take your time, go visit for an extended period of time and do some research. No matter where you end up, you want to make sure that you and your family will be happy for years to come. Moving is expensive and finding out the negatives after the move is something I never want to go through again.

Sevierville is nice and I hear they have a nice golf course! :good:

hey thats close to Western NC!

Have not lived in Greenville, SC since about 43 years ago but have been visiting there my entire life. My mother's family is from that area. I would not hesitate in the least to move there if a job opportunity arose. I will qualify that, though, with the fact that I would not live anywhere in the Greenville area where I had to drive on Woodruff Road on a daily basis. It is the absolute worst road I have ever driven on and I lived in Atlanta and Miami before. The only drawback for me, besides the extreme pain in the rear of relocating, to moving to any of those areas would be that they are all cooler climates than what I have in south GA.

Looking at moving to the Tampa area along with my bil. Needs lots of things to fall in place first for both of us, but am so looking forward to getting away from cold winters and taxes.

Not looking to relocate, but if a job opened up for me in Raleigh, NC or Fort Collins, CO we would be there no questions asked.

How could I forget ... I did a sabbatical in Los Alamos for a couple months back in the day. Would obviously live in Santa Fe, and while the city is somewhat isolated (Albuquerque is an hour away), it's probably one of the top 5 cities I've ever visited and wouldn't hesitate to move there either if I could convince the wife.

Last edited:
I would totally move to California if my wife and I could do it. We love the West Coast. If I could save enough I would not mind moving to the UK for retirement.

Have not lived in Greenville, SC since about 43 years ago but have been visiting there my entire life. My mother's family is from that area. I would not hesitate in the least to move there if a job opportunity arose. I will qualify that, though, with the fact that I would not live anywhere in the Greenville area where I had to drive on Woodruff Road on a daily basis. It is the absolute worst road I have ever driven on and I lived in Atlanta and Miami before. The only drawback for me, besides the extreme pain in the rear of relocating, to moving to any of those areas would be that they are all cooler climates than what I have in south GA.

There lies a bit of an issue. Because outside of downtown everything one needs to get done in Greenville is on Woodruff Road. It was awful and is the worst road I have ever dealt with, but you have to for just about anything at all. Living there made me realize I had to at least be big city adjacent. The answer all of the time was "Well Charlotte and Atlanta are not too far away". Somethings are perfect for different people.

There lies a bit of an issue. Because outside of downtown everything one needs to get done in Greenville is on Woodruff Road. It was awful and is the worst road I have ever dealt with, but you have to for just about anything at all. Living there made me realize I had to at least be big city adjacent. The answer all of the time was "Well Charlotte and Atlanta are not too far away". Somethings are perfect for different people.

I could stomach that road maybe once or twice a week for shopping / dining. But to have to endure it at least twice a day to go to and from work....no thank you.

I think it's pretty cool that so many of us have lived in different areas throughout our careers or just because you like adventure of trying new things. With my new job I can pretty much move where I want but my territory is from MD to Miami and I'd like to be somewhat near the middle. Hendersonville is 7.5 hrs from Orlando and 7.5 hrs from Northern VA.

I agree about Woodruff, by far the worst road I've ever seen or driven on and I've been on some of the worst in the country lol.

You know I'm stuck here in the frozen tundras of MA, but I have two friends that live in and near Asheville. They both love it, one is from there and the other is an MA transplant. Lots of great food, great nightlife, plenty to do in a laid back atmosphere. No idea about what the golf there is like though!

Golf is definitely a big part of my relocation and I haven't played a lot of the courses out there.

Florida is awesome if golf a mandatory requirement, so many incredible courses it fantastic condition.

We've thought about renting a place in the mountains and a place in florida instead of buying and just switch apartments when the weather calls for it. Florida winters are pretty damn nice.

You know I'm stuck here in the frozen tundras of MA, but I have two friends that live in and near Asheville. They both love it, one is from there and the other is an MA transplant. Lots of great food, great nightlife, plenty to do in a laid back atmosphere. No idea about what the golf there is like though!

Golf is excellent. Some beautiful courses in the area.

Golf is definitely a big part of my relocation and I haven't played a lot of the courses out there.

Florida is awesome if golf a mandatory requirement, so many incredible courses it fantastic condition.

We've thought about renting a place in the mountains and a place in florida instead of buying and just switch apartments when the weather calls for it. Florida winters are pretty damn nice.

If golf is mandatory, you can mark Greenville off the list. A couple of fun courses, a couple of private courses and that is it.

Hey Marc good thread. Can we chime in even if we are only dreaming of relocating, but most likely won't :)

Having lived in Dayton, Raleigh, Tampa, Orlando, Columbia (both Maryland and South Carolina), Los Angeels (LA and Orange County) Washington, DC and Alexandria, Va..I can honestly say I would live in any of those cities again if the right opportunity presented itself.....Well Dayton would have to be an EXTRAORDINARY opportunity.

But seriously a return to Tampa would be the most likely although at this point it appears it would have to be after retirement.

Good thread and a lot of thoughts, pro's and con's can be shared to benefit THP'ers. I've lived in Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta, Dubai, London, Raleigh, and Dallas (along with a few other short stints).

Of all the places I have lived Raleigh was my favorite from a visual perspective, Dallas the least on the visual appeal front, or as my wife says "this place is visually abusive". I have to flip those when it comes to the fun factor, Raleigh is boring out the ying yang while there is always something to do, somewhere to go, some great place to eat in Dallas.

Here is something that never crossed my mind in these moves, my wife and daughters had mild allergies before moving south that amplified in Raleigh and only got worse in Dallas. Now their mornings begin with an allergy pill cocktail in order to get through the day. Something to keep in mind if you have allergies is where you are moving - it can be a big deal.

Here in my mind is the most important factor, if you got fired on Friday how long would it take to find new work in your field and at your salary level? If the area cannot support your way of life beyond the job you moved for then I say don't do it. The expense of moving again, disrupting your life, and most importantly your kids is not worth it. I've been fortunate that this has never been a factor for me but I've seen too many people end up on the bad side of this and marriages have ended under the stress it creates.

Do your research, spend time in the city you plan on living in and don't just do the tourist things. Go to Target, go to the grocery store, see who hangs out there on the weekend and the middle of the day. Loiter in your preferred neighborhood, walk it, hang out for a while, decisions can be confirmed or rejected by spending some more time getting to know where you are going to live rather then focusing on the house.

Good thread and a lot of thoughts, pro's and con's can be shared to benefit THP'ers. I've lived in Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta, Dubai, London, Raleigh, and Dallas (along with a few other short stints).

Of all the places I have lived Raleigh was my favorite from a visual perspective, Dallas the least on the visual appeal front, or as my wife says "this place is visually abusive". I have to flip those when it comes to the fun factor, Raleigh is boring out the ying yang while there is always something to do, somewhere to go, some great place to eat in Dallas.

Here is something that never crossed my mind in these moves, my wife and daughters had mild allergies before moving south that amplified in Raleigh and only got worse in Dallas. Now their mornings begin with an allergy pill cocktail in order to get through the day. Something to keep in mind if you have allergies is where you are moving - it can be a big deal.

Here in my mind is the most important factor, if you got fired on Friday how long would it take to find new work in your field and at your salary level? If the area cannot support your way of life beyond the job you moved for then I say don't do it. The expense of moving again, disrupting your life, and most importantly your kids is not worth it. I've been fortunate that this has never been a factor for me but I've seen too many people end up on the bad side of this and marriages have ended under the stress it creates.

Do your research, spend time in the city you plan on living in and don't just do the tourist things. Go to Target, go to the grocery store, see who hangs out there on the weekend and the middle of the day. Loiter in your preferred neighborhood, walk it, hang out for a while, decisions can be confirmed or rejected by spending some more time getting to know where you are going to live rather then focusing on the house.

This is solid. I agree on most fronts.

Relocation keeps me buying golf clubs. I encourage everyone to move as often as possible :)

Thinking about packing up shop here soon, time to go back home. And if I am lucky enough to get a visa elsewhere. Just looking for more in life, I want more of a challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Climate, cost of living, recreation opportunities, good school system, and of course the kind of work you are skilled for. KellyBo and I LOVE our little country town. Plenty of golf courses in a 20 mile radius, small country town feel but has all the tangible assets one could hope for. If you can't find it in Watkinsville, Athens is a skip and hop away and Atlanta is not far. The problem with this location is it is very desirable and affordable real estate is hard to come by.

Great thread and I almost posted up a similar one yesterday. The wife and I are leaning towards a move to the pan handle of Florida, probably somewhere between Destin and Pensacola. Our daughter is in Pensacola and we'd like to get close enough to be a family again. We've been looking at areas on line and I'm pretty familiar with Destin, Fort Walton Beach and Navarre. Of course, I'm looking at golf course communities, preferably private. I've found private courses are hard to find, especially in Pensacola. Semi-private and public seem to be the norm, probably because they cannot sustain themselves as private. This has become more challenging than I expected. Destin is so crowded, but I love Emerald Bay and a couple of other communities there. Navarre (Hidden Creek) seems a little remote from shopping. Pensacola seems like a city that just happened with no thought going into development. Jeez. Sorry, this turned into a ramble deserving of the Rant thread. I'll come back later after my head clears.

Great thread and I almost posted up a similar one yesterday. The wife and I are leaning towards a move to the pan handle of Florida, probably somewhere between Destin and Pensacola. Our daughter is in Pensacola and we'd like to get close enough to be a family again. We've been looking at areas on line and I'm pretty familiar with Destin, Fort Walton Beach and Navarre. Of course, I'm looking at golf course communities, preferably private. I've found private courses are hard to find, especially in Pensacola. Semi-private and public seem to be the norm, probably because they cannot sustain themselves as private. This has become more challenging than I expected. Destin is so crowded, but I love Emerald Bay and a couple of other communities there. Navarre (Hidden Creek) seems a little remote from shopping. Pensacola seems like a city that just happened with no thought going into development. Jeez. Sorry, this turned into a ramble deserving of the Rant thread. I'll come back later after my head clears.

Destin is a really nice area for golf, there are tons of courses within a 10 mile radius it seems. You are right though, there is a lot going on in Destin. If you could get into one of those communities tho, it may not be that bad.

I figured I'd start a thread for those that are looking to relocate to other cities, and hopefully others that live there or near there can provide some feedback from a local perspective.

My wife and I are looking now towards the western Carolinas. We are both looking for cooler summers and even though I hate extreme cold I can live with 40's and 50's in the winter. We've looked at Hendersonville NC, Asheville NC, Brevard NC, Greenville SC, Charlottesville VA, Historic Richmond VA, and Williamsburg lol.

Anyone live in these areas?

If you are looking for cooler summers RVA and Williamsburg are not it. I live 15 from Williamsburg and only about 35 from RVA. It is in the 90's all the time and humidity. Hendersonville is nice along with Asheville.

Back